Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ABC broadcast - Star Trek: First Contact

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 03:31 PM

I had hoped it would have been padded with some extra scenes, as has been done with past Trek films for television. But I was instead disappointed by what they left out--including such classic lines as, "Don't you people in the 24th century ever pee?"
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,197 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 11 2002 - 03:37 PM

also in the beginning they cut when the pointy thing went into the captains eye.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 04:34 PM

I assume this was cropped from 2.40:1 OAR to make it fit 16:9 HDTV.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 07:13 PM

Of course they left out a lot. A 111 minute film plus commercials won't fit into a two hour timeslot.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 06:30 AM

But I was hoping to maybe get a peek of what we can expect with the eventual DVD re-release--just like we're about to with Wrath of Kahn, which will include scenes only seen in network broadcast.

Michael:

The full-frame was especially irritating during the drunk scene with Troi and Cochrane; Their reactions to them drinking that bad booze was ruined by the P&S, you couldn't quite see all of them.Posted Image
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted July 15 2002 - 04:02 AM

So glad I have the DVD instead Posted Image.

I would love to see networks start running films in widescreen. It wouldn't matter terribly though since I won't watch anything edited for content or with jarring commercial breaks.

I'm fairly surprised Paramount didn't sweetheart this one over to UPN.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 15 2002 - 05:01 AM

Actually, they don't sweetheart anything to anyone. It's stupid, but I'm sure ABC was willing to pay a lot more. Don't forget, the movie has aired on TV before. Insurrection has also been on TV

And why was a good HTFer watching P&S? SHAME!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted July 15 2002 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
The full-frame was especially irritating during the drunk scene with Troi and Cochrane; Their reactions to them drinking that bad booze was ruined by the P&S, you couldn't quite see all of them.
I noticed that too! Posted Image Same problem with Pulp Fiction. When Travolta and Thurman drive up to Jackrabbit Slim's, you only see Thurman in the P&S, while Travolta (who looks completely stoned...priceless) has been excised from the frame.