What's new

"L.A. Story" dvd has no commentary even though it is listed (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
A couple of days ago, I bought a keep case copy of "L.A. Story" on DVD. This was the copy that listed a director's commentary track on the back. When I popped in the disc, everything that was listed on the back of the case was there except for the commentary track. I looked all over the DVD for it, figuring it might be hidden, but unfortunatly, I never found it. Am I missing something or is it there? Let me know. I think some of you have this version of the movie on DVD as well and I need to know if it's actually there.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Unfortunately the DVD contains no commentary; the cover is a misprint. L.A. Story, a brilliant film in my opinion, really cries out for an anamorphic SE with a commentary track by Martin.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
there are some secret hidden interviews with the cast somewere. dont ask me were i dont remember and i hate that i have to remember how to find them if i want to watch them.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I also bought this disc hoping to listen to the audio commentary and sadly not finding one. Here's hoping for an SE. :D
Here is how to get to the hidden interviews:
Select “Special Features” from the disc’s main menu and then press the left arrow key. This should highlight the infamous freeway sign, which will now say “Kiss me”. If you press “Enter” now, it will take you right to the interview, where Steve explains how he got the idea for he movie. Apart from this interview, there is yet another hidden interview on this disc. Press the left arrow key when you’re in the main menu to highlight the car’s tail lights. If you then hit “Enter” you get a short interview with director Mick Jackson about the character of Harris K. Telemacher. This disc seems to contain an endless array of hidden features. Here are three more. Select Steve Martin, Victoria Tennant or Mick Jackson in the “Cast/Crew” section and press the arrow up key followed by “Enter” to see three more Easter Eggs.
Got it off of dvdreview.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
You know what extra a new DVD of this movie needs?

The cut scene where John Lithgow as Harry Zel interviews the now unemployed Harris (Martin) just after his boss (Woody Harrelson) fires him. It's short, but it contains the gag from the trailer "yeah, I'm calling from my car," with Harris leaning out his window and talking on a pay phone.

Showtime ran it YEARS ago after the feature, with an introduction by John Lithgow, explaining why he was cut, in Martin's words. I contacted Showtime about this ever being made available on home video, they essentially told me never. It really worried me, as they also showed the cut footage from Carolco's T2 on a similar post-feature show, but we all know that did end up on a variety of formats.

Any chance Artisan will assemble the Ultimate Edition of L.A. Story, perhaps in a custom case like T2 or Total Recall?

Back on my meds,

CS

P.S. Speaking of Showtime, any chance of seeing their 30-minute movie series on DVD, especially Jonathan Heap's 12:01, a predecessor to the time-loop comedy Groundhog Day?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks