What's new

Does BEAUTIFUL GIRLS have enough audience to warrant a reissue? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I searched the forum for older post and couldn't find much discussion on this topic, so I thought I'd start one.

In the past I've been pretty surprised to see the forum unify behind some films which I felt were great, but I assumed the rest of the world had never really heard of. Case in point: SAY ANYTHING. I considered this to be a "personal" favorite for me, a film which I was destined to spend my life trying to convince friends to check out. But when the mention of this title went up on the forum, an audience I never knew existed came out in droves to pledge their undying love for this film.

And the other day I was thinking about the film BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. This film ranks number one on my "I thought I would hate it but ended up loving it" list. The film, the characters- everything just struck me as endlessly enjoyable. Heck, to this day I can't see Max Perlich pop up in a movie or on TV without thinking "Look, it's Kev!"

The problem is the current DVD is seriously lacking. To be fair, the disc hit shelves in early 1999, kinda in the infancy of DVD. The picture is non-anamorphic widescreen Laserdisc recycle and there is nothing on the disc but the film.

I was wondering if this film too has a hidden audience who have passed on the current disc and are waiting for a reissue (I noticed the IMDB rating is a quite high 7.1). The film is really well put together, and heck even Rosie O'Donnell is enjoyable- no small feat in my book. The main cast is highlighted by Mira Sorvino, Uma Thurman and Lauren Holly-- three true modern beauties and, unlike the Maxim model of the moment- real quality acresses. Natalie Portman appears in a small but completely film stealing role as Marty, a teen with more wisdom than the majority of "adults" in the picture.

The film just captured so many elements I see everyday among my small town group of friends and acquaintances: The refusal to grow up and let go of your high school reality, the search for meaning in everything but yourself, the obsession of unobtainable goals, the quiet desperation of dysfunctional relationships, and most of all the peculiar way we all fall into our old modes when we find ourselves in the company of old friends...

With the unexpected death of Director Ted Demme we lost forever the chance to get his thoughts on this film (His 3rd feature)- but I really think that Miramax/BV should consider revisiting this title and putting out an edition the fans of this film can really enjoy and cherish- like the Say Anything release from Fox. At the very least the film could certainly use a new reissue with a decent anamorphic transfer... I'm just curious if there is any audience for this film to warrant such a reissue.

-Vince

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There are a number of Miramax titles from the same era that this one was released in that at the very least deserve new anamorphic transfers and rerelease: Sirens, The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down a Mountain, etc.

Beautiful Girls is a great film, and would tie in with Episode II for Portman's role (which indeed did steal the show). Demme's death just goes to show that getting directors and cast to participate in commentaries, even if the films may not be released for some time, should be a priority, as these opportunities can not be relied on indefinitely, and once lost, are gone forever.

That said, it seems BV doesn't quite get it when it comes to a lot of their releases, such as the nonanamorphic releases of their foreign properties (Purple Noon, Belle de Jour - both solicited as anamorphic). It would not surprise me if they neglected all their earlier titles, but I sincerely hope someday they revisit them properly, even if not as SEs.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I loved this film - I'd buy a reissue. I was enchanted by the entire cast and how they interacted. This movie sparkled for me mostly because of the conversations held in their upper Midwest, blue-collar vernacular and philosophies borne from middle-age reflections on lost glory.

Doesn't hurt that the film is set in my 'backyard'. Also, never much liked Timothy Hutton in anything prior to this, but he delivers quite an understated yet memorable performance. Particularly refreshing is the tete a tete's held between Hutton and Portman. She shines here.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Aside from the Professional, I think this is Natalie Portmans best film performance yet.

Re-issue is warranted!

wally

Second Unit
Thanks Vince,

Funny, I was just talking to a friend about this film the other day. I'd buy it too. Great performances from everyone. Michael "The Plow" Rapaport is outstanding as are Richard Bright and David Arquette as Widower and son that don't have many females in their lives.

Ms. Portman glows. And yes Rosie is marginally likable.

Chalk it up as a purchase for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As an owner of the current release, I'd buy a re-release (hopefully with some good SE material on it).

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I had not intention of liking this film but when I stumble across it on a movie channel and watched it, I really enjoyed it. I would buy the SE.
Marc

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Wouldn't it be a good way to honor Ted Demme's memory by getting the cast together to do a commentary or some retrospective interviews ? Nah it's too logical to happen probably. But I would also buy a re-issue!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Beautiful Girls is Jonathon Demme's favorite film that Ted made, so perhaps he would be willing to contribute to some sort of DVD re-release.
DJ

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I love the film, but doubt that BV will do much with it. I kept my WS laserdisc.

Great soundtrack, though-- and my favorite band, Cincinnati's late, lamented Afghan Whigs show up to play not one, but two songs.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Beautiful Girls is one of my favorite films! It's an intelligent comedy with a superb cast. I would buy an anamorphic SE in a second, and I have a half-dozen friends who would do the same. Are you listening Disney?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm in. I remember just liking the movie when I first saw it in theaters. Once I got to see it again (intact, as well as in bits and pieces), I really grew to love it.
I don't own the current Beautiful Girls DVD, but a SE would certainly go on my purchase list.
Good luck with the crusade, Vince! This one may not be quite as 'beloved' as Say Anything..., but who knows what the future holds? Supergirl got a Special Edition! :laugh:

Grant Degs

Agent
This is one of my favorite films. Could watch it over
and over. I own it now and would snatch up an SE in
a heartbeat.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also love a SE of a really enjoyable film. A real unexpected treat of a movie! At least here in the UK our bare-bones disc has an anamorphic transfer (though only stereo sound).

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I put this in the category of "I thought I would love it but hated it".
It felt like a bunch of actors reading a wordy screenplay. Then the forced Neil Diamond sign along.
I love all the actors, I like Ted Demme, but this movie did nothing for me.

I can't recall how many times I was saying while watching, no one would talk like that.

Woody Allen can get away with it, Demme sadly can't.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks