Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Speaker Upgrade Pattern

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 09:59 AM

I’d like opinions as to the best way to upgrade my HT speakers. A little background first:

I have lived for the last seven years in the Asia/Pacific region, the last three in Sydney. Knowing that I would return to the States, spending money on a powered subwoofer, which would work on 220–240 volts made little sense and finding a dual voltage model proved difficult. My wife’s preference, especially living in an apartment having only one main living area, limited the size of speakers which I could purchase and keep a harmonious household.

So I have 5 Jamo A 310 speakers and a small, passive subwoofer. As we have recently returned to the States, and are about to move into a house with a room which will allow me considerable more freedom in speaker size and placement, I plan to upgrade my speakers.

I don’t really wish to spend the money to replace (what is after all serviceable) all at once. So I’d like advice on which speakers I should change first.

My plan was (1) subwoofer, (2) center, (3) mains, and (4) surrounds. On the other hand, as I’d like to get a subwoofer on the order of a Hsu or SVS (and yes, I’ve followed the debates and expect that I’ll have further questions), I can easily see that replacing the subwoofer first might cause a major imbalance to my system.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lew
¡Time is not my master!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
I can easily see that replacing the subwoofer first might cause a major imbalance to my system.

I'm not sure what imbalance you are referring to. I'm not familiar with the Jamos, but assuming that they have enough extension to allow you to set your receiver's crossover to 80 Hz, there shouldn't be any problem. The key is to carefully calibrate your sub, whether it's the SVS, Hsu or Adire. If you do that right, spending the money on the subwoofer first is the wisest course of action. You may not feel the need to upgrade speakers since you will enjoy satisfactory performance, and then some, all across the audio spectrum.

Pax Vobiscum
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 02:36 AM

Roberto,

The imbalance about which I was concerned was the potential for a reasonably good subwoofer to just overpower the other speakers. Your suggestion of properly calibrating the subwoofer is most helpful.

Thanks,

Lew
¡Time is not my master!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Larry Vale

Larry Vale

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted July 05 2002 - 04:56 AM

I'd pop for the sub as well. If set up correctly you might find you'll be spending money on a new furniture before replacing the rest. Especially if your primary use is movies!

Larry