Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Search - An MGM Title?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 13 2002 - 04:34 PM

The Search is a great little WWII drama starring Montgomery Clift circa 1948. This film has not made it to disc, including laserdisc. Would love to see it issued on DVD. Since this movie was made in 1948, doesn't it still belong to MGM? I recently picked up another good MGM WWII drama on DVD called Kings Go Forth. This one was made in 1958, and was on the MGM label.Posted Image

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,875 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2002 - 04:42 PM

I believe that title now belongs to Warner. By the way, a great film that hasn't received a lot of exposure over the years. Also, "Kings Go Forth" was originally a United Artists title, who's film category is mainly the property of MGM now.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 04:21 AM

Crawdaddy: Thanks for the info. It gets kinda confusing to figure out who has the rights to movies these days. MGM has been doing a pretty good job of placing some good classics onto DVD. I notice in Leonard Maltin's book, he gives "The Search" four deserved stars. I hope Warner, assuming it is theirs now, will give the release of that film some consideration.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 09:12 AM

I'd buy The Search - great movie!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted July 15 2002 - 01:10 AM

Video Oyster, a rare video dealer, has the MGM/UA VHS release of this film on his website (or sister site) for an obscene amount of money. I guess even the VHS is out-of-print. Love to see it on DVD. More Monty, please. Posted Image

Jon