Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

List of Canadian exclusive/superior releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 07:15 AM

With the recent news of the Canadian 3-disc Special Edition of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" being exclusive to Canada, it got me wondering. Are there many such releases that are either exclusive to Canada (but, obviously, still Region 1, so playable in the US), or superior (in ways of extras, transfer, or audio)?

I can start this off by listing the titles that I know about, such as the above-mentioned 3-disc edition of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" coming 10/01/02, and also the "Amelie" Collector's Limited Edition. Then there is, I believe, "eXistenZ", which is available in a much better package (anamorphic, commentaries...). That's all I know of. I'd like to know more.

On a related note, "Harry Potter" DVD is titled like the original book in Canada: "...Philisopher's Stone".

#2 of 28 Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 07:36 AM

Ginger Snaps - Canada has a full blown SE (with anamorphic widescreen) while the US has a bare bones edition (in full frame).

Good Will Hunting - Canada has an extra deleted scene and anamorphic widescreen (US release is non anamorphic).

#3 of 28 Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 08:03 AM

the Amelie DVD in Canada has no English dubbed track or subtitles in English.

#4 of 28 Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 09:50 AM

Lost and Delirious has a behind-the-scenes featurette and a photo gallery. Not much of a difference but a slight one.

The Canadian eXistenZ has an audio commentary and documentary not on the US disc.

There are also some Canadian exclusive discs. To my knowledge Maelstrom and Last Wedding are unavailable in the US.
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#5 of 28 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 10:13 AM

The Hole
The Kingdom
Kandahar
The Piano Teacher
Smallville

all recent Canadian exclusives Posted Image

#6 of 28 Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 11:02 AM

Pulp Fiction is anamorphic in canada. But that wont matter much longer,

#7 of 28 Sam Owens

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 12:47 PM

Trainspotting has 20 minutes of deleted scenes and interviews (but suffers a slight (<1 second) frame for frame replacement of a sex scene...
30 AFI Top 100 films left to watch.

#8 of 28 Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 01:52 PM

The U.S. "eXistenZ" is also anamorphic (I believe that it was one of the first two or three Buena Vista discs that were anamorphic), though the Canadian edition does have three commentaries plus an hour-long documentary on the film's production designer. The Canadian edition also sports a DD track encoded at 448 Kbps instead of 384 Kbps.

The Canadian "Good Will Hunting" is also anamorphic, though it is not a new transfer; rather, it is an upconversion from the U.S. non-anamorphic transfer. It also has one more deleted scene as stated above.

"Pulp Fiction" has, to my knowledge, never had an anamorphic release anywhere in Region 1 (the new edition will obviously fix that), though the Canadian edition does have the deleted scenes.

The Canadian edition of "Emma" (1996) has a French DD 2.0 track in addition to the English track (though this probably doesn't matter to many folks outside of Canada). Both the U.S. and Canada editions of this are non-anamorphic.

See above for information about "Trainspotting."

I've also heard that some of the works of Canadian filmmakers (probably including Egoyan, Cronenberg, etc.) have fared, predictably, better in Canada, but I don't know off-hand, and I'm too lazy to check on this.

#9 of 28 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 02:23 AM

Giant--on DVD-18 Warner Bros. Fuzzy transfer, absolutely great extras.
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#10 of 28 luke cav

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 03:15 AM

The eXistenZ:SE with all the extras of the canadian R1 were on the R2 release last year.

#11 of 28 Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 04:23 AM

Other Canadian exclusives:

Gangster No. 1
Croupier (p/s only, unfortunately)

#12 of 28 Mike G

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 08:27 AM

Good post, I didn't realize Brotherhood of the Wolf (BOTW) had a better Canadian version being released. Can anybody recommend a Canadian on-line retailer with a good price on BOTW?

#13 of 28 HenrikTull

HenrikTull

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
Pulp Fiction is anamorphic in canada.

No, it is not.
A Little Slice of Heaven

#14 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 11:52 AM

Jackie Brown has also been available here for years, though to my recollection, it's pan and scan only for some reason. Also, Lost Highway has been out here for years too, also, sadly, in pan and scan Posted Image

cheers!

Josh

#15 of 28 Richard Smith

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 01:29 PM

Quote:
The eXistenZ:SE with all the extras of the canadian R1 were on the R2 release last year.

This came out a couple of years ago and for some reason is non anamorphic, so the Canadian version is the one to go for.

#16 of 28 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 02:51 PM

Beast Wars: Transformers

Posted Image Posted Image

...7 episodes each instead of the six on the Rhino releases. Yay Alliance!

I just wish Alliance would bring out Volume 3!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#17 of 28 John O

John O

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 04:31 PM

They also have that cool French film Vidocq . BTW does anyone know if the extras on this disc are in English or have English subtitles? I have the French release with a smokin DTS track with english subtitles and tons of extras I can't understand Posted Image.

#18 of 28 Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted July 11 2002 - 04:54 PM

Quote:
They also have that cool French film Vidocq . BTW does anyone know if the extras on this disc are in English or have English subtitles? I have the French release with a smokin DTS track with english subtitles and tons of extras I can't understand .

Nope the extras on the Canadian Vidocq are not subtitled. Well that's not entirely true the theatrical trailer is subtitled but aside from that none of the other bonus features are subtitled.

You can read my review at MadmanMark.com
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#19 of 28 NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 12:53 AM

Two titles that were released in Canada only were: The Sum of Us and The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.

I am looking for even more gems. Please keep this thread alive, it is invaluable.

#20 of 28 Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted July 12 2002 - 01:08 AM

exclusive: The Hole

Forum Nav Content I Follow