Any fans of Linkin Park? (1 Viewer)

TimDoss

Second Unit
I have been very disappointed with most of the new
music coming out, but this I really like... just
wondering if I'm alone here. I think that the lead
singer is very good... listen past the screaming and
he has a very good voice and unlike many other singers,
actually has a lot of range, and uses it.
And on a side note, when I'm alone in my car I sound
just like him. :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I love the sound of Linkin Park.
Once I heard Crawling, I went out and bought their Hybrid Theory cd. There isn't one song that I do not like!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Ryan Wenzel

Auditioning
Horrible, horrible band. Their singer has potential but i have no idea why he is in a rap-metal band that is gay as hell.

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Linkin Park is a great band. They also have a DVD coming out Nov 20th. There live show is also phenomenal.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
They sound like a heavier version of a boy band to me.
I've met these kids and they really are decent guys who are simply a bit of tools to the record company. I got the boy band vibe as well, but it is really how the record label has chose to present them.
But to be fair, when you sign to a major label you can either fight the whole time or simply go with the flow. I think most modern bands who allow themselves to sign with a major are aware, and have resigned themselves to whatever they get in order to make a living. Not really a trade off I'd personally like to make, but certainly not one I could fault.
Anyway- I don't know much about their tunes (have never heard their record) but given their situation I wouldn't be suprised if it sounds a lot like every other record that is currently selling copies. They're simply another group of nice guys who are letting the label take the lead in their career.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
So Ryan, how do you really feel about Linkin Park? :)
And Ryan, why did you have to come in hear and bash them? This isn't a "Who hates Linkin Park?" thread!!!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For a bunch of young guys, they put on a great show and their wide-release album is one I spin quite often. They have a few rare tracks that you can get it you pick up the european cd release (2 disc set).
And personally I find the term heavier boy-band to be kind of an easy out to dislike the band. No problem if they aren't your cup of tea, but you can add any word to boy band to have it describe another group :)
cheers!
Josh

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i really like the genre of music they're in, and i seem to enjoy their music alot, but the lead 'singer' (he's more of a screamer) really doesnt appeal to me. i like the other 'background' rapper and love "In The End," but i just really don't like this guy's style of vocals. i just think he screams too much so it doesnt have as much of an effect. i'm not a fan of "Crawling."
BUT on a more positive (?) note, i really was pissed i didnt get to see them in concert along with the all-star lineup of bands on their tour. i was bummed i missed Staind and STP (i really like them :)), but i also really wanted to see how Linkin Park performed live.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Linkin Park is now one of my favorite groups.

Hybrid Theory was a really good album, and their new album Reanimation is about a 50/50 deal for me with some remixes are good, some suck. '1 step Klosr', 'Pu5hing me away', 'with you', and 'pts of autority' are really badass remixes of the originals. 'PprKut' was too similar to the original 'Papercut', and the originals of 'Crawling' and 'In The End' were better than their remixed counterparts. BTW 'In The End' is the best Linkin Park song ever!

I hope their next album coming soon will be just as good as Hybrid theory.

PS: seems I'm kind of reviving an old thread here. YEA!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
If you like a good dose of screaming/growling with clean vocals... it's the next big thing. The Gothenburg Sweden sound actually. MTV2 is picking up on it sadly.

I'm not a 'true' metal elitist, but they're some bands that are making some big headway: In Flames, Arch Enemy, Opeth, and Soilwork to name a few. Just listen to the new In Flames record. They sold out. It's not the In Flames I know and love, or used to love. As much as I love these bands, the sound, and related bands, I don't want to see trendy and preppy kids wearing their shirts. It's stupid that it bothers me, but I can't help it.

Guess I'll just stay with the Emperors, Hate Eternals, and Cephalic Carnages of the world.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
They were good.. emphasizing on the WERE.. they just got WAAAAY overplayed and now its just boring. Also, their Reanimation CD is kinda crappy :thumbsdown:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
1. What's with the thread crapping? I don't get people who go into threads about certain types of music or bands and trash them. There are plenty of threads on here about performers or styles of music that I personally think are trash. But I don't think it would be right to go into those threads and say so.

2. I initially didn't care much for LP but they have grown on me. I actually prefer the Reanimation remix CD to Hybrid Theory. The remixes of Points of Authority and One Step Closer are great and make good system demos.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
The Hybrid Theory CD is great. If you have a chance to go to a real ROCK club (ei Pheonix, Club107 in Toronto) when In the End or Crawling is played the place goes nuts.
Their Reanimation disc is ok. To me it's nothing special. I guess it's just a way to postpone putting out a new cd. Gives them more time to come up with new stuff. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. More time till the next album, but can result in better songs.
Check out The Sickness by Disturbed the album is amazing. There was maybe 2 songs that I didn't really like. The first 7 songs are rockin' hard.
If you like the Rap/Rock style definitely check out P.O.D. The are loud as hell and rock the foundation.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Despite myself, I really dig some of the stuff on Hybred Theory. They know how to get a good groove going.

I'm also digging the new Disturbed song making the rounds on the radio.

Jason

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Their first CD is probably the only CD in the world that I have ever heard where I didn't dislike any songs on it. Their sound isn't really a rap/rock thing like Limp Bizkit, but it's not the whiney rock of KoRn. It's a sort of hard rock with talent. The lead singer can sing, it's just that his screams for some songs fits better with the song. I can't imagine any of the screams in some songs to be replaced with something else.

The new CD is OK, but it grows on you. I think the idea of making a remix CD is actually a really good idea, especially since some of the remixes are really good.

My brother doesn't like Linkin Park, simply because he thinks they're part of the Limp Bizkit-ripoff generation of music, even though he's never heard their music.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I'm also digging the new Disturbed song making the rounds on the radio.
Jason
Hey, If you like Prayer, Disturbed's new song, you should check out Intoxication and Bound, also new songs off their upcoming album.
You'll need the original Disturbed cd for this, but, if you go to www.disturbed1.com pop THE SICKNESS into your cd-rom drive, you can access a special area that allows you to listen to Prayer,Intoxication , and Bound through Win Media Player. Plus you can see the video for Prayer.
As for Linkin Park sounding like a rip off of Limp Bizkit's "rap/rock", why would Linkin Park wanna rip off crap. Limps real talent left when it's lead guitarist jumped ship.
Linkin Park does everything that Rap/Rock should be, similar to P.O.D. Limp is more THUG-RAP/Rock. Hell even Kid Rock does the Rap/Rock better than Limp.

john_focal

Agent
threads like this are always interesting to me.... I tend to be what some people would call "close minded" when it comes to music, but in all actuality, growing up trying to be a musician, being in bands that write/perform all thier own work, and DO thier own footwork tends to change your perspective, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.
Leif mentioned In Flames.... a band I have just discovered for myself with the release of thier new album "Rerout to Remain". To someone who is an older fan of thiers, it may very well be a sellout album... to me, who is new to the bands sound, it is an excellent, if HORRIBLY mixed/mastered, disc. :) I love it. Its quite possible that as I get into thier older stuff, I may see the newest work in a different light.
Just remember that not everyone experiencing a band has the same exposure to them that you may. Tons of diehard Metallica fans became ill when the "black" album was released... but to a first time listener, it was probably an amazing experience, especially if you had never heard Master of Puppets :) Which leads me to my 2nd point:
After a LONG time playing music w/ a group of people, you want change. Actually, it happens without you even knowing it. Saying that bands 'sell out' is very often an unfair assumption. You arent considering the fact of how long the band may have had the sound they do... and listening/practicing/touring in the same mode gets OLD quick. I know this from much shorter stints in bands, and playing the same songs for a year can be enough to drive you nuts. So give bands a little slack when they go in a new direction, or experiment. Its not always for the first reason that pops into your head.
And for the record, Limp Bizkit is, in fact, the worst band I've ever heard. :)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
And for the record, Limp Bizkit is, in fact, the worst band I've ever heard.
For the record, that is one of the best lines ever.

Your post was great and right on the money. I hate it when people say that bands sold out.

I live Our Lady Peace when they first came out, and then Clumsy came out and totally blew me away. But now they have turned to more softer rock or lighter rock, or whatever you wanna call it. Their sound changed and it didn't do anything for me, but I didn't think they sold out.

David Usher is a different story. To me He sort of sold out because from my point of view he left his band high and dry because he wanted a change. But I guess a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks