What's new

Planet of the Apes - Box set? (1 Viewer)

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
What are your thoughts about the Planet of the Apes "Evolution" box set?

Is it work it to have all the movies or is the first one ('68, Heston) the only one worth buying?

-Jack

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Do you like all the movies? Or want to see all the movies? Then buy the box set. That's all there is to it.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I like how the budgets for the films are backwards to regular sequels. Instead of going up in budget for each successive sequel, the budget just keeps on going down as you progress. If I could find a decent deal on this set (ebay or otherwise) I'd pick it up in a heartbeat! :)
It should be noted that all these films are non-anamorphic (although I have watched POTA at a friend's house and DAMN is it a nice transfer (abiet non-anamorphic)... as nice as say: Armageddon-Criterion or the Abyss.
:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Instead of going up in budget for each successive sequel, the budget just keeps on going down as you progress.
Actually this isn't so unusual unless the first film was a rather low budget film surprise hit or the sequel is made much later. A lot of times they figure "less money with similar income = more profit for us".

As for the ape films, well I always rather like Conquest which is a bit darker and Beneath and Escape are both pretty good, though Beneath is mostly just a straight remake to capture the original appeal. Escape and Conquest have new twists to the stories which gives them appeal.

However, only the first is a great film (which I really think it is, an SF masterpiece). I bought the set and have no regrets.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I feel pretty much the same about the Apes sequels as I do about the Alien movies: The first two are great, the rest are a waste of time. I have the first one, but can't seem to find "Beneath the POTA" by itself anywhere.

Anybody know if the only way to get "Beneath" is to buy the box set? Or will it also get it's own 5-Star treatment in the future?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The only way to get the other 'Apes' films is in the boxset. Only the first one is available separately.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully a better DVD box set will be produced next year for the original film's 35th anniversary. Perhaps we'll get special editions of the sequels in addition to the rumored 5-Star Collection edition of the original. Of course, any future box set will not include "Behind the Planet Of The Apes" because Image now has the rights, but they've already released a 2-disc version.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I just have the one DVD. The original Planet of the Apes. My mom really hated the remake and she wanted me to see the original. She was gonna rent it on VHS from the video store, but I didn't let her, knowing the VHS is in Pan and Scan. So, I looked the DVD up on Amazon and then on eBay. Then mom's bashing DVD because it's in the letterbox format. I told her, DVDs last forever compared to VHS and this is the way I want to see Planet of the Apes if you want me to see it, in letterbox. The letterbox give you more of the picture. So, we a little battle on eBay, we finally won the auction on the DVD and we watched it that night of that day it came. She made one comment "Oh, we gotta watch it on this skinny screen?" I said nothing afterwards. We settled down and watched it and it was great. The Fox Movie Channel did a widescreen comparison to the ending of that movie. If I can show mom the difference there, maybe she'll like it better. On the DVD, you see the blown up statue of liberty on one side and you see Tailor (Charlton Heston) on the other side. But when Fox Movie Channel let me see Pan and Scanned part, not only did Charlton get completely wiped from that scene, but the picture was all grainy and the colors got real pale. You get a lot better color, clarity, and picture when seeing a movie in it's original wide format. A lot of Pan and Scan movies I've seen in the past are grainy as hell. Looks like shit.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
BTW. I may go ahead and buy the boxed set later down the road. Maybe I'll wait for an anamorphic tranfer. I really wanna see the other PLTA movies. When I buy the boxed set, I'll probably put the one DVD I got of the original back on eBay or something, because the boxed set will already have it.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I only hope that the new boxed set is made of a more sturdier cardboard, ala Monroe Collection. My current Apes boxset is totally fallen apart.

Gruson

Second Unit
If you want the set, get it! I own a 65" 16x9 TV and I usually hate non-anamorphic DVDs. This set is an exception...the transfers look very good.

I actually enjoyed every film in this set. IMO all of them are better than Burton's Ape film.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I grew up with the ape movies so when I had the chance to pick up the box set (unopened) for $35 I didn’t think twice about it because I really wanted the Behind the Planet of the Apes disc.

As others have stated, the discs are not anamorphic but the transfer for Planet of the Apes is very good.

If you like the movies the box set is a good value.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have the non-ana transfer from DVD onto VHS. That will suffice for me unless they release these in anamorphic. Then I'll buy the DVD's/Box Set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks