-

Photo

Panasonic RP-91 and Non Anamorphic Movie Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Andy_S

Andy_S

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 05:52 AM

I recently watched a non anamorphic 2.35:1 on my RP-91 and when I zoomed the picture, it cut off a bit of the sides. It looked more like 2.00:1. The black bars were smaller than when I'm playing an anamorphic 2.35:1 movie.

I tried going back to auto mode and zooming with my TV's zoom feature and my TV did fine. It looked like a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. But my TV's line doubler isn't as good as the RP-91's. Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Does the RP-91 zoom a little too much?

Check out my:
Home Theater (Updated February 9th)
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#2 of 13 SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 01 2002 - 05:46 PM

I have not had, nor heard of anyone else having a aspect ratio problem with the RP91's scaling feature. It has been flawless for me since day 1 (1+ ago). You may want to check and be sure you have the DVD player setup for the right kind of TV you have (16x9 or 4x3).

#3 of 13 Andy_S

Andy_S

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 06:13 AM

It's set up correctly. Anamorphic DVD's work fine. I should note that this is on my 16:9 HDTV.
Check out my:
Home Theater (Updated February 9th)
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#4 of 13 Luis M

Luis M

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 08:07 AM

I also have the RP-91 and it does a great job with none enhanced dvds. The player does cut off a little bit from the sides but nothing too great. Remember the player can only do so much magic. By the way, I do all the scaling on the player with my widescreen tv on the streched mode. Is there a better way to do this?

#5 of 13 SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
By the way, I do all the scaling on the player with my widescreen tv on the streched mode. Is there a better way to do this?
That is why you are experiencing the video being cutoff slightly on the sides...you should have the HDTV in the full mode not any zoom/stretch mode as it will then distort the video. That is, unless you are one of those " I can't stand black bars so I will crop the OAR to avoid them" type people! When run in full using the RP91's scaler it does not cut off the video at all.

#6 of 13 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,451 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 03 2002 - 01:20 AM

Luis,

When scaling non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's, use the same mode on your TV that you use for watching anamorphic titles or HDTV. On my Toshiba, this is referred to as FULL mode. Other manufacturers may call the mode by a different name. You will also use this mode for viewing 4:3 material on the RP-91 -- the player will add black side bars to the image.

Basically, my TV always stays in FULL mode when using the RP-91. The RP-91 stays in AUTO mode for aspect ratio control and scaling, except for those non-anamorphic widescreen titles that are not flagged properly. Then, I change this setting to ZOOM for that particular title.

#7 of 13 Trace Downing

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 04:03 AM

Jumping in here with the same problem.

I just bought a Mitsu 55", and it blocks out the expand function (vertical expansion, necessary for non-anamorphs) when it's receiving 480p signals. My RP-91 didn't scale, or re-format the picture to standard (16X9). Is there something I need to engage for it to do it?

I have it set to 16X9 TV/Projection TV/Black level darker...anything I'm missing?

I only tried the Disney version of Armageddon, is that disc flagged for this, or not? In order to watch it, I have to turn off the Prog mode, and go 480i, so that I can use expand. Should I try other non-anamorph discs?

Thanks for any help.

BTW: I can finally see all the EE that people were complaining about on Ep1, it was pretty awful compared to Harry Potter, even if the latter was grainy. Jaws and ID4 looked great though.

#8 of 13 RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 05:05 AM

I don't know about Armageddon being flagged correctly, but a lot of my non-enhanced DVDs are not flagged properly. For these, you have to go into the Panasonic display and go to the U4 menu then over to size and change it to zoom. This will properly zoom the DVD to the right size while leaving the TV in the full setting. My Mitsubishi also locks in the full mode, but manually zooming the DVD gives a better picture than swtiching to interlaced and zooming with the TV.

SMK

#9 of 13 Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 08:10 AM

I have a question about the RP91 and its scaling of Non-Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs. If the RP91 scales the DVD so that there are no black bars AND doesn't cut off the sides of the DVD picture...how does it do this without altering the aspect ratio of the DVD?
"Part of intelligence is knowing someone elses version of reality is more accurate than yours"
---
My DVD Collection

#10 of 13 MikeEn

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 09:31 AM

Andy,

I was watching The Thing the other day on my 16x9 Mits connected to my RP-91, and I thought the same thing -- the AR looked more like 2.0 than 2.35. I suspect that the Zoom mode is a little over-enthusiastic on the 91.

Keep in mind, though, that ANY letterboxed movie wider than 1.78;1 will look a little too narrow in AR for a simple reason: your TV's horizontal overscan, typically 4-6% on each side, clips off the sides but the your vertical overscan just clips off some black space. You lose real image on the sides but not the top & bottom. The AR is changed.

#11 of 13 SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have a question about the RP91 and its scaling of Non-Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs. If the RP91 scales the DVD so that there are no black bars AND doesn't cut off the sides of the DVD picture...how does it do this without altering the aspect ratio of the DVD?
The RP91 scales non-Anamorphic DVD's to be exactly how they should be if they were Anamorphic. I would NEVER buy a player that butchered a DVD to "fill the screen" and Panasonic luckily doesn't want to do this either. If the DVD is 1.85:1 or lower it will be scaled and fill the whole screen (like a Anamorphic one does) but if it's say 2.35:1 it will still have small bars like a 2.35:1 Anamorphic DVD does.

Quote:
I was watching The Thing the other day on my 16x9 Mits connected to my RP-91, and I thought the same thing -- the AR looked more like 2.0 than 2.35. I suspect that the Zoom mode is a little over-enthusiastic on the 91.
It may be a bug with the RP91 and the Mits HDTV's but on Mine and all the other Pioneer HDTV's (and Panasonics and Sony's I've seen) they give you the exact same AR as if it was Anamorphic. Are you guy sure you aren't putting your HDTV in a zoom mode when using the RP91's scaling feature? It should be in the mode you use when you watch Anamorphic DVD's.

#12 of 13 Luis M

Luis M

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 03:06 PM

When I watch non-enhanced dvds with my Panasonic, It does cut a little bit from the sides but I think it is a minor trade off to the advantages you receive. Besides the cropped part of the picture is insignificant.

#13 of 13 David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted July 14 2002 - 04:44 PM

I never really thought about until I came across this thread, so I put in my non-anamorphic Last of the Mohicans(2.35:1).

I have a Mits 55908 and the RP-91. On my set the correct mode to use is Standard. I selected the picturesque scene where the soldiers are crossing the bridge and I paused the picture when a soldier on horesback was at the edge of the left-hand side of the screen.

On the RP-91 both the Normal and Zoom(or Auto)modes were identical in that the soldier's position was the same(no cropping on the right-hand side either). Interestingly, when I switched to the Shrink mode on the RP-91, everything shifted to the left and only half of the soldier was visible and a little bit of the picture opened on the right hand side that was previously not visible in the other modes.

For comparison, I also let the TV do the scaling by putting it into Expand mode. There was no cropping, just like the Normal and Zoom modes on the RP-91.

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

Forum Nav Content I Follow