What's new

The Search - An MGM Title? (1 Viewer)

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
The Search is a great little WWII drama starring Montgomery Clift circa 1948. This film has not made it to disc, including laserdisc. Would love to see it issued on DVD. Since this movie was made in 1948, doesn't it still belong to MGM? I recently picked up another good MGM WWII drama on DVD called Kings Go Forth. This one was made in 1958, and was on the MGM label.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe that title now belongs to Warner. By the way, a great film that hasn't received a lot of exposure over the years. Also, "Kings Go Forth" was originally a United Artists title, who's film category is mainly the property of MGM now.

Crawdaddy

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Crawdaddy: Thanks for the info. It gets kinda confusing to figure out who has the rights to movies these days. MGM has been doing a pretty good job of placing some good classics onto DVD. I notice in Leonard Maltin's book, he gives "The Search" four deserved stars. I hope Warner, assuming it is theirs now, will give the release of that film some consideration.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Video Oyster, a rare video dealer, has the MGM/UA VHS release of this film on his website (or sister site) for an obscene amount of money. I guess even the VHS is out-of-print. Love to see it on DVD. More Monty, please. :)
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks