What's new

Spider-Man Coming to DVD on November 1, 2002 (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
www.superherohype.com
The announcement we've all been waiting for! According to Variety, Spider-Man will hit DVD & Video on November 1st - that's a Friday! Here's clips from the article...
"Spider-Man" will swing into videostores Nov. 1 with lofty expectations from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, which is mounting the studio's biggest marketing campaign, valued at more than $100 million.
Executives are certain that the $400 million superhero film will surpass "Men in Black" to become the bestselling DVD by any studio to date. But they want to fly even higher, setting their sights on surpassing the home rental biz's all-time top seller, "The Lion King."
That would mean selling nearly twice as many copies of Spidey as "Men in Black," which is estimated to have sold 15 million-16 million.
Company is giving "Spider-Man" an optimum and rare Friday release date that will capitalize on Halloween night retail events and four full weekends of sales leading into the Thanksgiving holiday.
The video division is continuing corporate marketing partnerships that "Spider-Man" had during its theatrical releases with Cingular, Dr. Pepper and Carl's Jr./Hardees. Combined with other partners to be announced, the marketing campaign will involve $45 million in media buys and overall promotions that create 8 billion impressions and increase the value to more than $100 million.
The studio's introductory DVD version of "Spider-Man" will be a two-disc set chockfull of extras, including Tobey Maguire's costume, makeup and screen tests that reportedly were the turning point in convincing director Sam Raimi that the thesp could pull off the physicality of the role.
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment manager of worldwide DVD content Javier Soto said the "Spider-Man" DVD also will provide an extensive history of Marvel's superhero character. In addition to interviews with Marvel's Stan Lee and many of the artists who worked on "Spider-Man" comics, company was granted access to the Marvel archives in order to present galleries of drawings and collections of Spider-Man's loves and enemies in the comics.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
no doubt.. with both lord of the rings and episode 2 also coming out in November.. It will cost alot.

JACOB

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Followed closely (or not too closely) by a movie only editon and then a 2 disc SE version with DTS, then a SuperBit Deluxe version...

ARGHH!!! How I hate the marketing dunderheads at Sony!!

Just make the fucking thing a SuperBit Deluxe version to begin with!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It will not be Superbit deluxe upon release, mark my words!

Otherwise there would be no pan and scam version. Unless the WS version is Superbit and the "fullscreen"(funny expression as to why they dont fill my 16:9 screen)version called it Supershit.

Sorry, cheap shot.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'll take this one with a grain of salt until I see the announcment from Columbia Tristar.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall the last time a home video got a Friday release, but their reasoning seems sound. Either way, I'll be getting a copy.

Bruce

Sarah S

Second Unit
While it looks exciting, I really don't like the phrase "introductory dvd version." Call me picky, but doesn't this sound like the American Pie/Jurassic Park fiasco? I really don't want to choose between 7 versions of the film.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's typical video industry talk just meaning the first release. Videosget re-released and go OOP all the time, it's just that most people weren't aware of it until very recently. People bitch and bitch about double-dipping like it's something new.

I'm positive you can expect a SuperBit release somewhere down the line, but doubt there will be anything beyond that in the near future. I would not be suprised if the initial disc has DTS, since Sam Raimi appears to be a fan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks