-

Photo

Song of the South ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   AdamZ

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 01:58 PM

Anyone think we will ever see this on DVD?
Check out my dvd collection
My DVD Collection

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 01 2002 - 02:02 PM

I wouldn't be surprised.

Disney recently had it restored and they're lightening up on the radical PC-ness. Hey...if they can put Der Furher's Face on the Wartime Cartoons DVD, anything is possible!

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   AdamZ

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 02:14 PM

Restored? when and I hope they do not change the movie...
Check out my dvd collection
My DVD Collection

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
Disney recently had it restored and they're lightening up on the radical PC-ness.

I was watching Silly Symphonies last night and was suprised by the intro Leonard Malten did for The Three Little Pigs. He mentioned that in the scene where the wolf disguises himself as a Fuller Brush salesman, they drew him as stereotyped Jew. He said that some, today, thought this showed Walt was anti-semitic, but it wasn't the case, he was only reflecting the attitudes of the day, and we must view the film that way. That's exactly the case with Song of the South, so hopefully Disney is lightening up on this attitude.
Todd
My DVD Collection

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 02:32 PM

There has been quite a bit of speculation that Song of the South could be released to home video in 2006 ... for it's 60th Anniversary.
Joseph
---------------

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 02:33 PM

At the very least it'll be released overseas and you can grab a region free player Posted Image

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 03:12 PM

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I was at the Press Junket for "Lilo & Stitch" and someone asked Thomas Schumacher, Head of Disney Feature Animation, point-blank during an interview:
"Well Tom, when are we going to finally get to own 'Song of the South?'" His face glazed over with frustration, then he smiled and completely IGNORED the question. At the end of the intervew, this same guy grabbed him by the sleeve and said "Tom, just give me something. Anything. Possibility even." Tom kept his smile and said "what?" "Tell me something about 'Song of the South.'" He smiles, says "Great movie. Goodbye," shrugs the guy off and walks away very quickly.

I mean, he could be keepin' it under his hat about a secret release, but judging my his reactions, it was more like he didn't want to deal with it being release at ALL.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Schumacher's title. Posted Image

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,229 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 01 2002 - 03:39 PM

Isn't Buena Vista US pretty much refusing to acknowledge they made this movie? I haven't heard them offically mention it since they opened Splash Mountain in Disney world in the mid 90s.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 05:41 PM

Yes, Disney's attitude towards this film is odd, especially where the soundtrack is concerned. They have no compunction in liscencing out the rights to it, especially "Zippa-De Doo-Dah", which is covered by a variety of bands, even by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in recent days.

People know the song, even kids who've never seen or even heard of the movie. They can't just make the movie "dissapear" even if they want to just because of that one song. It's a weird policy. On the one hand they'll take money for it, on the other hand they want to ignore the source.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, Disney's attitude towards this film is odd, especially where the soundtrack is concerned. They have no compunction in liscencing out the rights to it, especially "Zippa-De Doo-Dah", which is covered by a variety of bands, even by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in recent days.
This should not be surprising considering that we're talking about a company that gives "Fantasia" a politically-correct ax-chopping and then has the audacity to claim that it's "original" and "uncut". Posted Image Posted Image

The words that I have for Disney and its political correctness will not be said here, as they'd get me kicked off. Posted Image

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 01:18 AM

With a company so focused on making money and more of it, it amazes me the interest in the film verses the fact that it is out there on the bootleg market. You can't go to a single horror, comic or toy convention without finding scores of copies of it.

If they simply released the movie and didn't say much about it before hand, I feel certain that it would almost go over without any trouble. In the same light, there are many other films from that generation and still today that make light of the same issues and not much is said. At the same time there, I almost feel certain that if it was a black film maker that would have made the film, there wouldn't be much issue. Yet since it comes from a very 'white' studio, that could be were the problem lies.

I personally have not seen the film all the way through, and really don't have much interest in it. But the market is there, and Disney should take part of it...you can only make MORE money afterall.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 02:04 AM

It's a beautifully-filmed Technicolor classic. The animated segments are some of the funniest Disney animation ever produced. Come on Disney!!!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:50 AM

How could Song of the South be any worse than Peter Pan? The depiction of American Indians in Peter Pan is about as non-PC as you can get. There is even a song in Peter Pan called, "What Makes The Redman Red?" Maybe John Stoessel of ABC can do a "Give Me A Break" segment on 20/20 about Song of the South.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:55 AM

Because the African American lobby is a much much bigger one than the American Indian lobby. Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film. They did a theatrical release in 1987, I don't understand how things could have changed that much since then

Sad but true

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Maybe John Stoessel of ABC can do a "Give Me A Break" segment on 20/20 about Song of the South.
Lol. 20/20 is on ABC who is owned by...DISNEY!

In other words; Ain't gonna happen.:b

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film.
They'd like to THINK that they could take Disney to the cleaners anyway. Why can't these people realize that if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it?

Disney is doing a great disservice to the rest of the world by not releasing this and by their continual PC-editing of other cartoons and movies. Just because a vocal few are hypersensitive does not mean that the rest of the world should be deprived of the privilege of watching this movie - if anything to let people decide the nature of the movie on their own without others forcing it on them.

**sigh**

This rant has ended. Go in peace.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Just because a vocal few are hypersensitive does not mean that the rest of the world should be deprived of the privilege of watching this movie

John:

You're obviously not keeping up with the dominant theme in contemporary American politics.

Posted Image

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 12:20 PM

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'd like to THINK that they could take Disney to the cleaners anyway. Why can't these people realize that if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it?
You guys are off base here. There's a website that debunks the urban myth that the reason for not releasing this has to do with the NAACP: http://www.snopes.co.../films/sots.htm
Disney's reluctance to market it in the USA is not a reaction to an alleged threat by the NAACP to boycott Disney products. The NAACP fielded objections to Song of the South when it premiered, but it has no current position on the movie.

"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 02:01 PM

I worded it badly, I meant it to say that Disney was sure they would be crucified despite the NAACP's assurances that they would not fight it

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,996 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 09:32 PM

I have a contact within Disney that had been
keeping me up-to-date on film to DVD release
plans.

Last year I talked to my 'Deep Throat'
contact who works within Disney Home Video.

At that point, I was assured that Disney
would not release Song Of The South
to DVD.

That was a year ago. Have not talked to
this individual recently, but I plan to.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow