Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
1776 - Director's Cut____$22.46__$22.49__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy Season 1 V1__$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy Season 1 V2__$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Hill St. Bls/LA Law_$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: I Love Lucy_________$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Mary TM/Bob Newhart_$17.96__$14.90__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Addams Fmy/Munsters_$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Jimmy Neutron-Boy Genius_$22.49__$17.99__$16.99__$17.99__$18.48
Pearl Harbor - Dir's Cut_$29.99__$26.99__$29.99__$24.99__$25.98
Star Trek: TNG Season 3__$99.28__$99.99_$149.98__$89.99__$94.98
* Yes, it's finally time for the BEST season of Star Trek ever to be on-the-air: TNG Season 3. Without a doubt hailed as the best season's worth of episodes on any of the 27 seasons of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, STV, and ENT...Paramount has done us the singular honor of bringing them together in one terrific box set this week. Just in time for me to take a day off of work on Thursday and explore this set inside and out...someone bring me some BBQ off the grill; I'm busy! I can't wait to have The Best Of Both Worlds Part 1, Yesterday's Enterprise, Sins of the Father, The Most Toys, Deja Q, The Survivors, Captain's Holiday, and best of all...The Defector! Not a bad one in the bunch of 26 shows...the worst one was the "average" episode The Bonding, and even that had merit. A solid home run of a season, and a must-have for any Trek fan.
* And for something very different, the pilot and first 7 regular episodes of I Love Lucy is also finally in-stores! And at a very moderate $12.99-$14.99 most places! I will highly recommend them, as I did in my own reviews (1,2) and as HTF's Ron Epstein did in his.
* Something else interesting to TV fans hits this week...in Canada only! Smallville - the Superman-as-a-teen series that airs on The WB Network - has an R1 DVD coming out, but only north of the border. Due to syndication rights issues, it is not being sold in the USA at this time. But if anyone wants to try to import it, a link to an excellent Canadian e-tailer that I've dealt with before can be found at the TVShowsOnDVD site here, along with details about the release. I have my copy on preorder, and TVShowsOnDVD site owner Gord Lacey (an Edmontonian, or is that Edmontonite?) has his review copy in-hand already. He just got back from a long trip, but he'll post the review as soon as he can.
* A final note to TV-on-DVD fans is the new series "Inside Television's Greatest" (abbreviated as "ITG" in the Roundup above). A look inside the various shows featured on each disc (some of the look at single series, others pair up similar series), they are to feature behind-the-scenes information about how the sitcoms got produced and made throughout their successful runs. Each is available on both DVD and VHS (each format version costs about the same price), but the one featuring I Love Lucy seems to not be listed everywhere in the DVD format. I don't know why not; perhaps a rights issue crept up at the last moment and it was pulled. I'm not sure if it will be on shelves with the others or not; I hope it is. At about $15 each, I'm a bit interested in these, and many of you will be, too. Borders lists all of them at $13.99 each, so I'll look for them there first.
* Off the commentary and back into saving us all some bread:
* BB will also take $7 off the low price of Shallow Hal if purchased on the same transaction as one of these other titles: There's Something About Mary, My Myself and Irene, Say It Isn't So.
* Anyone who picks up Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius at BB will get on-the-box a demo disc featuring episodes of Nickolodean shows like Spongebob Squarepants, Dora The Explorer, Rugrats, Blue's Clues, & Rocket Power.
* Folks buying ST:TNG Season 3 at BB (or sister stores Suncoast, Mediaplay, OnCue, or Sam Goody) will get another bonus disc, but this one is for me. It's an "MP3 Audio CD" of two TNG novels read as a books-on-tape kind of a thing. The novels are "Crossover" and "Ship Of The Line"...and if you don't already know what those books are, then you probably don't care about this disc, either. I'll stick with the Costco price, myself!
* A final Best Buy note: They are again doing an "All DVD Players On Sale" thing, with prices starting at $59.92 for the Mintek 1600 (a featureless but reliable-so-far player). So if any of you are in the hunt for hardware, check it out.
* Target is showing "Low Price" for both Jimmy Neutron and for Shallow Hal. For the latter title, though, you can save $5 instantly buy purchasing SH on the same transaction as either Me Myself and Irene or There's Something About Mary.
* K-Mart has Pearl Harbor Director's Cut for $29.95, they have Shallow Hal for $19.95, and they have Jimmy Neutron for $19.95 plus you get a free Jimmy Neutron book with that purchase.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
• Blacktop $24.98 $19.98
• Boycott $24.98 $19.98
• Children Of The Corn: Revelation / Children Of The Corn: 666 (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Cop Land / The Yards (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Dancing in September $19.98 $14.98
• Eye Of The Beholder (Special Edition) $19.95 $14.95
• Halloween: H20 / Mother's Boys (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Harmonists, The $29.99 $19.99
• Hellraiser: Inferno / Hellraiser: Bloodline (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Kolya $24.99 $19.99
• Mimic / Mimic 2 (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Powerpuff Girls: Down N' Dirty $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Mane Event, The $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Meet the Beat Alls (Reissue) $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Powerpuff Bluff $19.98 $14.98
• Reindeer Games (Director's Cut) / Phantoms (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Scary Movie 2 / Senseless (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Temptress Moon $29.99 $19.99
• Wes Craven's Dracula 2000 / Russell Mulcahy's Tale Of The Mummy (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
For a complete list of the two-packs listed in the above list of markdowns, check out this thread. Wal-Mart's been selling those two-packs and some others for $14.88 for a couple of weeks now. Personally, none of the combos appeal to me, except maybe the Mimic set, but you might find something you like in there!
Happy Canada Day to our friends north of the border, and happy Independance Day to our friends south of the border. Whatever kind of brew you imbibe on either day, be careful and safe. See you next week!