Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What's with the fullscreen releases???

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   Ron Kaledas

Ron Kaledas

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 05:02 AM

And why is no one making a stink about them?? I'm talking about movies like Mr. Destiny, Spaced Invaders, and Taking Care of Business...okay, not exactly "A" movies, but that's not the point! The studios are quietly releasing these in fullscreen only..argh!!! And I don't see anyone complaining about these... argh, argh, argh, argh, argh!
My Home Theater (Click Home Theater 2 link for new construction!)

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 06:30 AM

They don't want to spend time making new transfers, so they recycle old P&S LD/television prints.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 08:53 AM

[quote] And why is no one making a stink about them?? [quote]
The growing use of P&S transfers has been a subject of almost constant discussion here. I can't imagine how a regular reader of HTF could miss it.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 08:57 AM

It's almost becoming too much to even monitor, with Columbia, Warner, Disney etc all releasing P&S rubbish on the market.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Jenna

Jenna

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 09:30 AM

I was in Circuit City yesterday and got all excited upon seeing some new DVD releases [of older catalog titles]. Imagine my disgust to read that they were Full Screen P&S format! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Titles included:
- Scarlet Letter
- Death Becomes Her
- Perfect (yeah I know, it's totally stupid, but fun)
To name a few....

Needless to say, Circuit City lost this sale as I WILL NOT BUY FULL SCREEN RELEASES unless it's OAR!!!!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image What ARE they thinking???? They finally give us WIDESCREEN TVs...then throw cheap P&S releases into the picture.

My Collection

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 09:32 AM

[quote] Needless to say, Circuit City lost this sale as I WILL NOT BUY FULL SCREEN RELEASES unless it's OAR!!!!
What ARE they thinking???? They finally give us WIDESCREEN TVs...then throw cheap P&S releases into the picture. [quote]

Don't blame Circuit City, they're not creating the non-OAR releases. Blame the people who have control over the situation: the studios.

DJ

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   William Ward

William Ward

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 09:35 AM

I saw 2001: A Space Travesty starring Leslie Nielsen at Wal-Mart about a month ago. IT was full screen only so I didn't buy it. Trouble is, I would have purchased it if it were OAR.(It said modified so it wasn't made for TV or Video) And that's a NEW Transfer that they chose not to do an OAR for...
William

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 12:01 PM

I am letting my wallet do the talking by not buying P&S. I would have bought the Belushi movies had they been OAR and enhanced for 16:9

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 12:21 PM

I was in the local Tower recently and saw Mountains of the Moon & Villian, but only fullscreen dvd's were displayed. How disappointing.
Al Kuenster

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   Ron Kaledas

Ron Kaledas

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 10:36 PM

[quote] The growing use of P&S transfers has been a subject of almost constant discussion here. I can't imagine how a regular reader of HTF could miss it. [quote]

Of course, I was talking about these titles specifically...but it's true, with so many to complain about, it's just pathetic...and it's so frustrating!

Ron
My Home Theater (Click Home Theater 2 link for new construction!)

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted July 07 2002 - 11:00 PM

A similar thing happened to me last week. I was looking around town for a copy of A Beautiful Mind, trying to find the cheapest copy. I tried K-Mart, but found no copies whatsoever(I dont think they even put them out). Walmart was sold out of them, and at Shopko I was shocked to find about 30 copies on the shelf all in Fullscreen!! No widescreen copies whatsoever. I didn't bother asking the clerk for the reason behind this. I just went to the video store and rented a copy for the night and picked up the CORRECT version the next day.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 07 2002 - 11:31 PM

[quote] It's almost becoming too much to even monitor, with Columbia, Warner, Disney etc all releasing P&S rubbish on the market. [quote]
Columbia and Disney have fallen into the cheapskate pit. WB has no problem putting out dual versions or dual-sided discs. Thankfully, they haven't been as bad since 1998...while Disney puts out Snow Dogs unmatted and with DTS.

Columbia and Disney should be taking pointers from Fox, MGM, WB, and Universal by releasing dual versions.

REMEMBER: Dual releases mean EVERYONE gets the version they want on video!

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 01:19 AM

@Randy Not buying is a good thing, but don't forget to tell them (retailers etc) WHY you didn't buy.
--
Klaus

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:16 AM

I don't blame the studios, at least not PRIMARILY. Nope, it all begins with our dear freinds Joe and Jane Six pack. If they would just keep their traps shut about OAR's, the studios wouldn't bend over backwards to please them. The studios ARE very guilty however, of not releasing an OAR version of their films along with that full-frame shit. No excuse for that at all.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:33 AM

[quote] Not buying is a good thing, but don't forget to tell them (retailers etc) WHY you didn't buy. [quote] This needs to be done even in the most unlikely of places. I almost bought "A Beautiful Mind" on DVD from my local grocery store as an impulse buy until I saw that -- you guessed it -- every, single copy was full-frame. Needless to say, I put it back. Just this morning I sent the corporate office an e-mail telling them that they lost that purchase and why. Will it make a difference? Probably not. But you never know.

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   Han

Han

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:53 AM

What's more bothersome is the misnomer "Full Screen". No, they're not full screen, they're "Pan and Scan" in most cases, with only some being open matte or true full screen. Anyway, wasn't there some numbers a few weeks ago when some notable dual-release titles had the widescreen versions blowing away the full screen versions in sales numbers? Harry Potter, ABM, The Mummy Returns, etc.

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:59 AM

Han,
spend some time around here and trust me, you won't care what it's called anymore. Posted Image

Shit is shit, no matter what color it is or what it smells like.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 05:15 AM

Another problem is some of these titles, the FULL SCREEN Version is not clearly marked, so if it's the only one there (at the store), unless you read real carefully, you may not realize it's FULL SCREEN. For example, The Princess Diaries. The WideScreen Version has a big banner across the top of the case. But the full screen version has nothing except some small text in the "features" box, (yeah right, as if), which says Full Screen Version. Harry Potter is the same way. I also hear The Grinch had similar packaging. And I'll bet there are many others like this.

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 06:05 AM

I know of a local store where some anonymous worker put all 220+ copies of "Full Frame" A Beautiful Mind back in the back, leaving several hundred copies of the widescreen version out on the floor. . .

-mwb-

(walks away, whistling nonchanlantly) Posted Image

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 06:41 AM

I'm quite thrilled! I just want to my local Borders, and there right in front of the video section was a whole bookshelf loaded with WIDESCREEN Harry Potter DVDs! There were only about three full-screen releases, and they were on the bottom shelf!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users