Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

FYI -- Indian Summer Pan & Scan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 Margo

Margo

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 10:41 AM

I'm so depressed.... I've been trying to get information on the Aspect Ratio for Indian Summer for weeks. I finally just called Disney and was told that this is going to be released in Pan & Scan only. Boo... hiss... They just are not listening to us on this OAR thing... sigh...

#2 of 62 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 11:47 AM

Are they going to reissue the laserdisc for those who want it in widescreen? This was shot in 2.35!!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#3 of 62 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 12:02 PM

How unfair to the people who made this film. Not only is their film being presented incorrectly, but like with Bluebeard's Ghost and any other MAR title, they will be missing out on some residuals, because I'm not buying this sh*t.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#4 of 62 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,432 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 12:22 PM

MAN THANK-YOU DISNEY(Sarcasam)
You have saved me so much money, about $140 so far.

Earnest Goes to Jail
Can't Buy Me Love
Honey, I shrunk the Kids
Indian Summer
Earnest Goes to Camp
Muppet X-mas Carol
Muppet Treasure Island

Keep up the good work!!(sarcasam)

Note to Admin, can we maybe have an OFFICIAL DINSEY P&S thread, so we can combine all these p&s DVD's??
Just a thoughtPosted Image

all-banner.jpg

#5 of 62 Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 12:57 PM

one more off my list of DVDs to buy Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 62 Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 01:09 PM

disney execs :

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 of 62 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 02:27 PM

John;

I have a question for you about the upcoming "Ernest" titles.

I've been searching for information regarding the aspect ratios of the four DVDs ("…Goes to Camp," "…Saves Christmas," "…Goes to Jail," and "…Scared Stupid") but it's hard to come by. A post in another thread recently rumored that two of the titles would be full screen releases, while the other two would be widescreen (but only one of them 16:9). Which title gets which treatment, however, was not listed.

I notice in your list of titles NOT to purchase, you list only two of the "Ernest" films. Does this mean that the two you list have been confirmed as full screen, and the other two are widescreen? Or are you simply not interested in the other two in the first place?

#8 of 62 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 03:31 PM

There's a bunch of upcoming Disney/Buena Vista titles I want and I hoping they are not pan & scan:

Swing Kids
Betsy's Wedding
Alive

And has Can't Buy Me Love been confirmed as pan & scan? I remember hearing early reports, but were dismissed because BV's site always listed FF as the default spec before the "real" specs got mentioned.

#9 of 62 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,432 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 04:15 PM

Carl,
Here's your best source for Disney/Touchstone DVD titles,
http://video.go.com/support/home.html
but if your going to look for titles, make sure you use the 'search' locator at the top right., and NOT the main video locator.

an to answer your other question, I'm only interested in Ernest camp & Jail movies, if they are not 16x9, I'M NOT INTERESTED!!

all-banner.jpg

#10 of 62 Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 09:00 PM

Is this the Diane Lane / Alan Arkin movie?? If so I have the laser and was hoping to upgrade to DVD. Not so, if it's pan & scan!
M.J.

#11 of 62 Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 09:03 PM

Damn, "Indian Summer" just became my first "buena-vista-want-to-buy-but-it-is-pan&scan-so-I-won't-buy-it" title.

So, keep sending Disney e-mails about wanting OAR even if their current pan&scan releases don't have titles you are interested in, because this pan&scan-only release will eventually happen to a title you want.

#12 of 62 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 12:13 AM

I'll complain in person to the Buena Vista reps at the VSDA convention next week. How dare they spit on Jim Varney's grave!!
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#13 of 62 Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 03:47 AM

Now we know why it's only $9.99. I'd pay double for an anamorphic transfer though.

#14 of 62 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 04:43 AM

Just another voice saying "NO @#$*ing way!" to a pan & scam version of this movie. It's a sentimental favorite, and a shame that Disney has to crap all over the director's intended view of the story.

I will NOT be buying this title.
"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#15 of 62 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 05:37 AM

Most of the $9.99 SRP titles will be widescreen, and many anamorphic. Unfortunately, there ARE P&S casualties, including the 2 afore-mentioned Ernest movies and Indian Summer. But at least even the low-priced "family" titles will be widescreen. Let's hope the same holds true for October's releases.

#16 of 62 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 07:20 AM

How are they deciding what to release in widescreen or pan and scan? Just throwing darts at the wall???
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#17 of 62 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 08:34 AM

Well,

in addition to *not* buying these titles...you all know what to do (see signature).

Do NOT tell them that you're a HTF member or some sort of expert/elitist video nut. Just make yourself sound like a *regular* consumer and that you and your family say NO to P/S.

-dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#18 of 62 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 08:39 AM

Jeez, I just watched my old LD of this movie and thought to myself 'Can't wait to see it on DVD,' but now I'm just glad that I have the LD. Thanks for NOTHING Disney!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#19 of 62 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 12:50 PM

Nuts!

#20 of 62 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 10:39 PM

Man, this is crappy news. Indian Summer is one of those movies that all my friends have seen...separately...on cable...and loved it!

Much like A Midnight Clear, this is one I definitely would have picked up eventually...and now there's no freakin' way.

Heaven forbid any of us ever fall in love with some "little" movie... Posted Image