What's new

Upcoming DVD-A releases (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a DVD-A player (Toshiba 4700) for the first time and I'm going nuts over the sound coming out of my speakers. I'm naturally hungry for more titles, but they seem to be rather scarce and thinly spread over a wide variety of styles.
Finding new upcoming titles is a bit tricky as well (I'd appreciate any helpful hints). I've been hitting http://www.dvdplanet.com/dvd_audio.asp

Nick Zender

Auditioning
Depending on what style of music you like.
I highly endorse The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over.
I love this one. Awesome sound and picture.
The other two I like real well were Fleetwood Mac-The Dance as well as James Taylor at the Beacon Theatre.
I also bought Joe Satriani live in SanFrancisco but was a little disappointed in the sound not being what I hoped it would.
Hope this helps.
Nick

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Nick ---
Thanks for those suggestions. The titles you cited, however, are (to the best of my knowledge) DVD video titles and not pure DVD-Audio titles. I know that DTS Entertainment has released a 5.1 DTS CD of the "Hell Freezes Over" concert, but I don't believe it's a 24/96 DVD-A title.
Daniel --
Yeah, the DVD Audio Preview site is the one that's actually listed in the credits on some of the Warner Brothers' DVD-A titles. It seems to be a little slow, however, when it comes to listing upcoming releases. For instance, it currently lists only the November titles.
Still, I think it would be great if folks could contribute (like you did) URLs to Web sites that offer information on upcoming titles. That way, someone doing a search here (like I did) could easily find this thread and discover a bunch of sites to visit.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Where's the best place to get a list of currently available DVD audio?
------------------
Mongo like HTF

Mark F Hall

Agent
11/06/01
Eric Clapton Reptile (DVD Audio)
Miles Davis Tu Tu (DVD Audio)
Foreigner - 4 (DVD-Audio)
Roger Waters: In The Flesh Live (SACD)
11/20/01
Carly Simon - No Secrets (DVD-AUDIO)
The Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead (DVD-AUDIO)
Queen "A Night At The Opera" (DVD-AUDIO)
12/18/01
Doobie Brothers - Captain & Me(DVD-Audio)
Billy Cobham - Spectrum (DVD-Audio)
Al Green: Greatest Hits (DVD-Audio)
Eric Johnson: Ah Via Musicom (DVD-Audio)
Leon Russell: Retrospective (DVD-Audio)
These are the ones I have found.
Mark

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Also pick up "American Beauty" by the Dead. It just came out and sounds fantastic! I got mine from DVDPlanet.
There really is a big difference between hearing the disc thru 2 channels and then switching to the 6 channel sound. Wow!
I use a Panasonic RP91 DVD-Audio player.
------------------

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like there's been some changes in the release schedule (to no one's real surprise):
Foreigner 4 available now
Eric Clapton Reptile 11/06 -> 11/13
Bjork Vespertine 11/06 -> 11/13*
Miles Davis Tutu postponed
The Best of Warner Brothers Sound FX 11/06 -> 11/13
  • What is this? The fifth or sixth time Vespertine has been delayed? I've got both my fingers and my toes crossed that this doesn't happen to A Night at the Opera.
Mark --
Where did you find the EMI titles listed? I spent a wasted hour yesterday trying to track them down. Even studios with titles announced and/or released seem not to acknowledge the DVD-A format on their Web sites.
[Edited last by Alan_Horner on November 06, 2001 at 03:00 PM]

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Empire just added this new DVD-A release:
Eagles Hotel California December 11, 2001
I think we knew this was coming, but it's nice to see a date attached to it!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Last night I was at Best Buy and they had Eric Clapton's Reptile already. Strange as I've seen it delayed at a couple of web sites. And if I'm not mistaken its been delayed a couple of times according to some vendors.
The odd thing is I've been seeing this type of situation a few times lately. A few of the on-line vendors seem to haven't received the IMAX space collection (last I checked) but I saw it at Fry's shortly after its release. Best Buy had Monty Python Live on the shelves at least two weeks before its release. Also I've seen a few others where release dates changed, but Best Buy had them and stuff like that. It seems as if there's been a lot of strangeness with the distributors lately.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
For the first time, I am overwhelmed by the number of quality DVD-Audio titles either just released or scheduled to be released in the near future. I will have to pick up the Eric Clapton Reptile, Clapton and B.B. King, Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Queen, Eagles, and Miles Davis discs. Hopefully the Miles disc wasn't postponed indefinitely.
By the way, I saw a Warner Bros. Loony Tunes DVD-Audio disc at Best Buy yesterday. It seems to have music from famous Warner Bros. cartoons. Does anyone have this disc?
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 08, 2001 at 07:54 PM]

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Keith, a friend of mine had a CD a few years ago that was of a performance of some big orchestra on Broadway doing Looney Tunes music with Mel Blanc doing the voices at the same time. I don't know if the DVD-Audio is this or not, but that CD was entertaining.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I just took a look at the Looney Tunes disc and I'm fairly certain its not the same thing.
Oh and by the way everyone, IMHO Best Buy isn't a great place to shop for DVD-Audio. It seems like they are only taking about 10% off MSRP on these discs. DVDEmpire.com seems pretty good, they got Reptile at 25% off. Anybody know of anyplace better?

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
The more I seek out DVD-A titles, the more I find inconsistencies among retailers or the discs. So far, DVD Planet has good reductions on pre-ordered titles (approximately 30%), and they hold that price until the Sunday before the title is released. There are some problems with the company's website, however. If you want to cancel an order, you have to either call or send an e-mail (and I've had an order that I cancelled over the telephone ship two weeks after my cancellation, so even this doesn't always work). You also pay full shipping cost for each pre-ordered title, as opposed to waiting for whatever titles you want to be released and then paying an initial shipping cost plus a minimal for each additional disc. I do use DVD Empire, but I've found that their up-to-date inventory display is often wrong when it comes to DVD-A discs. I've had several orders held because a title that was indicated as being in stock actually wasn't. I've never had that problem when ordering DVD titles from them. I've also noticed that some online retailers will carry a title that others won't. For instance, DVD Planet lists titles whether they're in stock or not, but it doesn't even mention the A.I. soundtrack as having been released.
Instore shopping isn't much better; ignorance runs rampant (big surprise) in B&Ms. One Virgin Megastore employee was adamant that they didn't carry DVD-A discs (they do), while not even a store manager at a local Best Buy knew about the format. He was only able to point me in the right direction when I mentioned 5.1 audio mixes (this store has lumped all the 5.1 formats -- DTS, DVD-A, and SACD -- into an off-the-beaten-track area). Even more frightening: the Best Buy manager admitted that he didn't have control over what titles the store stocked -- "We just get what [corporate headquarters] sends us." Yikes!
Regardless, most stores seem to be out of stock on a large number of titles. I'm hoping that's a good thing in that the demand is stronger now, but I'm not so sure.
And before the moderator thinks that this has turned into a retailer thread, I'll let this get back to talking about new titles.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
btw i picked up the bjork vespertine dvd audio disc today and although i only could hear the dolby digital track i must say it was pretty darn good

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks