What's new

How difficult is this? HTML question (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
First let me say I am no HTML whiz. I usually use an HTML editor to lay out web pages, but I have enough knowledge to go in and tweak some of the code if things are amiss. I DO NOT however, have any knowledge of Javascript. So here's the deal. I am trying to work with some former classmates to set up a web page for former alumni to submit information on their current whereabouts, careers, etc. Ideally, I'd like to have a single web page with text fields where people could enter info (graduation year, current home, etc) and click a submit button. The information could then be e-mailed to an address we would set up and we could then enter it into a database.
How complicated is something like this? Does it require use of Javascript to submit and send the entered text to the e-mail address? Is it as simple as setting up fields, linking them somehow and including a submit button? How do I set the action on the submit button to e-mail the data to us? Any suggestions? If you rather e-mail me, feel free at mailto:[email protected]
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
You should check with your host to find out what kind of server your site is on. If it is NT/win2k then will need to setup your form for CDOMail
If it is unix based then you need to find out the path to their CGI form mailer & the proper usage of that cgi script.
Most hosts have help files/examples for setting up e-mail forms on their servers.
Of course if you wanted to get real slick you could use ASP on a NT/Win2k server and have your form information go direct to an online database. Then your alumni could search for others using that same database.
Macromedia UltraDev is what I use for online database applications.
Hope this helps somewhat.
-j.c.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From my hobbyist efforts, I know that this is very easy if you can use a server-side scripting language, like PHP. Doing it all client-side, I don't know.
But you might be able to use javascript to format the info and invoke the user's email program with the info. The user would then have the extra step of pressing the "send" button.
One good place for javascript info is Link Removed

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Yes, PHP is excellent and eclipses (shudders with disgust) ASP. There are tons of form->mail scripts for PHP out there (due in large part to the fact that an absolute bare bones script requires exactly one line of code), and I can send you one I have lying around that does error checking and the like if you're interested.
I'd agree that a database is the way to go. PHP integrates quite nicely with MySQL...
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The problem is, he's going to have to have the blessings of the server administrator to do this. Most will have some sort of CGI in place that you can use, but some have nothing and refuse to budge.
Here is a quick & dirty example that calls a perl script:
Code:
Name: 
Graduation year: 
Select year

(add more form elements here as needed)
For more information on forms: http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Sof.../overview.html
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Has your classmate decided on a website yet? You might consider a webpage that can do Miva . Miva is a very easy to learn, server side scripting language that does Emailing very well. They also have a great user group that would help you get a web page set up.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

EddieN

Agent
Ummm ... I think instead of learning scripting and what not you could set the action of the form as mailto:[email protected] and that should be it. The only problem about that is the person submitting the form will get a warning, I think, saying it's submitted the form to an e-mail address, but if you warn them before hand it should be all good.
------------------
- Eddie

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It's been a loooooong time since I've done this, but I think using mailto sends you a nasty unformatted e-mail.
------------------

EddieN

Agent
Hey Graeme,
Indeed it does send a nasty unformatted e-mail, but he did say he was going to manually enter this info into a DB, and I doubt they'll be getting many submissions a day.
------------------
- Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks