Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New addition at AV123: Rocket Speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Allan F

Allan F

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 05:13 PM

I noticed the addition of a new line of speakers at AV123. Hmmm. They look oftly familiar.......I just can't place itPosted Image. Anyone seen or heard these yet? If you guys in Colorado read this; how do the sonic qualities of this lineup vary from the Diva's?

www.rocketloudspeakers.com

Allan

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 05:37 PM

My guess is that they would sound quite different than the Divas....they use the Vifa XT tweeter. They look sweeeet.

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 10:52 PM

Sheesh, they look like long lost brothers or something. Are they made by the same company or what? If not I'm surprised Swans didn't sue them for some design copyright infringement or something like that...
My Home Theater page. Click on the "home theater" link on the top menu bar.

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 11:07 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, they look like long lost brothers or something. Are they made by the same company or what?

Um... yeah! They were designed by the same people who work at AV123, the company that sells the Divas. If there was a lawsuit, they'd be suing themselves. Posted Image

Personally, I'm perplexed by the introduction of this line. They look a lot like the Divas and they are similarly priced, but use different components. Are these speakers supposed to yield a better sound or something? How are they different than the Divas (aside from the lack of a displaced tweeter)?

It would make more sense if they introduced a line-up that was clearly above (or below) the Divas in price and quality to catch a different market, but these look more like sibling speakers more than anything.
-J.Fo

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 11:12 PM

Price wise are the similar too?
My Home Theater page. Click on the "home theater" link on the top menu bar.

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 12:04 AM

J. Fo,

I agree, this really makes no sense to me. It's obviously just a Diva clone with a different tweeter. I mean, at least change the cabinets or something! I think this will confuse customers more than anything. I don't doubt that speaker companies sometimes share designs and simply change cosmetics or maybe tweak the crossovers a bit (it happens in every other industry), but I wouldn't sell them through the same distribution network!

Brian
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 01:32 AM

The new line seems to use metal woofers. I haven't heard anything with the Vifa ring tweeter, but it is possible that AV123 wanted a brighter-sounding line to appeal to those who don't like the sound of the Divas, which as I understand it, are more laid-back. I'd certainly like to hear what someone from AV123 has to say if they're prowling around this forum...

Eric

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Are they made by the same company or what? If not I'm surprised Swans didn't sue them for some design copyright infringement or something like that...

LOL, like how B&W should sue Swan? Posted Image

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Walt N

Walt N

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 02:06 AM

Anyone notice how Wharfedale, Tannoy, and now AV123 is doing away with speakers with top mounted tweeters? It's not an accident nor a coincidence. See the "Offical Diva by Swans" thread at AVSForum's Audio & Hi-Fi forum for more on this from AV123's Mark Schifter. (page 79)

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   kevitra

kevitra

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 02:52 AM

Um, yes it looks like B&W did sue Swan. Read the last 2 pages of the "offical Diva" thread over at AV123. The Diva line is dead. This is their new line.

Quoting Mark:
"While I cannot get into tremendous detail here, this has to do with some possible legal entanglements stemming from potential infringements of “Trade Dress” (mounting the tweeter on top of the cabinet as used by another company), and the use of the actual name, DIVA. These are very serious matters and we find ourselves in a precarious position.
"

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   Dustin B

Dustin B

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 04:09 AM

My only question is why did they cross the XT25 over at 3800hz? You think they'd want to take advantage of a tweeter that has an Fs of 500hz and a frequency response of 1500hz-40,000hz. Especially with metal cone mid/woofs that generally have nasty breakup modes in the higher frequencies.
Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 04:45 AM

Dustin,

I think I've heard some stuff about the tweeter having some issues when crossing over low even with the low Fs. But Thomas and Jon are designing a speaker using this tweeter and one of the Hi-Vi 8" woofers. They seem to like it. Check it out over at HT Guide.

Brian
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
It would make more sense if they introduced a line-up that was clearly above (or below) the Divas in price and quality to catch a different market, but these look more like sibling speakers more than anything.

As one of the Beta testers for the Rocket line, I can assure you that they are superior to Diva in every way except price. I was *really* suprised to see that the regular package price for the Rockets was in the same range as the sale price of the Divas. I guess removing Swans from the equation helped keep the costs down because the drivers, crossovers, and cosmetics are better in an immediately noticeable way.

--Steve

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 06:12 AM

Wow, there are lots of good questions here...Mark will be by in a while to answer everything Posted Image

Regards,

Sean
Owner, Skiing Ninja

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 06:26 AM

I had finally decided to go with the 4.1/C3 setup, and was planning to pull the trigger in August (too many other expenses in July!).

The Rockets look great, but I think I'm priced-out of that particular market (it was difficult justifying the Swans expense to my wife - she'll never go for even more expensive ones).

Ah well, maybe there'll still be a few 4.1's and C3's left in stock in August, but it looks like it may be Axiom for me. Disappointed...
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Greg Br

Greg Br

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 08:28 AM

I just got my divas in May, sure glad this option for a product that would have to have been in production and planning for months was not even mentioned, should it be that far surperior I feel totally jobbedPosted Image Posted Image

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 09:15 AM

why is there no sensitivity rating for the rockets? wonder when that'll be on the site.

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   DavidRT

DavidRT

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 09:51 AM

Guys,
I'm sure of a couple of things here:
One is that the Divas are still as good as they ever were, and may even get to become collectors items. I know I will never sell mine.
Two is that Rocket is a natural and necessary progression.
Three is that Mark Schifter has worked himself into exaustion to bring us this incredible new line, and they ARE all new. After a year in development, the AV123 engineering team has worked for months tirelessly tweaking every last detail of Rocket in order to bring us a product that not only is outstanding in every respect, but at a price point that to me seems impossible.
You guys are gonna love these speakers.

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Ah well, maybe there'll still be a few 4.1's and C3's left in stock in August, but it looks like it may be Axiom for me. Disappointed...

The Perpetual Technologies/AV123 people are claiming that they will still have stock in August. For WAY more info than you could possibly want, check out this.

My Divas keep sounding better and better -- it must be in my head, I know...

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 12:11 PM

grrreaat. now they have speakers with 5.25 inch driver. if i knew about this last month i would have bought the rocket line instead of psb image 1b.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow