Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Should HTF solicit donations for a VARIETY AD? Poster Enclosed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 of 175 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,990 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:42 AM

There are many threads on the forum conveying
member's disgust over certain studios putting
out full-frame only releases.

The question has come up time and time again
about whether it is worth soliciting the
membership to raise the thousands of dollars
it would cost to place an ad in VARIETY
magazine calling attention to the butchering
Hollywood is doing to this artform.

I'll let everyone talk about the merits of
whether it is worth going forth with a campaign.

To be honest, I think the campaign would be
highly recognized in the industry, but ultimately
would fall on deaf ears. This is about money --
not preserving an art form.

I also think that with sales increasing on 16x9
televisions, the next hi-def format will see the
end of full-frame movies.

Still, I offer this thread to you all, and start
it off with a poster that Jay Mitchsoky sent
to me.

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 175 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:44 AM

I think the poster is excellent.

And I'd be willing to donate what I'm able.

Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 175 OFFLINE   Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationMid-West, USA

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:47 AM

Great idea Ron. Just a suggestion: You might want to get a scan of the entire portrait, lest the point become moot.
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.

#4 of 175 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,188 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:49 AM

It would be a waste of money on the part of our members! The whole studio DVD strategy involved with releasing movies in their OAR or not is predicated on strictly financial terms without little concern for artistic integrity. Crawdaddy

#5 of 175 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:54 AM

One question... what movie is that? you should definitely use a film that is currently only in P&S on DVD.

#6 of 175 OFFLINE   Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:55 AM

I think the effort would be better targeted at the general public rather than the audience that reads Variety. I doubt the studios truly care one way or the other about the widescreen issue -- they just want to put out what sells.
Tom Rhea

#7 of 175 OFFLINE   Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 07:59 AM

Count me in, I donate...
Bill

My Collection at DVD Profiler

#8 of 175 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:04 AM

A potentially good approach to take would be to print a list of names with a heading like: The money I donated to put this ad to print would've been spent on a DVD, but it wasn't available in widescreen. But I feel like the whole thing wouldn't have much of an effect, anyway, unless the sales numbers were going along with it.
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#9 of 175 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:08 AM

I would certainly be willing to participate. It might be best to use a cropped image from a film that isn't available in OAR on DVD, to better drive the point home. I think the HTF URL should be included someplace in the AD. Doesn't have to be headline size, but it will serve to direct people who are taken by the ad.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#10 of 175 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Second Unit

• 339 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:19 AM

I love the idea, but think it should be targeted at the consumer level. Perhaps a full page ad in USA Today, TV Guide, or Entertainment Weekly?
SpenceJT

My DVD Collection
"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" - Capt. Mal Reynolds "Serenity"

#11 of 175 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:20 AM

I'd donate...regardless of if the studios change their mind, they won't be getting my money until they fully commit to OAR releases.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#12 of 175 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:20 AM

Regretfully, I would not support this otherwise worthy initiative. It is a mis-driection of effort and does not reach the target market, which is the consumer. A one-time shot at changing the minds of studio heads who answer to share-holders and make decisions in board-rooms, will not achieve the intended results. I could understand producing the poster and marketing it to the B&M retailers and video stores, asking them to mount them in the ir DVD sections. They would not, of course, since they are there to sell product, not educate the consumer. Turn it into a postcard and surreptitiously plant them in stores all over the US and Canada. Mail them by the thousands to studios and stores! If anything, let's donate enough money to buy the rights to Final Countdown; so it can be done right!
Peter

My Collection

#13 of 175 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:24 AM

We should do some culture jamming. Print up some stickers with non-damaging adhesive and stick them to all the fullscreen DVDs in stores and rental establishments. heh.
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#14 of 175 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:25 AM

I support doing something like this but i agree it has to be in a more cosumer based magazine or newspaper capt

#15 of 175 OFFLINE   Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:25 AM

I agree with spence...maybe we need to convey this message to consumers. The studios would still see the ad if we put it in USA Today. I think putting it in Variety would be a waste of money. dan

#16 of 175 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:41 AM

I like the poster, but I really don't think an ad would change anything. Most people pay little to no attention to magazine ads, and I'd say that only a small percentage of those who do pay any attention to it will even give it a second thought.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#17 of 175 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:52 AM

Count me in as well, yet I feel like Spence that we should concentrate on regular newspapers instead of tradepapers like Variety. Heck we could even make a Radio/TV commercial with the donated money and get our message across in a more effective way.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#18 of 175 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 08:52 AM

A single ad in Variety will hit the point home. What you need to do is list examples of films that are only P&S and then the list of plaintiffs who donated with the aforementioned "I would have spent this money on a DVD" then the HTF URL THAT would be great, because it shows exactly how many people are ticked We should also enlist DVDTalk, AVS Forums and other respected sites to spread the expense and the name list

#19 of 175 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,283 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 09:17 AM

I agree with what has been said above, but the studios are not the ones we need to convince. We need to focus our efforts on the consumer market. Ultimately, it's the consumer that drives the dvd market, and studios will provide them with whatever they want. It's a rather simple fundamental business practice of supply and demand, or should I say Demand and Supply. Posted Image
Steve Simon
Home Theater Forum
Retired Administration

#20 of 175 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 09:21 AM

People are trained to ignore ads in their papers, it will not work Full pages in Variety may We need to station people in the malls, giving demonstrations HANDS ON if we want to help the public

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users