What's new

Coppola working on extended cut The Outsiders (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/07_08.html
And in other quite interesting re-release news, early last week Francis Ford Coppola announced that he's currently hard at work editing a new extended cut of his 1983 teen epic The Outsiders. With a planned 40 minutes of additional footage, this new cut is expected to hit DVD next spring, according to Coppola. Whether or not the film will also receive a theatrical re-release is not yet known. More to come...
great news
:emoji_thumbsup:

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that this was to capitalize on that amazing cast's popularity. This is a great movie and to assemble that cast again would put a studio out of business today...

Check it out:

Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez,

also Ralph Macchio, C Thomas Howell and Lief Garrett.....

I hope they have a reunion on the DVD!!

Now Mr Coppola how about a "RumbleFish" Special Edition?

Han

Second Unit
Lief Garrett would probably pay the other actors so he can get some exposure again!:laugh:
Hopefully Coppola will do some cutting out as well as putting in of scenes. I always thought the movie could have been better considering the director and actors.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive nver understood the critism of this film either. Ive always liked it.
This was the movie I went to see on my first date:D.

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Since somebody brought up Rumble Fish...

Anyone know how the current DVD is?

Great film. Great soundtrack. Stewart was always the most whacked-out member of The Police.

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
... and while I'm at it...

How's the DVD of "Pope of Greenwich Village"?

another gritty classic!

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
"RumbleFish" DVD was great for it's time, but it is non-anamorphic with some noticeable artifacts and print damage. It's black-and-white obviously, so it all seems to look "weird" which was intentional. There is a trailer, prroduction notes and cast and crew info on Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane etc etc...

I hope Coppola turns his attention to this after "The Outsiders", as a nice new anamorphic special edition would be very welcome!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Martin
Thnaks for the info, I had no idea it was already out on DVD, so I will wait for a rerelease
:D

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Yes, "Rumble Fish" is already out. I cannot guarantee that there will be a Special Edition. Just because Coppola re-visited "Apocolypse Now" and "The Outsiders" doesn't mean he will revisit all his films.

I recommend picking up the DVD if you like the film. It may be a long while until it's re-released.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
RUMBLE FISH DVD

1.85:1 Non-anamorphic video
Dolby 2.0 Stereo soundtrack
Production Notes
Cast and crew info on Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane etc.
Trailer.
Other trailers.

Picture and sound are fine but not 'state of the art'.

If you like the film get it. It may be a while before it's revisited. Thanks.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I like Rumble Fish a LOT!!!!! I thought it was a strong flick and the best of the S.E.Hinton flicks! Coppola called it his "...art film for kids"!

Interesting note...this was released on CED at the same time as laser and Video Review....remember THAT mag....said that for the first time CED stood toe to toe with laser!

Anyhow..I would LOVE a total remaster if not a special edition of this flick!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I, too, have always thought highly of this movie. Critics I think found it too stylized, but that's the quality I most appreciated about it. The title song "Stay Gold" and Carmine Coppola's haunting score, plus the rather dazzling camerawork created a palpable atmosphere.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed THE OUTSIDERS but it seemed to me that large chunks of the story were cut out of it -- obviously that turned out to be the case. I'm thrilled that there's going to be a new cut.

Warner's currently-available DVD boasts an incredibly weak-sounding stereo soundtrack and so-so transfer -- I actually prefer my older letterboxed laserdisc release for the superior sound. So I'm ready for a remastered DVD with new footage!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks