What's new

Apocalypse now (1 Viewer)

rafayel

Auditioning
I want to buy apocalypse now on dvd there are 2 versions apocalypse now and redux. Which is better and can you tell me which has a better audio and video transfer

thanx

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They both have excellent audio and video transfers. Redux is a substantially longer version of the film; some find the longer version superior to the original, while others think the extra material weakens the film.
The DVD of the theatrical cut has some interesting extras that had to be dropped to make room for the extra length of Redux.
A true fan of the film would probably want both versions. That's what I ended up with. :)
M.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I hated the extra material, but with DVD's its easy to skip, the better transfer may be the way to go.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
In many instances, there's no way to simply "skip" the offending scene - it's been recut with tiny bits and pieces added here and there.

I'm speaking as one who's long loved this movie, but who despises nearly every new Redux addition, particularly the new "Bunny Scene", the "French Plantation Scene", and all that crap about stealing kilgore's board and Willard's very out-of-character goofing around with the fellas scenes - don't mind the daytime views of/Time magazine reading by Kurtz as much as many, but I definitely understand why people dislike them.

My advice: if you can find the original version on DVD, buy it. Though there's good reason to believe that we might see it again someday, Coppola and Co. have described it as "permanently retired".

(And there's the deleted scene of the destruction of the Kurtz Compound with commentary by Coppola on the original version DVD - not on the Redux DVD).

As for the transfers, they're not the same, but they look practically identical to my eyes. Both are excellent, to be sure.

Eric T

Second Unit
I agree that the transfer looks better on Redux, but I like the original edit better. I am a big fan of this movie, so I own both. If you don't plan to buy both, I would say get the original.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
A true fan of the film would probably want both versions. That's what I ended up with.
In a thread full of utterly valid comments, I simply picked the one that was easiest to copy and paste. Anyone commonly or uncommonly drawn to this film would want to be able to screen either version. Redux could not be ignored--nor, once screened, cannot it be forgotten. Amazing, this particular example of editorial decision-making. It's successful.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much agree with everyone here. The original is the better version of the film, but Redux has a slightly better transfer. The only bonus feature on the Redux version is the trailer, while the original has footage of Kurtz's compound exploding along with a Coppola commentary (just for that scene).

I heard that one of the R2 DVDs of Redux has behind the scenes footage and a full-length commentary track. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

I would get both, but If you only want one get the original. This film definitely deserves special edition treatment.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The transfer looks better on Redux but that of the original is still very nice indeed.
I'm with Rich on this one. I don't like the new bits at all. Apocalypse Now Resux anyone? :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If one likes the Redux cut, one will want to own it. If one prefers the original, then the Redux cut is, if nothing else, a presentation of several extended deleted scenes in context and a very interesting supplement to the original.

That being said, I would watch the original first, personally. If you like the original version, you will want to see Redux. If you don't like Redux, however, you could still possibly like the original without some of the gratuitous bits.

At some point (prepare for unfounded speculation to follow), I would not be surprised if we see a box set with both films and the "Hearts of Darkness" documentary. If Coppola does a commentary, I would actually rather hear it over the documentary with his wife and George Hickenlooper participating than over either cut of the film.

Regards,

Will K

Screenwriter
To mirror comments on the transfer, Redux does look better. I love the original version of AN. The first time I saw it I was just...stunned, but Redux is gargantually sluggish, IMO. The flow was all but killed by the additions. How's aboot a theatrical reissue Apocalyse Now Redux Reversed?

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that one of the R2 DVDs of Redux has behind the scenes footage and a full-length commentary track. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.
The France 2-disc SE has a commentary listed, but it only seems to be six minutes long (perhaps this refers to the commentary to the deleted scene). They do get some press conferences and interview material though.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The France 2-disc SE has a commentary listed, but it only seems to be six minutes long (perhaps this refers to the commentary to the deleted scene). They do get some press conferences and interview material though.
The commentary is only for the 'Destruction Of Kurtz Compound' scene, which was already on the original Apocalypse Now DVD (at least on the R2 version).

It doesn't have any other deleted scenes.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Buy the original cut before it gets too hard to find. Rent the Redux cut.

I'm with most people on this one: Redux was a nice "alternative" take on the original, but Coppola was right in cutting most (if not all) of those added scenes way back when. Also, IMHO, he was a much better director then too.

Dan

TheoGB

Screenwriter
*sigh* - if only we could get a 2.35:1 version. I'm not buying it 'til then... :frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I would also like to have the Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse documentary to complete the Apocalypse and Redux experience. If you haven't seen it and you are a fan, track it down immediately!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks