What's new

I think I have stepped in Wal-Mart for the last time. (1 Viewer)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Unfortunately things like that happen because management hires inept management...Retail sucks....

Eric.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I can see why the doors where locked. When I worked at Office Max they always locked the doors while the front end counted out the drawers and floor staff strained the store. There was allot of money being transferred around and most of the time everyone was in the offices or on the floor and there was nobody by the door. Then after the store was straightened the employees would leave with the manager. Usually the cashiers would finish counting there drawers first and help the floor employees get the store straight. Everyone would then sweep the store looking behind everything to make sure that there was't a someone hiding out waiting for the store to close. Then everyone punched out and left. If it was a slow day and we where able to get the store straight before closing we would just punch out and BS in the front of the store waiting for the cashiers and front office people. We never did any work though. Im not sure if it was a Office Max policy or just the local manager but nobody went out alone we always left in groups. Everyone always got paid if the store was a complete mess and it took a long time to clean it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
No problem with me, the nearest WalMart is like an hour's drive north of me on a light-infested state highway. There is a Target near me though but I hardly go there except for the occasional cheap A/V cable.

Jay

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I worked in retail for the better part of 6 years. At Kolh's for a long time as an assoc and at babbages as a manager. I echo what Allan said about how Kohls worked. At Babbage's, the last thing we did before walking out the door was punch out.

I never liked shopping at Wal-Mart much anyway.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I don't shop at Wal Mart because they had the policy of moving into a small town, dropping their prices to kill the mom and pop stores that had been there for decades, then raising prices when the competition was gone. If you want to know how bad it really is for Wal Mart employees, check out the book "Nickled and Dimed" where a reporter tried to see if she could survive for a year on working various jobs at working class wages. The Wal Mart chapter is horrifying.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Wal-Mart officials acknowledged that employees were sometimes locked in but said the policy was to pay workers for every hour they were.
If the policy was actually enforced, there wouldn't be any litigation over the matter. And since they are obviously not following the policy in some areas of the company and locking workers in with no pay, they are essentially modern-day Slavers. Harsh but true.

I think we've already been through all of this.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
If their employees were more efficient, there wouldn't be a problem. Many times I see employees standing around doing nothing. Why don't they train their people to keep busy during down times? Get the employees to make more efficient use of their time reduces the overtime needed. Bad management, I say. IMO of course.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Im not sure if it was a Office Max policy or just the local manager but nobody went out alone we always left in groups
That is a major security thing. Especially at night, large empty parking lot, very dark. It is safer for everyone to leave together at night than it is to wander out alone. If someone got mugged or killed it would have been Office Max's responsibility for not providing a safe work environment.

Michael Vasquez

Auditioning
Well,

While Walmart gets a most of the blame, I think the employees need to take some of the blame for allowing this to happen. Sounds like they let themselves get taken advantage of, they should have read the employee manual.

I worked many an hourly wage job in high school and college and there is no way in hell I would have allowed anyone to tell me I had to do after hours work for no pay. If I'm clocked out and you want me to continue working, I'm clocking back in or I'm walking.

Dishonest managers will only get away with what their employer and their employees allow them to get away with.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I agree with Michael Vasquez... if the employees are going to allow this to happen, then in a way, they get what they deserve.

I know someone is going to come along and say "but some people can't afford to lost their job!"
Name for me one person in this country who cant afford to lose their job as a clerk, etc... at Wal Mart, who wont be able to find another job that pays just as much?

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well I've actually worked a Wal-Mart. I was a Customer Service Manager (the dude in charge of the cashiers) for 2 years during my stint in community college. being forced to work for free never happened to me or any of my cashiers but other shitty things did. We'd get scheduled during the times we were unavailable and the management would blame the computer scheduler. This was bull shit because I knew how to use it and it doesn't do this unless a human tells it to! The main problem at our store was a huge lack of people working. We had a new store manager come in and in an effort to get things going the right way (more profits) he simply cut hours. Wait... I'm going into rant mode so I'll stop.

I enjoyed some parts of my job but for the most part I just learned to hate retail.

-Marshall

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Michael- "The Man" can't stick it to you, unless you let him. My wife used to work at Sam's as a COS (same as Marshall above), and the productivity of many employees was, um, "lacking," to say the least. Then, they'd try the old "well, I can always stay over" routine- uh, no.
Besides, how many salaried people here, in professional level jobs, work MUCH longer hours than they anticipated when they hired on? I'd venture to say there are many. Is this any different?

Having said that, I don't like Wal Mart anyway. I'm a Tar-jhay person, myself. Much better organized, and less like a flea market.

Todd

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Besides, how many salaried people here, in professional level jobs, work MUCH longer hours than they anticipated when they hired on? I'd venture to say there are many. Is this any different?
Yes. Salaried professional people probably make a lot more than the minimum wage and have decent benefits. They are probably eligible for some sort of performance bonus over a year's time. They are probably not locked inside their place of employment while a supervisor makes sure everything is "OK" for them to leave.

But most importantly of all, what an employer can legally get away with doing to a salaried employee is a lot different than what said employer can do to an hourly employee.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I don't shop at Wal Mart because they had the policy of moving into a small town, dropping their prices to kill the mom and pop stores that had been there for decades, then raising prices when the competition was gone.
I don't see anything wrong with this at all. Business is business. You can't feel sorry for people because they can't keep their prices as low as wal-mart. Wal-mart is the biggest company in the world. They didn't get to where they are by worrying about mom & pop stores.

If you had a business you could only be so lucky as to have it grow like Wal-Mart.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Dishonest managers will only get away with what their employer and their employees allow them to get away with.
I have to agree with this one as well. This is just an example of something that happens in many different areas of life. I'm sure we all know at least one person who always feels they're getting shafted, no matter what the circumstances.

The last minimum wage job I had, the majority of the employees were dreadful. They disobeyed the manager, didn't work, and in the month I was there, at least two people didn't show up again after being hired and one quit in the middle of their shift. I turned down the request to work extra hours, but they still kept me on. Why? Because I did my job!

Also, where I work now (and this isn't even minimum-wage or retail), they don't like overtime, and actively discourage it. But I demanded that if I work it, I get paid. Some others have told me they are not getting their overtime, but I always have.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> then raising prices when the competition was gone

Where have they actually done that? If they raise their prices, that would provide an incentive to new competitors to open shop nearby.

I'm still looking for the town that's large enough to support a WalMart, yet has no other stores. I don't think it exists.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Lets sue because we dont like our job????? Get over it and move on. Take responsiblility for your own life. If I didnt get paid for work I've done at my job, the first thing I would do is have a talk with the management. If it happens again, I would be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks