Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The consolidated "I want to see HEAT get a special edition" thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
185 replies to this topic

#1 of 186 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:25 AM

I just saw Heat for the first time last night. Maybe the best crime drama I've ever seen. I've got two gripes though. First, the video received pretty high marks, with an 8 from IGN who called it "impeccable." That may be true in the lighter scenes, but when things got dark, it was just plain fugly. Compression all over the place. Second thing is, where's the beef? Any word on an SE or should I just buy the one that's already out?
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#2 of 186 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:40 AM

I've heard nothing of a re-release. This was a top-notch transfer when it came out, but I agree about the excessive artifacts for today's standards. However, there aren't many 5.1 tracks, even today, that sound as good as the bank robbery scene!

I do have find memories of this disc. It was the first DVD I ever bought. I remember hooking up my DVD player and putting this movie in and being blown away. I became hooked on DVDs ever since. Posted Image

#3 of 186 bill lopez

bill lopez

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:48 AM

This movie wasn't the hit at the box-office so it looks when they put it out on VHS,laserdisc and then dvd it was a movie only. I remember SCARFACE in 1983 wasn't the hit also and then came to VHS in 1984 and people started buzz on it.
Then it came on laserdisc as Pan&Scan in the 1990's but now it had built up a following so it was released again in widescreen and then one more time in a Box-set Spec. Ed.
So I'm sure with HEAT the same thing will happen. Now that Micheal Mann has had a bomb with ALI a few more and he will have time to work on a Spec. Ed. dvd the way Brian DePalma did with SCARFACE.

#4 of 186 Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 08:58 AM

Andrew, don't forget that Heat is an older DVD release--maybe first generation. The comments you read were probably accurate at that time. Using todays standards, I would tend to agree that it could use a re-issue.

Prior to it's TV broadcast premiere, Michael Mann offered to re-edit the film and add footage, but the network declined. With extra footage available and Mann's eagerness to re-edit would seem to indicate that maybe will get a special edition. I would purchase it in a heartbeat. Heat is one of my favorites. I've probably seen it about 10-15 times.

#5 of 186 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 09:54 AM

Mann is not a big one for special editions. The most you could realistically hope for would be a director's cut.

#6 of 186 ChristianW

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 02:22 PM

Dave H is right... The bank robbery scene has to be one of the best sounding sequences ever.

Those gun shots just sound awesome!

#7 of 186 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 02:42 PM

I bought Heat over X-Mas after some recommendations and I was impressed, great film. Unfortunate that the DVD is barebones though.As for extra scenes I don't think I want a longer cut because the film's length already pushes it for me and I would have a hard time sitting through a three hour movie. Just my opinion though.
-Keith-       

#8 of 186 Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 03:24 PM

Heat wasn't an early transfer: it came out in late '99. Even by the standards of the time it was of poor quality, with excessive grain, poor black level and obvious compression artefacts.

I remember puzzling over why it received so many good reviews back when it was released. Remember, at the time this was nearly two years after the release of Warners' own excellent Contact and nearly a year since their release of The Negotiator. Many titles that are still considered reference quality had also long been available (Blade, Lost in Space, Dragonheart, The Fifth Element etc.).

Adam

#9 of 186 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 05:35 PM

Quote:
The most you could realistically hope for would be a director's cut.

Oh God, No director's cut please! Mann seems to be the only director that removes stuff as much as he adds back in...don't forget what he did to 'Last Of The Mohicans' Posted Image
Recently watched- The Adventures Of Tin Tin 3D, I,Frankenstein 3D, Underworld Awakening 3D, In Time, Solomon Kane, Friday The 13th(2009), The Sessions, Freddy vs. Jason, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, Jason X, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, Friday The 13th Pt VIII:Jason Takes Manhattan, Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Ninja II:Shadow Of A Tear, Friday The 13th Pt VII:The New Blood

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3

"I am the only devil here!"

#10 of 186 Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted February 10 2002 - 03:19 AM

Fine then, using seamless branching,give us both cuts using impeccable source material, excellent video and full bitrate DTS.. Posted Image

Given the compression logistics, maybe that's a bad idea. I would be happy with a remastered reissue at the right price. I love this film!

#11 of 186 Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 10 2002 - 07:08 AM

Scott, I'm with you. I'm not concerned so much with extras but I would love to see a re-issue--even if it's bare-bones--just give us a dts track! I have the laserdisc and the Dolby Digital soundtrack on there is a step above the Dolby Digital track on the DVD.

#12 of 186 Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 11:46 PM

I think the currenmt transfer is perfectly representative of the way Heat looked in the theaters. I saw it 3 times in 95' on a really big screen, and I seem to remember noticeable grain in the image... Adds to the charm IMO. Posted Image
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#13 of 186 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:14 AM

Would buy it again for a DTS soundtrack.

The finale sounds amazing with the planes flying around!

#14 of 186 Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:25 AM

There are many scenes in Heat that look like bad cable TV reception, particularly in the later half of the movie. I do not remember it looking like that in the theater.

Jeff

#15 of 186 Tony Lai

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 03:55 AM

Be advised that this thing is 174 minutes (IIRC, perhaps it's more?) - and VERY FEW non-DVD related sites know a good transfer from their butthole...

And updated transfer and sound would be great. Both the DVD and laserdisc have mediocre picture.

T.

#16 of 186 Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 03:59 AM

Im very happy with the current disc. When I got my Surround Sound unit, that was the first disc I put in and I was blown away!

#17 of 186 WoodyH

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 04:37 AM

It's funny...I hadn't watched Heat in a while, but had the soundtrack playing while dinking around the apartment, and ended up watching the movie before I went to bed.

Was rather surprised as I watched it though, that some parts of it looked so bad - grainy and washed out. I just chalked it up to having better equipent than I did when I watched it last (went from a 10+ year old 46" rear projection to a brand new 27" WEGA...smaller picture, but much better quality), and I've been noticing that along with increased resolution sometimes comes the increased ability to see defects.

Ah, well. That bank heist is still one hell of a rush. Posted Image
Michael Hanscom
Eclecticism

#18 of 186 Brandon_S

Brandon_S

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 06:13 AM

I just watched this film the other day and thought the grain in the darker scenes was probably intentional. Then I watched the trailers that are on the disc and they looked much cleaner. I guess we will find out if and when we get a special edition how the film is really supposed to look.

Brandon Smith
AOL IM: BdoUK
http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
btsmit2@uky.edu

#19 of 186 Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Andrew, don't forget that Heat is an older DVD release--maybe first generation

Heat on DVD is definitely not an older DVD release. I remember waiting two years after I bought my player in '97 before the film was released on DVD...

8^B
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#20 of 186 Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 10:31 AM

Richard is correct. Heat wasn't released until the summer of 1999. It's not first-generation (at least not in the Blade Runner sense of the phrase). Posted Image

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow