What's new

Dersu Uzala from RUSCICO (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Why do these guys insist on splitting short films over 2 discs? Damn, that's annoying.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
There is already a release of this title by Image, although it's rather pricey. I own it, but haven't watched it so I can't tell you how it looks/sounds.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Unfortunately, the problem with the Image DVD is that it is non-anamorphic. At 2.35:1 that's a bit annoying as well. :frowning:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Image DVD also has a fair amount of print damage and isn't exactly sharp.

I'll believe it when it's out, this has been delayed since at least 3rd quarter of last year and several of the Ruscico releases have been problematic.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
well, this isn't good news.. i have the aforementioned dvd of dersu.. a heckuvalot of print damage, and of course... the dreaded non-anamorphism.

i was hoping ruscico would be doing ALOT better...

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
ruscico site lists the dvd as released now..
anyone want to pony up a review??

i can't afford to buy this sight unseen, as much as i love the movie.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There is already a release of this title by Image, although it's rather pricey. I own it, but haven't watched it so I can't tell you how it looks/sounds.
The version of Dersu Uzala I have rented was from Kino. Is that the one you are talking about? It's non-anamorphic with lots of print damage.

Update: OK I get it. It has the Kino logo on the front, and both the Kino and the Image logo on the back.

Regards,

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Do you guys order from this Ruscico site? Where is it based and are they reliable? Where else can I purchase Ruscico movies.

I found have several Ruscico movies at a local Fry's Electronic. Does anyone know any other stores that carries them?

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
The Image release of DU is identical to the Criterion LD in terms of source material quality (or lack thereof). I don't know what the source of this new disc is, but I understood (at least according to Criterion) that the version they used was actually the best they could find.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Ruscico likely looks very good, their release of Andrei Rublev looked significantly better than the Criterion (though it was the 186m theatrical version rather than the 205m version Criterion released). But they have been known to monkey with the soundtracks quite a bit, sometimes creating a mix quite different from the directors intentions, like their just released Mirror and previous releases of Stalker and Andrei Rublev. Also some of their disc's, like Stalker, suffer very bad digital artifacting.

I would definitely wait on reviews and never buy one of their discs without confirmation on the quality.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what the source of this new disc is, but I understood (at least according to Criterion) that the version they used was actually the best they could find.
I just saw a very nice brand new 35mm print of Dersu Uzala. It sure didn't come from the Criterion laserdisk. I wouldn't believe these claims, and especially where Russian films are concerned. I sincerely doubt Criterion or Image have the run of Mosfilm's vault. None of which means that Ruscico won't screw it up, but this shot on 70mm cinemascope film certainly demands at least an anamorphic transfer.
Ted

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone got their hands on the Ruscico disc? Is it Region encoded?

I am a sucker for this movie, but don't know if I can bring myself to purchasing the non-anamorphic Image disc which is pretty poor.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Terrance. I will just have to hold off on buying this with the hopes that a better transfer will be released some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks