What's new

List of Canadian exclusive/superior releases (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
With the recent news of the Canadian 3-disc Special Edition of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" being exclusive to Canada, it got me wondering. Are there many such releases that are either exclusive to Canada (but, obviously, still Region 1, so playable in the US), or superior (in ways of extras, transfer, or audio)?

I can start this off by listing the titles that I know about, such as the above-mentioned 3-disc edition of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" coming 10/01/02, and also the "Amelie" Collector's Limited Edition. Then there is, I believe, "eXistenZ", which is available in a much better package (anamorphic, commentaries...). That's all I know of. I'd like to know more.

On a related note, "Harry Potter" DVD is titled like the original book in Canada: "...Philisopher's Stone".

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Ginger Snaps - Canada has a full blown SE (with anamorphic widescreen) while the US has a bare bones edition (in full frame).
Good Will Hunting - Canada has an extra deleted scene and anamorphic widescreen (US release is non anamorphic).

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Lost and Delirious has a behind-the-scenes featurette and a photo gallery. Not much of a difference but a slight one.

The Canadian eXistenZ has an audio commentary and documentary not on the US disc.

There are also some Canadian exclusive discs. To my knowledge Maelstrom and Last Wedding are unavailable in the US.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
The Hole
The Kingdom
Kandahar
The Piano Teacher
Smallville
all recent Canadian exclusives :emoji_thumbsup:

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
The U.S. "eXistenZ" is also anamorphic (I believe that it was one of the first two or three Buena Vista discs that were anamorphic), though the Canadian edition does have three commentaries plus an hour-long documentary on the film's production designer. The Canadian edition also sports a DD track encoded at 448 Kbps instead of 384 Kbps.

The Canadian "Good Will Hunting" is also anamorphic, though it is not a new transfer; rather, it is an upconversion from the U.S. non-anamorphic transfer. It also has one more deleted scene as stated above.

"Pulp Fiction" has, to my knowledge, never had an anamorphic release anywhere in Region 1 (the new edition will obviously fix that), though the Canadian edition does have the deleted scenes.

The Canadian edition of "Emma" (1996) has a French DD 2.0 track in addition to the English track (though this probably doesn't matter to many folks outside of Canada). Both the U.S. and Canada editions of this are non-anamorphic.

See above for information about "Trainspotting."

I've also heard that some of the works of Canadian filmmakers (probably including Egoyan, Cronenberg, etc.) have fared, predictably, better in Canada, but I don't know off-hand, and I'm too lazy to check on this.

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
The eXistenZ:SE with all the extras of the canadian R1 were on the R2 release last year.

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
Good post, I didn't realize Brotherhood of the Wolf (BOTW) had a better Canadian version being released. Can anybody recommend a Canadian on-line retailer with a good price on BOTW?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Jackie Brown has also been available here for years, though to my recollection, it's pan and scan only for some reason. Also, Lost Highway has been out here for years too, also, sadly, in pan and scan :frowning:
cheers!
Josh

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Beast Wars: Transformers

...7 episodes each instead of the six on the Rhino releases. Yay Alliance!
I just wish Alliance would bring out Volume 3!

John O

Stunt Coordinator
They also have that cool French film Vidocq . BTW does anyone know if the extras on this disc are in English or have English subtitles? I have the French release with a smokin DTS track with english subtitles and tons of extras I can't understand ;).

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
They also have that cool French film Vidocq . BTW does anyone know if the extras on this disc are in English or have English subtitles? I have the French release with a smokin DTS track with english subtitles and tons of extras I can't understand .
Nope the extras on the Canadian Vidocq are not subtitled. Well that's not entirely true the theatrical trailer is subtitled but aside from that none of the other bonus features are subtitled.
You can read my review at Link Removed

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Two titles that were released in Canada only were: The Sum of Us and The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.

I am looking for even more gems. Please keep this thread alive, it is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks