What's new

Stargate Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've been thinking about trying out the stargate series. I've seen a few episodes of the TV series and it looks like a decent show. I enjoyed the film and the series looks similar. I notice the first five volumes are available seperately so I was going to try out the show cheaply. I was wondering if they'd offer the second season in this fashion, or only in a box set ?

Finally would you consider this show rewatchable?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I love the show. Awesome storylines and great writing (at least until season 4 -- haven't kept up with the show since the Daniel Jackson character was axed). You won't be disappointed. The early seasons are fantastic! :emoji_thumbsup:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Do it, you'll be very pleased. The show is best when watched in order. After picking up season 1 I spent months catching up to watch Season 5 on Showtime. I love SG-1, and I know I'll rewatch.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Are they still waiting 18 months between releases? :rolleyes

Daniel Jackson gets axed?! What?! Does he get replaced???
Man, the season sets are taking way too long to come out.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We don't know how long it'll be till season 3. Now that Sg-1 is in second run syndication (in Sept) they should come faster

Michael Shanks left the show because he's an idiot. He was getting all whiny that there was too much plot, not enough "planet of the week".

I've seen recent interviews that basically say "Gee, maybe I should have taken the deal"

Corin Nemec has brought a new similar, but fairly different character to the mix, and he's doing a great job. The writing on season 6 thusfar has been some of the best early season eps in a long time, and the new 16:9 only format has really given the cinematographers license to kill. The entire show is lit like a movie now, and it's much more visually dynamic

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
You can read all the buzz about the departure and fan reaction up at GateWorld.com. It has sort of caused a split in the Stargate fandom.... But yes, thankfully, season 2 coming on DVD soon! :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I am a Shanks fan who was dreading season 6 without him, but I've been very pleased with season 6 so far.

He didn't want to excise plot in favor of planet of the week, he felt his character was being cast aside.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Star Trek TNG is killing me keeping up with them, I think I'd like to buy Stargate individually. I see they put out 2 disks and the 3-5 of 1st season are just coming out in Sept. Are they going to put out Season 2 individually? I can swing $10 a whack here and there.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The answer to that would be "maybe". I know people have requested the seperate discs, but it would depend on if MGM saw it as profitable. It doesn't add much cost for them to split them out, since they come in the same cases anyhow, so the chances would be good.

Currently DeepDiscountDVD has Season 1 at 45.76 and the new one at 48.06. The indies are $9.36.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
The writing on season 6 thusfar has been some of the best early season eps in a long time, and the new 16:9 only format has really given the cinematographers license to kill.
All Seasons have been 16:9, they just weren't shown that way on Showtime, or in syndication until Season 6. The first season DVD's are all 16:9 anamorphic.
As far the re-watchability, I'd give a hearty YES . We even went so far as to watch season 1 almost all the way through, and not watch the last disc at all, as it started a 4 episode arc, that wasn't resolved until season 2, ep 1, so when the new box set comes out (Sept 3rd), we'll watch Season 1 all the way through again, and then start season 2.
Here's the image of season 2 from amazon.com

Eric F

Screenwriter
We don't know how long it'll be till season 3. Now that Sg-1 is in second run syndication (in Sept) they should come faster
It was already in syndication when the first set came out. That's why I bought it. I saw a few episodes on my local Fox affiliate.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That was what I'd guess you'd call the "one-and-a-half-run". MGM's sci-fi shows run first on a cable channel, then six months to a year later, have their first over-the-air broadcasts. What's starting September is "third-run" (second is the normal repeat cycle), where it runs five days a week. The third-run isn't actually syndicated, either, as it will appear on Sci-Fi channel rather than whichever OTA station buys it in a given market.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Notice I said the "new 16:9 ONLY format" meaning they no longer have to compromise for 4:3

And again, that's why I said "second-run syndication" specifically meaning that this is the second time it's been run

I'm betting a weekly syndication package will be available as well to broadcasters, just like ER, X-Files,NYPD Blue, and other hour-long dramas. Most broadcast stations will not purchase 5 day a week hour long dramas anymore for syndication

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm betting a weekly syndication package will be available as well to broadcasters, just like ER, X-Files,NYPD Blue, and other hour-long dramas.
It may be offered, but unless MGM is paying the local stations, why would they take it? Not that SG-1 is a bad show, but new episodes of action hours like it are already competing for timeslot space with those weekend packages (and often being banished to late night or noon-time hours); where does a weekend package of SG-1 reruns fit on the schedule?

Eric F

Screenwriter
Notice I said the "new 16:9 ONLY format" meaning they no longer have to compromise for 4:3
If you were lucky enough to have SHO-HD you could see the show in 1080i(albeit upscaled from 480p) 16:9 format. A loss since the move to Sci-Fi. Not sure if it was DD or just pro-logic.

Oh well, I'd rather buy it on DVD anyways, just to avoid the commercials (besides the fact I have an HDTV)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks