What's new

The Amazon Gold Box (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I find this quite amazing. Last Friday, I log on to www.amazon.com only to find this mysterious golden treasure chest in the upper right hand corner. Has anyone else seen this yet? Here's the drill... you click the treasure box and you get to see one item with a big "gold box" discount. You then have 60 min to buy or pass. If you pass, you get to see item #2. There are a total of 5 items per 24 hr period. If you pass on all 5, you have to wait for 24 hrs to get a new group of 5 different items.
We'll my 1st item up was the Special Collectors Edition of Memento, which was on sale for $21. The gold box discount was $15 ... so the cost to me was like $6.30
I'm hooked, I'll be checking the gold box daily now. What a great gimmick to build site traffic. Although today, the items were lame (hammock, cookware, etc.)
Anyone else gotten this yet? what were your items?
Scott

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that it's okay to post what your Gold Box contains here, right?

Ok, here's what I got offered:

. Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD Player
. Samsung Mini Yepp 64 MB MP3 Player YP-20S
. Audiovox D1700 Portable DVD Player (sold out, but counted towards the limit of five)
. Archos Jukebox 20 GB Digital Audio Player/Recorder/Hard Drive 500277
. VisionTek GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR Memory Graphics Card

Interesting concept, though. It should increase thier traffic if/when it catches on.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've posted this elsewhere on HTF, but about all I've ever seen in my Gold Box is a bunch of kitchen appliances. Only one DVD has shown up (Ocean's 11 - twice) and the discount was modest. Apparently I'm not on their "give him a really good deal" list.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I really like Amazon but personally I find the idea of a personalized little "Gold Box" lurking in the corner a little creepy :) I gather it uses your shopping basket info and purchasing history with your "clicks" to come up with some offers - so just keep clicking away at the things you like and it should end up in your box though mine seems full of things like tools and grass shears i have no interest in.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've only seen the Gold Box twice, and each time it was stuff like nose trimmers and back hair grooming kits. It's been about 3 days since I had one last.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
For me, it's been almost all tools (wonder what gave them that idea ??? NEVER brought any tools from them).

MikeM

Screenwriter
Just to note, I've only seen the Gold Box when I logged onto Amazon via the Windows version of Internet Explorer.

I could be wrong, but perhaps this gold box feature isn't setup for Mac browers yet? Because I've never seen it on the Mac side.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i can't see my gold box anymore.

before all i got was mp3 players and printers.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Here's mine:

Samsung Mini Yepp 64 MB MP3 Player YP-20S
Panasonic DMR-E10 Progressive Scan DVD-RAM Recorder and Player
Logitech 9611850403 ClickSmart 510 Digital Camera
Kodak DX3215 EasyShare 1.3MP Digital Camera w/ 2x Optical Zoom Bundle with Dock
Philips CDR775BK Dual-Deck Audio CD Recorder
FUN!

Marc

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this for the first time. A saw, clippers, a level, a drill and something else...boring...now I gotta wait 24 hours for something new.

SusanO

Agent
I have one but I can't get into it until I buy something from Amazon proper - apparently marketplace and auction sellers don't count.

Pooh on Amazon. I'm not buying something from them just to play virtual Let's Make A Deal.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, after a long, long abscence from Amazon, maybe not since the late '90's ;), I logged back into my account see what this Gold Box is all about.
Now why did I have to do this...logging in on Amazon will be yet another daily ritual - on my 3rd offer, I was presented with the option of Vanilla Sky for $5.70. With S&H, the total bill rang up to $8.68.
One slight problem...this Gold Box has a behind-door-#1 aspect to it. For example, my Vanilla Sky offer was the 3rd offer. Once I placed this item in my cart, I was not allowed to proceed and view the remaining 2 items. If I wanted to see the remaining 2 items, I would have had to pass on Vanilla Sky, without the option to return.
So, I guess I'll have to realllly consider whether I want something badly enough, or do a Creskin and guess something better is coming down the pike.
I've also noticed that my Gold Box is comprised of a group of items that I've not purchased before - Amazon must be tracking my viewing history/habits and tailoring the Gold Box to that. Looks like I'll be hitting the LOTR page a lot.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I've been checking my Gold Boxes (my family has two accounts) for a week and a half now, and the gold box offers seem to have nothing to do with my past shopping preferences. All we've ever purchased from Amazon is DVDs and CDs, yet we've been offered just about nothing but housewares and garden supplies. And as far as my own personal account goes, I have never even browsed those areas of the site.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That's exactly my experience Pete. The stuff they show in my Gold Box has nothing to do with anything I've ever bought or browsed at Amazon. It really seems to be quite random what pidgeon-hole they stick you in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks