Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

I bought a Barry Manilow CD. Am I going to be stoned in the town square? :o)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 02:23 PM

I did something last Friday that at one time, I thought I would never do. I bought a Barry Manilow CD. While shopping at Costco, I found the new Ultimate Manilow CD for $12.50 and decided, what the heck! "Ready To Take A Chance Again" brings back memories of seeing the old Goldie Hawn-Chevy Chase movie Foul Play on cable many times when I was a kid. Anyway, this CD is relaxing and is good for a laugh too. As for the sound quality, who cares?! It's just a fun CD. O.K. Start stoning me!

NP: Barry Manilow Ultimate Manilow Posted Image

Disclaimer: I hope everyone realizes that the title for this thread was offered in jest. It was not my intention to deride Barry Manilow fans.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 02:32 PM

Uh, Keith? Go to your room and think about what you've done!:wink: Carl "Moops!"
Carl

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 02:35 PM

Carl, yes sir. Posted Image

P.S. "Moors!" Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 02:51 PM

Don't worry Keith, you're... Just one guy typing in the darkness all it takes is one guy typing so they read what's on your mind and when you surf around you'll find that there's more than one guy typing in the darkness..... NP: Take a wild guess.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,567 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 25 2002 - 03:22 PM

Hey, I think you should get a medal for having the courage to admitting to buying it. That's more than I could do.

But buy an NSync CD and I will show you no sympathy whatsoever. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 03:36 PM

Barry friggin' rules! "Time in New England" is still one of his best songs.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 04:14 PM

Keith, you musical heathen! Folks, break out the big rocks. Posted Image

NP: Robert Fripp, the anti-Manilow

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Producer

• 3,012 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted June 25 2002 - 04:45 PM

Keith, you are hereby sentenced to wear a leisure suit and hang out at the Copa

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 06:09 PM

I get all my Barry Manilow CD's, including "Ultimate Manilow", thru BMG Music Service to avoid the stoning. BTW, "Ultimate Manilow" was recently certified Platinum by RIAA. Which means a lot of stones will be needed for the stonings across this country....
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Zack Scott

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 10:25 PM

You know...I did the same thing about a few years ago with Barry's summer of '78 cd. I was so distressed a few weeks after I bought it that I wrote a song about it. Want to read it? Gere it goes. "I bought a Barry Manilow CD" Words and music by Zack Scott C 1997 8-track Productions music The world is going to end It's going to crash in the sun Every one is going to die and When It's all done They'll look in my C.D. Collection and in their pant's they'll pee Cause I just bought a Barry Manilow CD Don't know what was going in my head No no If people found out I'd be better off dead I like one song but I didn't think I'd buy it Now that I did I think I'll start a riot But In the end Barry will have the last laugh Cause probably my son would become a BArry Manilow fan I bought a Barry Manilow C.D. Oh woe is me I bought a Barry Manilow C.D. oh please kill me I bought a barry Manilow C.D. I'll do it I bought a Barry Manilow C.D. Oh god, Thank you thank you....please tip your waitress

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 11:12 PM

I appreciate the humorous responses from everyone. It really is a fun CD, and I'm glad I picked it up.

Danny said:

[quote] "Ultimate Manilow" was recently certified Platinum by RIAA. [quote]

Well that didn't take long. That just shows you how popular Manilow is. I think there are a lot of closet Manilow fans out there. Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 11:30 PM

Great for those romantic evenings with your new fiance, too, right?Posted Image

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 02:00 AM

Yes, there are a lot of Manilow fans- unfortunately, they're all middle aged women who also think Kenny G is a brilliant jazz musician. Posted Image

Once I caught Barry Manilow on The View (no, I don't remember how or why I stumbled upon The View, and it was the only time I saw it). Man, talk about an estrogen fest! I only watched two minutes, but I felt dirty afterwards.

Nothing makes you feel like killing yourself more than getting Copacabana stuck in you head for 3 days straight...

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Frank_S

Frank_S

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 06:13 AM

[quote] Nothing makes you feel like killing yourself more than getting Copacabana stuck in you head for 3 days straight... [quote]
Now why did you have to go and say that? Posted Image

I saw him on Larry King Live last week and he was playing short takes of a lot of his hits. Man, seeing him AND Larry King together, that's a sight to behold. I watched the entire hour even though I'm not a Barry Manilow fan, does that mean I'm a closet Barry Manilow fan? Posted Image

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 07:13 AM

[quote] "Time in New England" is still one of his best songs [quote]
I'll have to correct you there -- "Weekend In New England" Posted Image

Seriously, I have to admit I need a Barry fix once in a while. My favorite song of his is "Could it be Magic," which is actually a pretty nice expansion of a Chopin theme.

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 09:47 AM

Ordered.

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike boettner

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 10:13 AM

no stones Keith,
but.....
we found a witch, may we burn him?
Posted Image
Mike
"Dreams Do Come True"

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 11:43 AM

Mike Broadman,

That is one of the funniest posts I have read here in a long time. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Well done.

Tomoko asked:

[quote] Great for those romantic evenings with your new fiance, too, right? [quote]

Absolutely! Posted Image

The best thing about this thread is that I think it will lead to a lot of confessions. Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 02:54 PM

[quote] The best thing about this thread is that I think it will lead to a lot of confessions. [quote]

No- everything I listen to is immaculate. I have perfect taste in music. (yes, they'll believe that one, he says)

Besides, admitting to watching The View is worse than anything anybody can dish out!

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 26 2002 - 06:10 PM

Well at least you didnt say you went out and bought The Baycity Rollers or Eric Carmen. Now that would be going to far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users