What's new

Jimmy Neutron: Paramount could teach Disney and CTHV a thing about 'family' titles (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Kudos to Paramount for presenting Jimmy Neutron in both full frame and anamorphic widescreen in the same edition. Disney could have done the same with Snow Dogs and Max Keebler, and CTHV could have done the same with Stuart Little.

The title is short enough to warrant both versions on the same disc (unlike Grease, which is both an adult title and a longer movie).

Well done, Paramount!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Paramount and Dreamworks are the only studios which have never released a P&S-only DVD. Paramount knows their stuff and should be proud of it!
Paramount has always included an alternate LBX transfer for a P&S DVD or had the two releases separate. (The two Rugrats movies had both versions, and Charlotte's Web has two separate versions)
Dual releases or dual format discs mean that EVERYONE gets what they want, whether they care about OAR or not. People like us get the theatrical experience, while the people who don't care get the TV experience.
:emoji_thumbsup:

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I just bought this one for my son. He was glued to the set. I made sure it had widescreen on the back before I bought it but then was surprised to see a choice when you play the movie. Having a choice is significantly better than a crappy P&S only version because then my son would have to do without. And, then I'd have a grumpy almost 3 year old on my hands.
Thanks for saving my sanity Paramount. :)
Patrick

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I showed my support, I bought a copy of JN for myself and Dan Brecher.

Thank-you again Paramount.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would like to give kudos to Paramount
as well.

I know, from speaking with Martin at the
studio, that they were under a lot of pressure
to release titles in P&S.

Thus far, they have abstained.

The mere fact that they opted to put both
a widescreen and P&S version on one disc shows
the intelligence and care the studio has for
pleasing both camps.

This thread also brings up another point that
we have been hitting home to the studios since
day one....

Children don't mind the black bars on the TV.
It's adults that have the problem with it.

If the studios still can't comprehend this,
I'll put my words to the test and start a poll
on this forum and prove to you that kids don't
mind widescreen films, and thus, putting out
full-frame family titles is not solving world
problems.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
I know, from speaking with Martin at the
studio, that they were under a lot of pressure
to release titles in P&S.
The question is from whom? Also, are you talking P&S only? That is who/where we need to make sure that our voices are being heard.

Bill

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
Children don't mind the black bars on the TV.
I bought this movie last night as well and my kids have no problem what so ever watching movies in widescreen. Hell, the movie could be a 16 inch by 9 inch dot on the screen and they'd still watch the movie :) I also look at the back of the movie to make sure that it is WS or WS/P&S. :emoji_thumbsup: to Paramount for giving us a choice and :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to Paramount/Nickelodeon for a cute movie.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Jimmy Neutron was a terrific family film that even entertained my 17 year old son and his girl friend (he's seen it twice since yesterday.) Kudos to Paramount for such a wonderful DVD.

The extras are great, too. There are a load of intersessionals and other scenes not from the movie that are very, very funny.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
You know, I skipped Jimmy Neutron because of a little guy named Barry Ween (Boy Genius). If I get enough indication that the film is good, I'd be happy to drop a few bucks on the release to support Paramount for caring about Widescreen OAR.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I hope you are reading this. I truly want to thank you for releasing this movie in WS. About a third of the dvd's I buy are for my kids(ages 4 & 7). They have never, I repeat never complained about the black bars. The only time the question arose was when they asked why we did not buy Max Keeble & Snow Dogs. Two movies they wanted. I explained it to my older daughter that we only by OAR films. Her only question is why would someone cut a movie.
With regards to adults and the "black bars". I had a friend who had gotten Princess Diaries WS and was going to take it back, because he didn't like the bars. I told him the only reason in bothers you is because you saw the widescreen banner on the box. He said no it wasn't. Meanwhile, by chance, Enterprise was on tv. I asked him if he noticed that the show was widescreen. He said he never really noticed. And I also lent him some WS movies for his kids to watch. And they NEVER complained. The last thing I did in my arguement was show him the Die Hard WS/P&S comparison. He never realized what was actually cut from the film. He is now a widescreen believer.
Education is the answer. In the least please continue your policy of releasing both versions.
Thanks Paramount for continuing to release quality dvd's and for the precedent you are setting with Trek:TNG.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Blythe and Co. at Paramount:

Thank you for not bowing in to the P&S pressure. From shaky beginnings in DVD, Paramount sure has come a long way! Your studio produces consistent top-notch transfers. While maybe not as many "extras" as other studios, you routinely excel in what counts most: picture and sound quality, as well as adherence to OAR.

Thank you. As a fellow movie lover, thank you.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
The difference between kids and adults: kids don't watch the black bars on a letterboxed movie, they watch the other part of the screen, the part with the movie.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
ALL studios need to stop calling pan-and-scan "Full Screen" though- all that does is further confuse people who don't understand widescreen- call it "Filled-Screen", but NOT "Fullscreen"! (This terminology is even more ridiculous if you're using a 16x9 TV!)

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
What they should do is call the p&s "cropped version" and the OAR version "original version. Drop both widescreen and fullframe terms.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I find the very little kids couldn't care less about black bars. An example. My girlfriend's god-child came over the other day and my girlfriend put on the P&S version of Shrek for my widescreen TV, because she couldn't figure out how to put on the widescreen version. The kid couldn't care less that there were black bars on the sides.

For widescreen movies on 4:3 TVs I find that kids usually don't mind either, although some of the older kids seem to "learn" from their parents that black bars are bad. (If they ask then I show them something like The Fifth Element Lilu regeneration scene in the lab. It's a great example of how P&S cuts out much of the image for non-computer animated movies.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks