-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Advanced Anime Discussion Part II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1006 replies to this topic

#1 of 1007 Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 09:54 AM

This is the second version of our Advanced Anime series of threads (actually the third...but who's counting Posted Image), and we will continue our discussion here. The last thread reached 34 pages and over a 1000 posts, so I think it's fair to say that a new one needed to be started.

You can locate the previous thread here:
Advanced Anime Discussion

That thread will eventually be archived, and when that happens I will put the new url there instead.
www.DigitalHoard.com
Where anime junkies come to get their fix...

My Obsession

#2 of 1007 JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 10:03 AM

[Pan-Dimensional door opens]

Whew! Almost got archived myself Posted Image.

[Pan-Dimensional door closes]

John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

Currently Collecting: Inu Yasha, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Total DVDs: 1436 Anime DVDs: 776 R2 DVDs: 41 R3 DVDs: 6

#3 of 1007 Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 10:03 AM

I currently have about 7 eps (the last two discs) left in Gasaraki, and I am really stoked about what might happen in the conclusion. I don't know about you guys, but I think this show portrays, better than any other, the most realistic mech combat we are likely to see in an anime. The world is gritty and plausible, and it really adds to how much I'm enjoying this show. Although, Yushiro is kind of an underwhelming lead character, but I love the Gowa family intrigue.
www.DigitalHoard.com

My Obsession

#4 of 1007 JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 10:05 AM

Joe:

I agree - they're more like 'walking tanks' than uber-robots. I think the political ending is quite good, as well.

John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

#5 of 1007 Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
[Pan-Dimensional door opens]

Whew! Almost got archived myself .

[Pan-Dimensional door closes]
You can never be too careful.
Quote:
I think the political ending is quite good, as well.
Good good. I was worried that whatever ending they came up with might not turn out to be as plausible as the rest of the show.

So far John, we are OWNING the new thread Posted Image
www.DigitalHoard.com

My Obsession

#6 of 1007 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 11:16 AM

Not for long. Posted Image

Has anyone else seen Hellsing yet? dOc is giving away 5 copies. It sure makes for a nice (albeit dark) change of pace. The only drawback is only 3 eps on the first disc.

Also noted that Amazon.ca had the Escaflowne box on for $212CAN shipped. Hopefully they come through on that one.

#7 of 1007 Clayton Smith

Clayton Smith

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 01:03 PM

It was about time for a new thread, wasn't it?

That overstock site seems too good to be true. I'm browsing their site right now looking at the pricing for some of their titles. I like the look of Hellsing and am looking forward to its release. Put that on a long list of anime I want to pick up. Posted Image
[insert signature here]

#8 of 1007 Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 02:48 PM

I'm here! I can't believe we have a new thread! Isn't this the offical 4th thread? Oh well...

Anyway, Hellsing is when you take Vampires meets Trigun and you have Hellsing. Posted Image Alucard is the coolest! Posted Image (Hint: Spell his name backwards Posted Image ) 13 episodes of gun toting and gun slinging vampire-hunts-vampire story plot. Posted Image

And thanks for the link to Overstock. I will check them out as well. They also have other stuff besides DVD that seems very interesting.

I just got my R1 Escaflowne movie limited edition box. This will compliment my R2 limited edition movie box. Posted Image *giggle*

Posted Image
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#9 of 1007 JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 04:25 PM

Joe said:

Quote:
So far John, we are OWNING the new thread

Yeah, Baby! Posted Image

Kong:

I'm looking forward to picking up Hellsing. It will be another series that I can start collecting. Here are some of my recent new series starts:

GTO - Nearly perfect; a must buy.
Love Hina - Not bad, but somewhat different than the manga.
Betterman - Dark; Interesting character design.
Escaflowne - Finally getting around to picking this one up
Boogiepop Phantom - Makes SE: Lain look easy to comprehend. Freaky, cool.

Older ones I'm still working on:

Sorcerer Hunters - Ok.
Tenchi in Tokyo - The only R1 Tenchi DVDs that I don't completely own.

John.

#10 of 1007 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 05:40 PM

Quote:
Spell his name backwards

Since Pioneer went with Arucard for te US version, it doesn't quite work as well...

I just finished watching Odex's Love Hina, and loved it. I especially liked all the nods it gave to older shows.

#11 of 1007 LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 06:18 PM

Oooh, Hellsing, I can't wait for R1 releases 'cause Japanese are too expensive. I love Integra, she's the finest, best female character of all Anime! Posted Image

How about Noir? It's a 26 episode Nikita meets Anime series and is only available in Japan but released ridiculously, 2 25 min episodes on each disc, 13 $50 volumes, you basically pay $1 a min and would need $720 or so to get the series, shipped.
I wonder if there is any other release on the horizon, I heard rumors that ADV bought it.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#12 of 1007 Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 11:12 PM

Lenny:

As for Noir, that is because it is released by Victor Entertainement, and Victor has never changed from their structure release of 2 episodes per volume, on VHS, on LD, or currently DVD. All of their new shows that are 26 eps are in 13 volumes, including Argent Soma, and Excel Saga and Blue Gender, etc. But I own Noir and I own Argent Soma, so I should know, but they have the coolest boxes (2 per series) ever released for these series.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#13 of 1007 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 02:43 AM

ADV has Noir, but when it is being released I'm not sure. They are also doing a great job (so I'm hearing, haven't got mine yet) on Excel Saga.

#14 of 1007 StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 06:21 AM

I love anime. I haven't got any since February though. I'm thinking about picking up the Jin-Roh the movie and Metropolis DVDs though. The discs I have so far are:

Princess Mononoke
Akira SE
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Perfect Blue
Grave of the Fireflies
Black Jack

Can you guys reccomend som anime movies to get on DVD? I only say the movies, because I'm not really into getting shows on DVD. I'd also probably only watch them once, and the sets are expensive and it'd be a waste of money, where I could have used the money towards other discs. None of my local video rental stores have much anime for rent either. It's also mixed in the other genres of movies, which sucks. Also, would you guys consider Transformers: The Movie an anime title? If so, I'll add that to my list of anime titles.

#15 of 1007 JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 09:33 AM

Stephen:

I would say that you have a large chunk of the good anime movies that are out. If you get the chance, pick up the Jin-Roh 3-disk version. The third disk is the CD soundtrack, which is excellent, IMHO. As for not picking up series, you're really missing out on a lot of good anime. Many of them are worth watching more than once. I'm rewatching Cowboy Beebop currently.

John.

#16 of 1007 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 11:02 AM

I agree with JohnAD that you really are missing a lot by passing on the series, which make up the bulk of my collection. I would say, with a few exceptions, that movies are the weakest anime experiences. There is no way you can build the kind of complex relationships or situations in two hours that you can in a 13 or 26 episode series. I'd hate to see "Lain: the Movie."

#17 of 1007 Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 03:37 PM

Kong,
That first post of yours has to be the all time record for most emoticons in a single paragraph Posted Image

Quote:
GTO - Nearly perfect; a must buy.
Ahh, that's one more show that I have to have yet can't afford...
www.DigitalHoard.com

My Obsession

#18 of 1007 Joe_C

Joe_C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 03:46 PM

Stephen:

Or at the very least, expand your horizons to OVA's if you can't justify springing for the 6-8 disc series (although I don't think that's the right choice either). Some great two disc OVA's are Macross Plus and the Kenshin OVA's Trust & Betrayal, among plenty of others. And the entire Cowboy Bebop series can be had for a little more than $100, so there's really no excuse there.

-------------------

I just finished Gasaraki, and was very, very impressed with the show overall. The political intrigue was believable and actually interesting, and, as I mentioned in the old thread, the mech fights were about as realistically portrayed as such things could ever hope to be. All in all, probably the best series I've seen this year.
www.DigitalHoard.com

My Obsession

#19 of 1007 Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 06:47 PM

I own all of GTO R2 DVDs and I just love the ending. Of course, it doesn't match the manga, but that's a different manner. The ending made me laugh very hard though. It's sad, yet funny. Sad because it's the end of the series, and funny because...well, you have to see for yourself. Posted Image

Due note on GTO, it contains 2 different openings, and 3 different endings, with all songs done by real bands or singers, and not "anime" songs.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#20 of 1007 LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted July 21 2002 - 01:08 AM

I wonder how long it will take for newer shows like Chobits, Full Metal Panic, and .hack\sign to come out over here.
Bootlegs aplenty on ebay but they're terrible, subtitles are unreadable, one because of bad translation, and two, they flash for half a second or 2 mins later.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow