Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Low Volume on Beautiful Mind?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   RobertSing

RobertSing

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 01:53 PM

Anyone else have this problem? I listen to most DVDs at -32 to -36 on my Denon AVR1602. I had A Beautiful Mind up at -24 to -22 and still was struggling to hear at times. I didn't read anything about this in a review. Seemed to play okay so I didn't get the sense there was anything wrong with the disc? Any idea what the problem was?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, it's just a quite movie with a lot of low talking. You just have to crank it up.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 12:24 PM

too many titles are being encoded low nowadays.

it's ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. it's nothing new.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 01:47 PM

Most of the time before I watch a movie I check out the review at DVDfile.com to see what they thought of the audio. If they say that's its all dialogue I know I can push it a little higher than normal. But the movie didn't sound quiet to me, it sounded pretty normal. It might also depend on how you have your center channel calibrated.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 11:05 PM

The volume did seem a little lower than most other titles, but all in all I thought the 5.1 mix was pretty good.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted July 13 2002 - 03:31 AM

I only thought the dialog was a little low, probably because alot of it was whispering. I agree with SteveA that this was a good mix for a non-action movie. I just wish it would have had a dts track. I personally find that dialog is a little louder and more defined with dts.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 11:48 AM

I noticed this a lot. I had to turn my reciever much louder than any normal title to hear all the dialogue and for the film to sound reasonable. Also, did anyone think there wasn't enough LFE? When the desk was thrown out the window, there was hardly any. Oh well, this is a dialogue driven movie, can't complain too much.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Bill Laskowski

Bill Laskowski

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 04 2002 - 07:21 PM

I think the problem is attributable to Russell Crowe's voice--it's low in pitch, soft in volume, and his chin seems to be on his chest a lot. Part of this is due to his interpretation--paranoid schizophrenics do a lot of mumbling--but he's always been a soft talker. I noticed this at the beginning of Gladiator. "Pardon me, general--unleash what?"