What's new

Low Volume on Beautiful Mind? (1 Viewer)

RobertSing

Agent
Anyone else have this problem? I listen to most DVDs at -32 to -36 on my Denon AVR1602. I had A Beautiful Mind up at -24 to -22 and still was struggling to hear at times. I didn't read anything about this in a review. Seemed to play okay so I didn't get the sense there was anything wrong with the disc? Any idea what the problem was?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's just a quite movie with a lot of low talking. You just have to crank it up.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
too many titles are being encoded low nowadays.

it's ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. it's nothing new.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Most of the time before I watch a movie I check out the review at DVDfile.com to see what they thought of the audio. If they say that's its all dialogue I know I can push it a little higher than normal. But the movie didn't sound quiet to me, it sounded pretty normal. It might also depend on how you have your center channel calibrated.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The volume did seem a little lower than most other titles, but all in all I thought the 5.1 mix was pretty good.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I only thought the dialog was a little low, probably because alot of it was whispering. I agree with SteveA that this was a good mix for a non-action movie. I just wish it would have had a dts track. I personally find that dialog is a little louder and more defined with dts.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I noticed this a lot. I had to turn my reciever much louder than any normal title to hear all the dialogue and for the film to sound reasonable. Also, did anyone think there wasn't enough LFE? When the desk was thrown out the window, there was hardly any. Oh well, this is a dialogue driven movie, can't complain too much.

I think the problem is attributable to Russell Crowe's voice--it's low in pitch, soft in volume, and his chin seems to be on his chest a lot. Part of this is due to his interpretation--paranoid schizophrenics do a lot of mumbling--but he's always been a soft talker. I noticed this at the beginning of Gladiator. "Pardon me, general--unleash what?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks