Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What ANCHOR BAY title should I review?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,588 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 09:05 PM

Just received a box filled with Anchor
Bay titles to review.

All these titles are a bit obscure for my
taste, but I do want to give the studio at
least 2 solid reviews of product this membership
would be interested in reading about.

Please help me pick two titles:

Mad Monster Party
Delirium
Hitch-Hike
Nosferatu
Aguirre The wrath of God
Woyzeck
Fitzcarraldo
Cobra Verde
My Best Friend

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 58 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 09:10 PM

The Nosferatu DVD is probably the new 2-disc anamorphic set, and so might be worth a review (although you might be unable to compare it to the prior release). Aguirre The wrath of God, Woyzeck, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, and My Best Friend are all older releases that AB just put out in a new Herzog/Kinski box set (along with the new Nosferatu), and so reviews probably wouldn't be of much use to the HTF readership. I don't know much about the other titles you listed, although Mad Monster Party seems interesting.

Edited to add: both Delirium and Hitch-Hike (with its attempted capitalization on David Hess's role in Last House on the Left) appear to be rather interesting Italian horror titles. HTFers who seek out such titles would likely be very pleased with reviews of them.

DJ

#3 of 58 TerryW

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 09:19 PM

Nosferatu is the only major title there. I don't know of the others.
"...when the red, red robin goes bob, bob bobbin' along..."
"...he'd kill us if he got the chance..."
"...he'd kill us if he got the chance..."
"...keep your lovin' brother happy..."

#4 of 58 Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 09:39 PM

BASS' MAD MONSTER PARTY!

Oh, and Nosferatu Posted Image
My Stunning DVD Collection

My wishlist: Anybody want to give these to me?

#5 of 58 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:04 PM

Yes, Mad Monster Party is definitely one. The other? Pick it out of a hat. Posted Image

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#6 of 58 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,432 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:10 PM

Go with these twoPosted Image

Woyzeck
Fitzcarraldo

all-banner.jpg

#7 of 58 Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:23 PM

Nosferatu (which is a great film Ron)
Aguirre: The Wrath Of God
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#8 of 58 Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:28 PM

As mentioned above, the Herzog titles (Nosferatu, Aguirre The wrath of God, Woyzeck, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, My Best Friend) have all been around for a while, and only Nosferatu features a new transfer. The commentaries on all are meant to be worthwhile, and you might find Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre interesting if you've never seen them. (Try spotting the many obvious elements Francis Coppola ripped off from Aguirre for Apocalypse Now, for example). My Best Friend is a doco which works as something of a 'making of' for the other Herzog titles, and watching it may give you some idea of which of them could be of interest.

Hitch-Hike is a nifty little Euro thriller, with a memorably catchy Morricone score, a fun performance from Franco Nero and an equally memorable ending. Delirium is something of an unseen quantity (and you'd definitely be the first person online to review it if you covered it) but I suspect everyone who is keen to buy it already knows that they want it, and folks who have never heard of it wouldn't likely be swayed towards a purchase by a review.

My two cents: Fitzcarraldo is one of the most striking and memorable of the Herzog/Kinski features, suffered a notorious and newsworthy shoot, and is a pretty spectacular, one-of-a-kind movie. It's probably the key title of the bunch that newcomers to Herzog's work might be swayed to a purchase by reading about. Just my opinion...

#9 of 58 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,897 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:40 PM

Nosferatu and My Best Friend

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 58 Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted July 06 2002 - 10:45 PM

I would Also say Nosferatu... I am a huge horror fan and just love vampire movies. I have a cheaper version of this and would love to see a review of this if it is the 2-disc set.
Posted Image

#11 of 58 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,378 posts

Posted July 06 2002 - 11:31 PM

Another chime-in for Nosferatu here. As for the other, it seems that I've heard HTFers talking about Aguirre: The Wrath Of God for a while now, so it seems to be a natural to me.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#12 of 58 Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 12:21 AM

Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre: The Wrath Of God...maybe you'll turn a few members on to these excellent, yet fairly obscure films.
"Don't you wonder sometimes...
'bout sound and vision"

#13 of 58 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 12:32 AM

Nosferatu is an absolute must

I haven't seen Aguirre : Wrath of God yet I am interested to learn more about Werner Herzog

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 58 Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 02:46 AM

Hitch-hike and Delirium
Government in action = Government inaction

#15 of 58 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 02:53 AM

That would be My Best Fiend, not friend. Posted Image

I'd say Mad Monster Party plus any of the others.

#16 of 58 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 03:18 AM

Fitzcarraldo.

Without a doubt this is the most unusual movie of the bunch and since some of the members indicated they'd never heard of it you would be doing them a favor by promoting it.

Not for everyone, but something you should at least experience. You may love it or hate it. Very few people are ambivalent about it. I'll shut up now so I don't influence your opinion. I'm interested to hear what you think, Ron. Put it at the top of this excellent pile of titles.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#17 of 58 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
Fitzcarraldo.

Without a doubt this is the most unusual movie of the bunch and since some of the members indicated they'd never heard of it you would be doing them a favor by promoting it.

With all due respect to Ron, what's the point of reviewing a DVD that's three years old and that he doesn't know? The reissue is no different than the original release, except for slimline packaging to fit inside the new Herzog/Kinski box. If members want to read a detailed review of this DVD, go here:

http://www.dvdreview...zcarraldo.shtml

Or a roundup of most of the Kinski titles here:

http://www.dvdtalk.c...148aguirre.html

As for Nosferatu, the only thing new is the transfer, so there's not much to review there--especially if the reviewer has never seen the original to make a valid comparison.

Mad Monster Party is the must review of this batch. It's a classic, if not as well-known, bit of animation from Rankin/Bass, and it has a cult following. It also is appearing on DVD for the first time.

Delirium and Hitch-Hike are the only other ones worth reviewing now and here, because they also are new.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#18 of 58 Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 03:42 AM

Definitely Nosferatu. But then again, I'm not familiar with any of the others listed.

#19 of 58 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 04:03 AM

MAD MONSTER PARTY - a friend of mine has it already and says it's great, but I'd like to see a second opinion. Also, you can see where Tim Burton came up with the idea for THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - it's all in MMP.

I second the FITZCARRALDO choice.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#20 of 58 Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 04:17 AM

Mad Monster Party Posted Image