What's new

Song of the South ? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I wouldn't be surprised.

Disney recently had it restored and they're lightening up on the radical PC-ness. Hey...if they can put Der Furher's Face on the Wartime Cartoons DVD, anything is possible!

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Disney recently had it restored and they're lightening up on the radical PC-ness.
I was watching Silly Symphonies last night and was suprised by the intro Leonard Malten did for The Three Little Pigs. He mentioned that in the scene where the wolf disguises himself as a Fuller Brush salesman, they drew him as stereotyped Jew. He said that some, today, thought this showed Walt was anti-semitic, but it wasn't the case, he was only reflecting the attitudes of the day, and we must view the film that way. That's exactly the case with Song of the South, so hopefully Disney is lightening up on this attitude.
Todd

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
There has been quite a bit of speculation that Song of the South could be released to home video in 2006 ... for it's 60th Anniversary.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I was at the Press Junket for "Lilo & Stitch" and someone asked Thomas Schumacher, Head of Disney Feature Animation, point-blank during an interview:
"Well Tom, when are we going to finally get to own 'Song of the South?'" His face glazed over with frustration, then he smiled and completely IGNORED the question. At the end of the intervew, this same guy grabbed him by the sleeve and said "Tom, just give me something. Anything. Possibility even." Tom kept his smile and said "what?" "Tell me something about 'Song of the South.'" He smiles, says "Great movie. Goodbye," shrugs the guy off and walks away very quickly.
I mean, he could be keepin' it under his hat about a secret release, but judging my his reactions, it was more like he didn't want to deal with it being release at ALL.
EDIT: Forgot to mention Schumacher's title. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Buena Vista US pretty much refusing to acknowledge they made this movie? I haven't heard them offically mention it since they opened Splash Mountain in Disney world in the mid 90s.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, Disney's attitude towards this film is odd, especially where the soundtrack is concerned. They have no compunction in liscencing out the rights to it, especially "Zippa-De Doo-Dah", which is covered by a variety of bands, even by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in recent days.

People know the song, even kids who've never seen or even heard of the movie. They can't just make the movie "dissapear" even if they want to just because of that one song. It's a weird policy. On the one hand they'll take money for it, on the other hand they want to ignore the source.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Disney's attitude towards this film is odd, especially where the soundtrack is concerned. They have no compunction in liscencing out the rights to it, especially "Zippa-De Doo-Dah", which is covered by a variety of bands, even by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in recent days.
This should not be surprising considering that we're talking about a company that gives "Fantasia" a politically-correct ax-chopping and then has the audacity to claim that it's "original" and "uncut". :angry: :thumbsdown:
The words that I have for Disney and its political correctness will not be said here, as they'd get me kicked off. :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
With a company so focused on making money and more of it, it amazes me the interest in the film verses the fact that it is out there on the bootleg market. You can't go to a single horror, comic or toy convention without finding scores of copies of it.

If they simply released the movie and didn't say much about it before hand, I feel certain that it would almost go over without any trouble. In the same light, there are many other films from that generation and still today that make light of the same issues and not much is said. At the same time there, I almost feel certain that if it was a black film maker that would have made the film, there wouldn't be much issue. Yet since it comes from a very 'white' studio, that could be were the problem lies.

I personally have not seen the film all the way through, and really don't have much interest in it. But the market is there, and Disney should take part of it...you can only make MORE money afterall.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It's a beautifully-filmed Technicolor classic. The animated segments are some of the funniest Disney animation ever produced. Come on Disney!!!

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
How could Song of the South be any worse than Peter Pan? The depiction of American Indians in Peter Pan is about as non-PC as you can get. There is even a song in Peter Pan called, "What Makes The Redman Red?" Maybe John Stoessel of ABC can do a "Give Me A Break" segment on 20/20 about Song of the South.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because the African American lobby is a much much bigger one than the American Indian lobby. Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film. They did a theatrical release in 1987, I don't understand how things could have changed that much since then

Sad but true

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film.
They'd like to THINK that they could take Disney to the cleaners anyway. Why can't these people realize that if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it?

Disney is doing a great disservice to the rest of the world by not releasing this and by their continual PC-editing of other cartoons and movies. Just because a vocal few are hypersensitive does not mean that the rest of the world should be deprived of the privilege of watching this movie - if anything to let people decide the nature of the movie on their own without others forcing it on them.

**sigh**

This rant has ended. Go in peace.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Just because a vocal few are hypersensitive does not mean that the rest of the world should be deprived of the privilege of watching this movie
John:
You're obviously not keeping up with the dominant theme in contemporary American politics.
;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I worded it badly, I meant it to say that Disney was sure they would be crucified despite the NAACP's assurances that they would not fight it

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a contact within Disney that had been
keeping me up-to-date on film to DVD release
plans.
Last year I talked to my 'Deep Throat'
contact who works within Disney Home Video.
At that point, I was assured that Disney
would not release Song Of The South
to DVD.
That was a year ago. Have not talked to
this individual recently, but I plan to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks