What's new

Ben Folds---the new album (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
I was very impressed with this solo venture from Ben. Since Ben Folds Five recently called it quits I was wondering how well the music would hold up. I dare say I like his solo work more than his group work.
Gonna go check him out on act 5th. anyone else here like the c.d?
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I'm going to pick up his CD this week. His new video has to be the funniest video I have ever seen and the lyrics for the song are just plain "great".
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on September 17, 2001 at 09:18 AM]

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I loved this album. When I heard the single, "Rockin' The Suburbs," I knew I was in for a treat. If you're not sure about the full-length yet, don't let the goofiness of the single lead you to believe that the album is just fluff.
Rockin' The Suburbs (the album) obviously has a sound similar to that of Ben Folds Five, owing to Ben being the sole author of the majority of the band's tunes. But like the final BFF album, this new disc shows more sides of Ben Folds than we have heard before.
Almost every song on this disc has a distinct feel, even though many of the songs come from a similar emotional place. My personal favorites are the rousing opener "Annie Waits" and the Pet Sounds-esque "Losing Lisa." "Fred Jones Part 2" has the lyric of a 60s social conscience tune (reminds me of "Mr. Webster" on The Monkees' Headquarters) and could be mistaken in part for a Simon and Garfunkel song.
I also liked "Zak and Sara," "Gone," "Not The Same" and the tour-de-force title tune.
It's a shame that Ben's tour is not coming to Florida, as I would love to see him perform live again. The two Ben Folds Five shows I was privileged to catch down here are highlights of my concert-going history...
= Derek =

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Ben Folds is a refreshing treat amongst all the dull and boring music right now. The album is fantastic, there is not one throw away track on the whole thing. His lyrics are right up there with Lennon/McCartney and Dylan as far as I am concerned.
"She saw the lights, she saw the pale English face
Some strange machines repeating beats and thumping bass
Visions of pills that put you in a loving trance
That make it possible for all white boys to dance
And when Zak finished Sara’s song, Sara clapped"
-Zak and Sara
------------------
"Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!"

350+ Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
After hearing the title track I was a bit unsure of what to expect from this solo album. Now that I've listened to it I have to say that I'm amazed. It is very good. I really like all the BFF albums, especially Messner. I should've known that we hadn't seen all sides of Mr. Folds. He really is a great lyricist.
This disk's going to be in the cd player for a while.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
This album just keeps getting better and better.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Think I'll be picking up that DVD. Cool :)
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Very good disc-it ranks with the first two BFF albums, but much better than the disappointing Reinhold Messner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks