What's new

Questions re:"The Others". (SPOILERS).... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
(SPOILERS AHEAD, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

I saw the movie and enjoyed it. But, I have 2 questions that maybe someone can answer.

1-Why was the husband allowed to visit? I assume he was in a similar pergatory, but for soldiers.

2-Why was the wife & kids forced to stay there? I assumed it was because she killed the kids and herself and this was her punishment. But, why would the kids be made to suffer.

Any info would be appreciated.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Your questions are presuming that there is some greater power at work in the film that "allows" ghosts to do things and "punishes" those who die. I don't recall any indication of such a greater power at work in the film.

DJ

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I assumed the Fog is what would not let them leave as stated by the maid. I think the fog represented something of a "powers that be" type entity. I think that they were simply stuck in the house because of the unnatural deaths. I think the father was allowed to come back to aid in the recovery of certain memories that would be essential in any sort of "healing process" that the family may need to go through.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I think that 'the fog' prevented Kidman's character from going to town just because of the commonly-believed notion that appearances of spirits of the dead are generally connected with a particular geographical location. Most documented cases of spirits are of a spirit's repeated appearance in one general location.... a house, room, hotel, etc.

Not that I think the script of the Others was good enough to warrant too much thought or speculation....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks