Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official "MINORITY REPORT" Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
515 replies to this topic

#1 of 516 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,939 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2002 - 08:31 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Minority Report". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Minority Report" should be posted to this thread.

Since, I closed the previous discussion thread about this fine film, I thought I'll post this link so that any member can quickly review it while participating in this thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 516 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 08:52 AM

The rave reviews I'm reading about this film,(except for Ron's), are making me salivate. I was already planning on seeing the film but now I'm really anxious to see it. I don't ususlly go to films on opening weekends but in this case I might make an exception.

#3 of 516 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 09:14 AM

Same here Jay. I'm going to hit the theater straight from work tomorrow. I can't wait!
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#4 of 516 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 09:19 AM

My review will be up later tonight, but Minority Report may be my favorite movie so far this year. (I need to see it again to be sure.)

From my good buddy James Berardinelli's review:

Minority Report rivals some of Spielberg's top adventure/science fiction epics, such as Close Encounters and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now that's some high praise indeed!

#5 of 516 Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 09:22 AM

I checked the times for Minority Report, and found it odd that each theater I looked at only had about 4 showings in a day of the film. Anyone know why that might be? It will be very crowded.

#6 of 516 Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
I checked the times for Minority Report, and found it odd that each theater I looked at only had about 4 showings in a day of the film. Anyone know why that might be?

It might be only showing on one screen at said theaters, but I highly doubt that. If you're looking at Fandango's site or any site that takes their info from Fandango, you might want to check again tomorrow as they usually don't post all the times till opening day of the movie.

After all the rave reviews, I'm going to see the film either tomorrow or Saturday. I can't wait to see what Spielberg has in store for us.

#7 of 516 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 10:30 AM

And it's a somewhat-longer-than-usual movie, at 140 minutes (plus previews).
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 516 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 20 2002 - 10:34 AM

I've already purchased my ticket for the 4 PM show tomorrow!! Now I'm just praying that no emergencies pop up at work tomorrow PM... Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#9 of 516 Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 10:48 AM

Not sure if people are aware of this little fact (I wasn't) - Minority Report is based on a short by Philip Dick (1956). He also wrote the short story for which Blade Runner is based on.

Pretty fine pedigree...I'm anxiously awaiting this movie. I've never seen so many movies on opening night in one year. This one will probably be added to the list.
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#10 of 516 Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 11:08 AM

I'll be seeing it in just over three hours. Man I love being well hooked up.
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#11 of 516 Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted June 20 2002 - 11:37 AM

Roger Ebert's 4 star review of Minority Report:
http://www.suntimes.....nority21f.html
A month ago I was only slightly interested in this movie, but now I can't wait. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough!

#12 of 516 Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron

Screenwriter

• 2,541 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 01:05 PM

Rotten Tomatoes has 45 reviews for Minority Report. Only one is negative! That's very impressive!

#13 of 516 Bill Slack

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 01:11 PM

A little off topic here...

So I go to buy tickets for it. But I can't buy them for MR at any AMC/GC in my area. What the heck? I can buy tix for it at the Loews and other theaters. I can buy tix for any other movies. No, it can't be that all the shows for the next week at 20 theaters are sold out...

Anyone else run into the same thing and know why? (It's been like this for a couple days.)

#14 of 516 Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 01:12 PM

Minority Report definitely looks like a movie I will love. I like futuristic city type movies. I loved Blade Runner, Total Recall, and the beginning of Episode II and this looks even better. Spielberg is most definitely at the most interesting point in his career. A.I. was easily one of the better films of last year, even if it was a modern remake of Pinocchio.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#15 of 516 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 02:33 PM

OK, my review is up in the appropriate thread. Plus it's on the TOP of the Minority Report page over at Rotten Tomatoes! (I love when they list the critics in Z - A fashion!) Posted Image

This seems to be one of those movies you like MORE a few hours after watching it. Hope you guys have a great time with it!

#16 of 516 Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 02:47 PM

Nice review Scott...I am so looking forward to this flick. Gonna see it tomorrow FOR SURE.

#17 of 516 Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for posting the review, much better than I can put into words Posted Image . You nailed it Scott, its better a few hours after viewing it.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#18 of 516 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted June 20 2002 - 06:48 PM

I'm not reading yet because I want no spoilers, but this is the only place that I can say that I'm more excited because I forgot that Scott Frank was writing and that I LOVE Get Shorty and Out of Sight (the 2 best Elmore Leonard translations IMO).

I'll be joining the club tomorrow and noon Indy time.

#19 of 516 Sarah Temple

Sarah Temple

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 01:21 AM

did anyone see ebert when he reviewed Minority Report on his nice little television show? i happened to be watching, and he showed clips from it that gave me intense goose bumps!! he kept showing the combination of classic film techniques and new aged technology and how they are intertwined to make a masterpiece. i am so psyched about seeing it tonight!!!!
Now that I've met you, would you object to never seeing me again? ~ Magnolia

#20 of 516 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts

Posted June 21 2002 - 01:36 AM

One critic here in Boston has given the movie 4 stars. He NEVER gives sci-fi more than 3 stars. He seems to have a biased against sci-fi IMO.

I was thinking that this was a DVD purchase but now I'll be headed to the theater asap.
You want to upgrade again?!!