What's new

What's with the fullscreen releases??? (1 Viewer)

And why is no one making a stink about them?? I'm talking about movies like Mr. Destiny, Spaced Invaders, and Taking Care of Business...okay, not exactly "A" movies, but that's not the point! The studios are quietly releasing these in fullscreen only..argh!!! And I don't see anyone complaining about these...

argh, argh, argh, argh, argh!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It's almost becoming too much to even monitor, with Columbia, Warner, Disney etc all releasing P&S rubbish on the market.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I was in Circuit City yesterday and got all excited upon seeing some new DVD releases [of older catalog titles]. Imagine my disgust to read that they were Full Screen P&S format! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Titles included:
- Scarlet Letter
- Death Becomes Her
- Perfect (yeah I know, it's totally stupid, but fun)
To name a few....
Needless to say, Circuit City lost this sale as I WILL NOT BUY FULL SCREEN RELEASES unless it's OAR!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: What ARE they thinking???? They finally give us WIDESCREEN TVs...then throw cheap P&S releases into the picture.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Needless to say, Circuit City lost this sale as I WILL NOT BUY FULL SCREEN RELEASES unless it's OAR!!!!
What ARE they thinking???? They finally give us WIDESCREEN TVs...then throw cheap P&S releases into the picture.
Don't blame Circuit City, they're not creating the non-OAR releases. Blame the people who have control over the situation: the studios.

DJ

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I saw 2001: A Space Travesty starring Leslie Nielsen at Wal-Mart about a month ago. IT was full screen only so I didn't buy it. Trouble is, I would have purchased it if it were OAR.(It said modified so it wasn't made for TV or Video)

And that's a NEW Transfer that they chose not to do an OAR for...

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I am letting my wallet do the talking by not buying P&S. I would have bought the Belushi movies had they been OAR and enhanced for 16:9

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I was in the local Tower recently and saw Mountains of the Moon & Villian, but only fullscreen dvd's were displayed. How disappointing.

The growing use of P&S transfers has been a subject of almost constant discussion here. I can't imagine how a regular reader of HTF could miss it.
Of course, I was talking about these titles specifically...but it's true, with so many to complain about, it's just pathetic...and it's so frustrating!

Ron

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
A similar thing happened to me last week. I was looking around town for a copy of A Beautiful Mind, trying to find the cheapest copy. I tried K-Mart, but found no copies whatsoever(I dont think they even put them out). Walmart was sold out of them, and at Shopko I was shocked to find about 30 copies on the shelf all in Fullscreen!! No widescreen copies whatsoever. I didn't bother asking the clerk for the reason behind this. I just went to the video store and rented a copy for the night and picked up the CORRECT version the next day.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's almost becoming too much to even monitor, with Columbia, Warner, Disney etc all releasing P&S rubbish on the market.
Columbia and Disney have fallen into the cheapskate pit. WB has no problem putting out dual versions or dual-sided discs. Thankfully, they haven't been as bad since 1998...while Disney puts out Snow Dogs unmatted and with DTS.

Columbia and Disney should be taking pointers from Fox, MGM, WB, and Universal by releasing dual versions.

REMEMBER: Dual releases mean EVERYONE gets the version they want on video!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't blame the studios, at least not PRIMARILY. Nope, it all begins with our dear freinds Joe and Jane Six pack. If they would just keep their traps shut about OAR's, the studios wouldn't bend over backwards to please them.

The studios ARE very guilty however, of not releasing an OAR version of their films along with that full-frame shit. No excuse for that at all.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Not buying is a good thing, but don't forget to tell them (retailers etc) WHY you didn't buy.
This needs to be done even in the most unlikely of places. I almost bought "A Beautiful Mind" on DVD from my local grocery store as an impulse buy until I saw that -- you guessed it -- every, single copy was full-frame. Needless to say, I put it back. Just this morning I sent the corporate office an e-mail telling them that they lost that purchase and why. Will it make a difference? Probably not. But you never know.

Han

Second Unit
What's more bothersome is the misnomer "Full Screen". No, they're not full screen, they're "Pan and Scan" in most cases, with only some being open matte or true full screen. Anyway, wasn't there some numbers a few weeks ago when some notable dual-release titles had the widescreen versions blowing away the full screen versions in sales numbers? Harry Potter, ABM, The Mummy Returns, etc.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Han,
spend some time around here and trust me, you won't care what it's called anymore. ;)
Shit is shit, no matter what color it is or what it smells like.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Another problem is some of these titles, the FULL SCREEN Version is not clearly marked, so if it's the only one there (at the store), unless you read real carefully, you may not realize it's FULL SCREEN. For example, The Princess Diaries. The WideScreen Version has a big banner across the top of the case. But the full screen version has nothing except some small text in the "features" box, (yeah right, as if), which says Full Screen Version.

Harry Potter is the same way.

I also hear The Grinch had similar packaging.

And I'll bet there are many others like this.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I know of a local store where some anonymous worker put all 220+ copies of "Full Frame" A Beautiful Mind back in the back, leaving several hundred copies of the widescreen version out on the floor. . .
-mwb-
(walks away, whistling nonchanlantly) :)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite thrilled!

I just want to my local Borders, and there right in front of the video section was a whole bookshelf loaded with WIDESCREEN Harry Potter DVDs! There were only about three full-screen releases, and they were on the bottom shelf!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks