-

Photo

Questions re:"The Others". (SPOILERS)....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 02:50 AM

(SPOILERS AHEAD, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

I saw the movie and enjoyed it. But, I have 2 questions that maybe someone can answer.

1-Why was the husband allowed to visit? I assume he was in a similar pergatory, but for soldiers.

2-Why was the wife & kids forced to stay there? I assumed it was because she killed the kids and herself and this was her punishment. But, why would the kids be made to suffer.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 02:56 AM

Your questions are presuming that there is some greater power at work in the film that "allows" ghosts to do things and "punishes" those who die. I don't recall any indication of such a greater power at work in the film.

DJ

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,421 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted July 03 2002 - 04:42 AM

I assumed the Fog is what would not let them leave as stated by the maid. I think the fog represented something of a "powers that be" type entity. I think that they were simply stuck in the house because of the unnatural deaths. I think the father was allowed to come back to aid in the recovery of certain memories that would be essential in any sort of "healing process" that the family may need to go through.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Richard WWW

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 04:10 PM

I think that 'the fog' prevented Kidman's character from going to town just because of the commonly-believed notion that appearances of spirits of the dead are generally connected with a particular geographical location. Most documented cases of spirits are of a spirit's repeated appearance in one general location.... a house, room, hotel, etc.

Not that I think the script of the Others was good enough to warrant too much thought or speculation....
"In some ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."

"This ain't no ancient culture."

"Sometimes it is."