Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

*** Official "THE CROCODILE HUNTER: COLLISION COURSE" Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 07 2002 - 05:36 AM

Crikey!! I just watched Ebert & Roeper and they both gave this thumbs-up! Both of them spent large parts of the review doing bad imitations of Irwin's accent.

Yes, it was as embarassing as it sounds. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 05:51 AM

I like the show sometimes, but a movie? No thanks! Maybe I'll pick it up when it lands on the $3.99 DVD rack at wal-mart.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 06:55 AM

I am *so* there for the first show on opening day...

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:46 AM

Count me in.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Stevie O

Stevie O

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:53 AM

My son (7) and I will go - he loves the TV show, and has even written to the Irwins in Oz (and received a bunch of neat stuff in return).

Sounds like a great way to waste a lazy summer afternoon, and anyone who names their daughter after his dog can't be all bad!

Cheers!

Steve
Steve Onions
Ottawa Canada

"Two things Donkey - SHUT... UP!"

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   BradyB

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 04:36 AM

When I saw the trailer for this my friends and I all agreed to go see it opening weekend, at a late show, and just a wee bit drunk... that is the only way u can take steve for 90 minutes.

Krike

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 05:18 AM

Two thumbs up from Siskel and Roeper... go figure...

Still, I wouldn't be caught dead seeing this. And that's just personal preference, tons of people love the show. I can barely tolerate five minutes of that great big Schmo.

Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 11 2002 - 07:17 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course" should be posted to this thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 03:47 PM

I just went to see it and liked it and looking forward to the DVD.

One question I have, don't worry, no spoilers here, is that the AR of the movie was changing throughout, for most of it, it was 2.35 but for some scene (Which were sort of like, watching the TV Show) it was at 1.85 (1.78?) with black bars on the sides.

So will the DVD show the movie in it's OAR (I hope or No Sale) and whenever it switches to 1.78 that it fills a 16x9 screen instead of having black bars on the sides IN ADDITION to the ones at the top and bottom like all the 2.35 movies. For people with Mattes, that would cause problems, but I wouldn't mind matting my screen for a 1.85 presentation and having partially unmatted black bars for the 2.35 parts than having the 1.85 parts way to small.

I just hope they don't avoid that problem by releasing it P&S Only, they better not!
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 08:50 PM

Martin, no offense, but I sure hope that they don't implement the aspect ratio flip flop idea as you suggested Posted Image

Besides being a pain for those of us who matte our screens, it would probably make the 'TV' snippets look more cinematic then the actual film because they would take up the larger portion of the screen.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted July 13 2002 - 04:56 PM

Oh well, that does make some sense come to think of it... As long as they don't cut off the sides...
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted July 13 2002 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image last night I watched a special on the discovery channel about the making of this movie, and I truly believe it will be better than the movie itself. Like i said above, I love the show but the movie just looks ridiculous Posted Image I will give it a chance though (with a rental).

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted July 16 2002 - 12:17 PM

Apologies to those who liked this movie, but... This had to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time.

The trailers led me to believe that this movie would play on just how absurd the premise was, but that's nowhere in evidence in the flick itself. I suppose there's merit in a movie that tries to educate the viewer about the critters of the outback, but WHY OH WHY would I ever want THIS MUCH of it.

There would probably be potential in the action sequences if they weren't so overlong and incompetent. The Irwins are painfully out of their element when having to do something staged, and the "actors" aren't even as realistic as the live animals.

Halfway through the movie, I went into a giggle fit because I just couldn't believe how many awful, awful lines there were (none of them out of Steve Irwin's mouth, mind you). Throw in a couple poop jokes and the lamest fart gag I've ever seen, and well... at least you've got a lame fart gag.

A montage of clips from the actual Crocodile Hunter show over the closing credits proves that there was potential to make this movie exciting, but someone really lost sight of that in the translation.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival