Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

RSP-1066 and delayed sync with digital sources (CD/DD/DTS) and slight popping noise.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 03:37 AM

I'm loving my new 1066/1075/1050 setup, but I'm experiencing some annoying issues with the pre/pro. Whenever I feed it a digital signal, it doesn't lock on to the proper format right away, so I get silence for the first few seconds that the source is playing. During DVD menus this isn't too bad (because who cares really), but I've tossed in a few CDs already and had the beginning of the first song cut off because the 1066 doesn't sync fast enough.

On the status screen there's no version number, so I assume it's recent firmware (I have DD-EX capability and the EX/ES logos are on the front).

Is this just a quirk I have to live with?

edit: Forgot to talk about the popping noise I mention in the title. Basically, there's an audible pop (not loud, but loud enough for me to hear easily) when switching between different formats. For example, when browsing a DVD menu in DD, if I change the audio option to DTS and start the movie, there's a pop when the DD turns off and DTS kicks in.

originaltrilogy.com - Because the special editions suck

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 04:28 AM

Jay even thouhgh you likely have 1.37 firmware you could benefit from going to 1.42 (which is available on my website) Apparently some people have noticed that the signal aqusition time is lower with the newer firmware then the older firmwares so that might help that. I'm not sure where the popping is coming from though...do you have a ground loop problem at all?

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 06:14 AM

At the risk of sounding like a moron, how would I know if I have a ground loop problem?

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 06:24 AM

Groundloop hum is just that, a hum. I don't think it would have anything to do with pops when changing volume.

I've noticed the occasional pops also, I even get them sometimes when skipping forward in UltimateTV or HD recordings. It's not consistent, though; sometimes I don't have the problem. But they're pretty quiet and don't seem to have any relation to volume, so I'm not too worried.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've never upgraded the software in my 1066 and I'm pretty sure it's 1.35. I guess I need to drop them an email and order the cable.
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 07:03 AM

Jeff, are you experiencing delays when switching digital audio formats? During DVD menus it's not much of a bother, but practically every CD I played last night had the first few seconds of the first track cut off. Not a deal-breaker, but still annoying. My Onkyo 797 never had these problems. I guess I'm being picky because I expect a lot more out of a pre/pro that cost nearly twice as much as the receiver it replaced.

And is there anything special about the cable, or is it a standard network or serial cable that I could buy at the store for less than the $30 Rotel is asking for?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 07:17 AM

Jay all the details you need about the cable are on my site since I documented building one myself.

I've not noticed any delay when listening to CD's with my unit running the current firmware so there might be hope for yours. I assume you're using a digital connection for music? What happens if you use an analog input?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Dennis B

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 07:35 AM

This is sounding very much like the same problem that plagued the first Marantz X200 receiver series. The unit was a little too slow at recognizing the input format and engaged the muting circuit during the fist one or two seconds of music.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 19 2002 - 07:41 AM

Yup, digital coax from a Toshiba SD9200. If I remember correctly, analog was fine. I'll have to check it when I get home though. I have one disc in particular, Tom Petty's Wildflowers, where the music in the first track begins almost immediately. That's where the delayed sync was most obvious.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 20 2002 - 03:02 PM

I took it into the dealer today along with my DVD player. They have their own 1066 set up in one of their demo rooms with the 1075 amp, so they hooked up my DVD player to that setup to see what would happen. Using both my own Monster digital coax cable and one of their super expensive ones, the same delay was present as I heard on my 1066.

Next they tried an optical cable. Surprisingly, the delay was eliminated. They also noted that the sound was less "sluggish" than with the coax, which I hadn't noticed, but I wasn't really paying attention to the CD as it played. I thought they might be exaggerating a bit to get me to buy a $60 Toslink cable until the guy in charge handed it to me and said, "It's on me." Very cool.

So my suggestion to anyone using coaxial digital inputs on the Rotel 1066 and experiencing sync delays is to try using Toslink instead.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ChrisSk

ChrisSk

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted July 21 2002 - 05:28 AM

Just a guess, but is there any option for "DTS Delay" or something similar on the digital inputs on the Rotel?

Many processors and receivers will optionally mute the first segment of a digital stream to detect whether it's DTS or not, it's for use with DTS CDs (not DVDs) which will produce white noise until the processor realises it's DTS and not PCM. This could be turned on for the coax input but not for the optical input which is why you saw (or heard) a difference. Bitstreams from DVDs are explicitly flagged as DTS, DD or PCM so don't need this delay. Unless you have some DTS CDs I would disable this delay on all inputs.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 21 2002 - 04:44 PM

No delay that I'm aware of.