What's new

widescreen coming...recommend 1st DVD to watch (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
My Pioneer SD-533HD5 is getting delivered tomorrow and I want to show it off to my GF. She has been questioning the whole "big screen thing" and I want to show her what we've been missing. I've got a whole dedicated room set up and awaiting its arrival. I'll be playing whichever DVD I select through my Panasonic DVD-RP56 progressive player, and my system can handle DD and DTS 5.1. What I want is the DVD that is really going to show off the display ability of a 16:9 HDTV...and a nice 5.1 track to boot.

I know these TV's need many hours to break in, but I'll have to settle for 4-5 hours before the first showing. I'll also calibrate it with AVIA prior to the showing.

So start talking...you don't have much time.

-Tim

System-
TV: Pioneer SD-533HD5
DVD: Panasonic DVD-RP56
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D608

Speakers-
Front: Boston Acoustics VR-950's
Center: Boston Acoustics VR-10
Surrounds: Boston Acoustics Micro 90-X
Sub: Mirage PS-10

other details-
Philips ProntoNeo remote
Comcast Digital Cable w/ HD decoder
6500K backlight
Kodak 18% neutral gray walls and ceiling

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Starship Troopers - the 1.85 transfer will fill your screen and she will be impressed!

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah... but remember, he wants to show it off to his girlfriend. My wife doesn't think much of either of those films.
How about Dr. Zhivago (impressive cinematography)?

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll give a 2nd vote to Peter's nod on "Starship Troopers". I helped my Uncle pick out a new DVD player a few days ago, and we used this disc as a demo. It's sharp, has great colors, and an awesome Dolby Digital 5.1 track. We also demoed "Jurassic Park III", with the same criteria as above.
Save a 2.35:1 scope film for the second day, then you can explain to your GF why widescreen sets sometimes still have those "black bars".. ;)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

Do you have a collection of DVDs already?

If you do, you should list them since you may have a few with exceptional transfers.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
I'll chime in here. Since we talking chicks, show her When Harry Met Sally. I don't know why, but that movie blows me away on DVD. The color in the autumn scenes is very nice. Excellent transfer IMHO.
Then show her Starship Troopers. :D

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I still hold my opinion for Fifth Element, but I guess he probably should stick with a 1.78 or 1.85:1 movie, since hes not going to want to explain to her that after $2500, they still have black bars with 2.35:1! :)
Hmm...whats an excellent looking and sounding 1.85:1 movie that is woman-friendly???
Jurassic Park DTS (Corrected)
A.I.
What Women Want
Pleasantville
Uuuh, Im sure theres more, but all 4 of those have great A/V quality, are women friendly, and are 1.85:1.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Superbit 5th Element is reference #1 period and forever :)
So are both of the Toy Story DVDs.
Here are some "girl" friendly DVDs I own that have transfers that made me stop and go "ahhhh":
Erin Brocokvich
Howard's End (2.35)
Princess Diaries (absolutely reference 1.85:1 transfer...amazing)
Clueless
Legally Blonde (2.35)
Chocolat
Empire of the sun
Lion in Winter (was quite surprised by the amazing image)
Pleasantville
Songcatcher
Sense and Sensibility
The following are not reference by any means, but will be sure to win her over to the joy of home-theater by shere content quality:
Terms of Endeaerment
Pride and Prejudice (new 16x9 version)
Emma (either version)
Fried Green Tomatoes (pretty good transfer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Tim K --

Pearl Harbor

Very chick friendly, impressive colors and detail, and a cool bombing scene for you!

One tip -- as soon as you get the TV, turn the contrast down to about 30%.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The first disc I watched after upgrading to a 16x9 set was The Fifth Element. After I had the set ISF-calibrated, we used The Fifth Element to demo the calibration. And this was before the Superbit version was available -- the SB version is even better.
Gee, which title do you think I would recommend? :)

ace peterson

Second Unit
I would second the Toy Story DVD's. They fill up the screen, and are girl-friendly movies.

Yeah, you know she'd be second guessing your TV if it still had black bars.

Let us know what you end up watching.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'd like to recommend Branaugh's Hamlet...
Of course I can't :angry: so I'll second Toy Story or Shrek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks