What's new

The Eternal Beatles Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I've been wanting to start this thread for some time now.
For me the Beatles hold a special place in my heart. When I was in Grade 4 in elementary school, my teacher would play his guitar in class. Half our time was consumed by learning Beatles songs, and playing music. Half way through the year I had memorized the lyrics to every single Beatles song. Ever since then, the Beatles have always been a favourite of mine. I'm sure I'm not alone in this respect.
My favourite albums are:
Abbey Road
Let it Be
Revolver
These are favourites in that I will listen to them in any mood. I love their other albums but don't play them as much.
What does everyone else think?
Seb
------------------
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This seems more like a poll than a discussion.
My favorite three are
The White Album
Revolver (British)
Help (British)
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
This seems more like a poll than a discussion.
It's still early. :) Besides, I doubt this will be moved into the Polls area. The Music section is kinda dead. Otherwise how else is this thread still hanging around in the Music area:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000558.html
Moving on, The Beatles' self-titled 1968 double-album aka The White Album will be their finest moment...a perfect blend of the Fab Four's individual influences, perfect melodies and at the same time, a somewhat sad portrait of a band splitting apart.
I remember reading that George Martin thought the album would be better as a single record. Good thing the band thought otherwise. I really can't think of anything that should be cut out. Even the filler-like material ("Wild Honey Pie," "Long Long Long," "Martha My Dear," "I Will," etc.) seems to nicely fit within in the context of the album.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

James RD

Supporting Actor
My top three would be:
Rubber Soul
The White Album
Abbey Road
Boy, does this music age well!!

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
wow - this should be an excellent thread.
i just got done recording a nice, incredibly clean first uk pressing of sgt. pepper's (mono)onto dat last night (to be transferred to cd tonight).
i love that album and listen to it often.
i would add to my list:
the white album
revolver
rubber soul
those are my favourites, but i do listen to them all, often.
a
ps. i would also add that i am really into the mono mixes, for what it's worth.
------------------
visit neverville

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I've been reading about the mono mix for Pepper recently and have wanted to hear it. I have an old cassette somewhere for the White album in mono, and I've heard that the Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour mono mixes are well worth listening to as well.
I would love to own a CD-Rburner because I love making mix tapes from my CD library (I just passed the 1800 mark with the purchase of the Zombies box set). I am compiling a proposed box set celebrating the year 1967. I have a few more CDs to buy before I can start.
My favorite Beatles songs tend to not be the ones played on the radio much (Yes It Is, Every Little Thing, It's Only Love, I'll Be Back, Flying, Happiness is a Warm Gun, etc.)
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I must say, I never understood the appeal of the White Album. It's experimental, but the experiments aren't particularly musical, just, I dunno, annoying. Sgt Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Magical Myster Tour are the only albums I actually listen to.
I think that the Beatles are heralded more for their influence and their role in rock 'n' roll history than on musical merits. I'm 23 years old, so I think I listen to them with objective ears. I have no nostalgia.
With that, I do like the Beatles and have tremendous respect for what they did. If nothing else, they had guts. I can't stand their earlier stuff; it's more relevant because of its history. I mean, really, is there anything interesting in "I Wanna Hold Your Hand?" Their late stuff also doesn't hold my interest. When Lennon and McCartney were not working together as much, the magic was lost. Their peak, though, was fantastic. I'll never get sick of Revolver.
The only thing the Beatles lack in, for me, is style. They're too "nice" and friendly. That's just a matter of taste, though. I like stuff that kicks me harder in the ass.
Kevin Leanord,
I don't get that comment about the prog rock thread? Are you a prog basher? Just curious.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Mike,
Ha, I got you beat! I'm 20 years old and never get tired of listening to the Beatles albums.
In response to your question: Larry said the thread felt like a Poll more than a Music thread. I was simply pointing out the prog-rock thread because that is a Poll question if there ever was one and yet still remains in the Music area. That's all.
(And yes, I really don't like prog-rock. If people want to listen to King Crimson, Curved Air, Yes, old-school Genesis, etc., then more power to them. I just never really got into it. But I wasn't trying to bash the genre by linking that thread.)
The only thing the Beatles lack in, for me, is style. They're too "nice" and friendly. That's just a matter of taste, though. I like stuff that kicks me harder in the ass.
Well, "Helter Skelter" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" kicked my ass pretty hard when I heard them for the first time. :)
Larry,
What a small world. I just recently purchased the Zombies box set too! :) Such a great, underrated group.
By the way, I've heard the mono mix of The White Album is vastly different to its stereo counterpart. Is this true? To my ears, there usually isn't much of a difference between mono and stereo, but I've read that the The White Album mono mix has additional instruments you can hear, a more aggressive sound and even additional lyrics! Is this true?
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
ah, yes - the zombies are quite nice as well..
as for the mono mixes of the beatles tracks, they are the only mixes the beatles themselves were involved in. the stereo mixes were done after the fact and did not involve the beatles at all.
this changed with the white album and later efforts, which were recorded in stereo and then later remixed in mono by the beatles by special request (demanded by the fans, more like it).
the mono mixes have always had their fans, and they are different.
i do not own the white album yet, it will cost me a good us$400 or so to track one down that i would be happy with. i will have one soon, though, as i am itching to hear it.
sgt. pepper's is different. the most noticable differences are:
lucy in the sky with diamonds - john's voice has more effect on it, bass seems much more in the mix
getting better - the hook vocal harmonies have been mixed a little differently
fixing a hole - more bass, some of paul's vocals seem to be from slightly different takes
within you without you - biggest difference on the album for any of the tracks, the end has been slightly extended and ends with a group of people laughing and applauding
when i'm sixty-four - seems slightly less sped up, making paul's chipmunk voice a little easier to listen to
it has been mentioned that george martin greatly preferred the mono version of the album, having read that some time ago, it took me a long time to find a copy in the condition i needed to record at home.
revolver also has some cool changes.. i can detail that later sometime.
as much as i didn't like their earlier, cover/pop material before, i have to say that i do enjoy going back and listening to it now. it is fun stuff, for me at least.
and the experimental/musique concrete moments of revolution 9 in the white album are incredible for me. right up my street.
my favourite track being happiness is a warm gun..
ah.. the beatles!
a
------------------
visit neverville

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I think it's much more interesting to discuss favorite Beatles songs rather than albums, so here I go...
I generally prefer the less-heard songs as well, likely because, in not over-exposing myself to them, I am able to retain a sense of freshness with each listen.
I would mention:
*I Should Have Known Better* Probably my favorite Beatles tune. Whenever I hear it I picture the scene from the film A Hard Day's Night in which they sing it. Awesome vocals and driving harp from John.
*Here, There, & Everywhere* Their most beautiful melody, and among their most beautiful lyrics ("I want her everywhere, and if she's beside me I know I need never care...")
*Oh, Darling* What ass-kicking vocals!
*She's Leaving Home* A song of depth that is a heart-breaker. I've just recently come to appreciate it.
*A Hard Day's Night* Just hearing that opening (G7) chord can send chills down my spine (this is a nostalgia entry).
*If I Fell* Remember Diane Keaton crying, singing this song in the bathtub in the film "Shoot the Moon"?
*I Will* A gorgeous love song.
*In My Life* Over-played but underrated.
*Sexy Sadie* More great Lennon vocals.
*Across the Universe* Another underrated gem I've only recently 'discovered'.
...and the inevitable list of songs I could do without ever hearing again: Good Day Sunshine, Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, A Taste of Honey, Baby You're a Rich Man, Got To Get You Into My Life, Birthday, & Don't Pass Me By.
Comments?
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ah excellent call Kevin on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". What a fantastic song. The Beatles have lots of style. In fact they had so much style that they were copied (in style) by some groups.
No style? Listen to Tracks 10-13 on Abbey Road. (Sun King, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window). Not to mention the first song on the disk, "Come Together".
Seb
------------------
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree

[Edited last by Sebastian_M on August 30, 2001 at 08:57 PM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, sorry I misunderstood your post about the prog thread. I tend to get defensive of prog because most people seem so intent on tearing it down. Not liking it is one thing, I just don't understand why it's as maligned as it is. Again, sorry about that.
Well, let me ammend my previous statement: it's not that the Beatles lack style, it's more like they lack a, I dunno, kick. They're a bit too happy for me most of the time.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
As a teenager growing up with the Beatles was a treat indeed. I consider the 60's the most influential decade of the century. The Beatles set the tone so to speak for a new direction in music. A most exciting period to see it & listen to it. My favorite tunes are the more early Beatles tunes She Loves You, Bad Boy, Boys, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Misery, I Want to Hold Your Hand etc. But I love all their music to be honest. People will be listening to Beatle tunes probably forever. Their music is timeless! They are also probably the most collectable artists of all besides Elvis.
Al

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but the best three Beatle's albums have got to be:
Sgt Pepper's
Abbey Road
Revolver
Sgt Pepper's was the touchstone of excellence for years until critics, because they've got to be perverse as part of their job contracts, decided it was 'indulgent'. Strange how ever since they spend their time protesting why Sgt Pepper's isn't the best album.
The Beatles are unquestionably the biggest single influence in pop music. You don't have to like them, but in pop history they are fantastically important. It is difficult to appreciate now, but they were almost single-handedly responsible for getting people to take pop music seriously rather than as a fashion accessory. Sure, people like Bob Dylan had attracted intellectual attention, but that was for his lyrics, and followed in the long line of the press patronising folk singers. Sergeant Pepper was the watershed. Revolver arguably has better-constructed tunes, but it's Pepper which as a unit is more memorable. Abbey Road is in many ways a repeat of the Pepper concept, only with far better melodies.
Personally, whilst I hugely admire the Beatles, and have everything they released (plus a lot of the sort of unofficial recordings we're not allowed to mention on this forum) I like to listen to e.g. Pet Shop Boys, Abba and Kraftwerk even more. I think their melodies are far catchier and there is often less filler on their albums. I agree 100 per cent with George Martin that the White Album should have been clipped to a single LP. The reason it wasn't was because of the internal feuds within the group, so everybody's contributions had to go on. However, there's also a lot of filler on their other albums as well. One of the great joys of the Beatles on CD is that it's easy to skip tracks.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Pepper mono - Gotta disagree with choices for "most different" tracks. The last 4 tracks on the lp are the most varied. Rita has almost all the vocal sound effects (grunts and heavy breathing) mixed out at the end, and the piano is much louder in this section. Also the final shout of "Leave It!" is much louder and up front. Good Morning Good Morning has an extended ending (longer fade before the sound effects) - and the sound effects come in at different times. The "blend" into Peppers reprise is also edited differently. The Reprise has extra drum beats at the beginning, and at the end Paul is yelling maniacally, which is all but mixed out of the stereo. The "blend" into A Day in the Life is different as well. the mono has the heavy breathing after the line "dragged a comb across my head" edited out (or at least buried in the mix).
The White album has some differences, but the most famous one is Helter Sketlter which runs about a minute shorter in mono. The section where the first fade (in stereo) is from a different part of the same take on the mono, and the song does not fade back in. Background vocals are WAY louder to. The mono has no "blisters on my fingers" at the end.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Although I have to give an edge to the White album just because there's more music there, there's no way in hell I could list just three.
Just a few comments.
Well, let me ammend my previous statement: it's not that the Beatles lack style, it's more like they lack a, I dunno, kick. They're a bit too happy for me most of the time.
Please listen to Yer Blues. It hardly lacks kick, and the lyrics are far from happy.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Anyone have a clue if the Beatles Anthology will 'ever' be released on DVD???? I haven't seen it since it was on TV years ago. What a money maker it would be.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Could you give me a quick definition of progressive rock?
No :)
I went into a whole thing about it in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000558.html
It has never been clearly "defined," but I guess this one can do for now:
Progressive rock: Rock music that incorporates non-rock musical styles and technically skilled musicianship to create complex, "serious" music.
I assure you, this definition is inadequate.
That being said, most prog musicians and fans love the Beatles. Many credit the Beatles as being one of the creators of the genre. Yes, one of the premier prog bands of all time, covered a Beatles song on their first album. Those Beatles songs with strings (Strawberry Fields and such) could be considered prog, or art-rock. Early attempts to create "serious" rock music involved adding orchestra sounds to the music (Moody Blues, for example).
Ok, everyone keeps telling me Yer Blues are an example of the Beatles "kicking ass" or whatever. Fine, but that's one song. Their general attitude is one focused on melodic, uplifting sing-songs. That's just their "thing." Everyone has their emotional approach: the Stones were sleazy, Floyd were artsy, the Dead were stoned hippies, etc.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Ok, everyone keeps telling me Yer Blues are an example of the Beatles "kicking ass" or whatever. Fine, but that's one song. Their general attitude is one focused on melodic, uplifting sing-songs. That's just their "thing." Everyone has their emotional approach: the Stones were sleazy, Floyd were artsy, the Dead were stoned hippies, etc.
I consider those to be mostly overgeneralizing. The Stones had lots of happy music, both lyrically and musically.
The following are just some of the Beatles songs with darker lyrics:
A Day in the Life (suicide, etc.)
Don't Bother Me
For No One
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Hey Bulldog
I am the Walrus
I Dont' Want to Spoil the Party
I'll Cry Instead
I'm a Loser
I'm So Tired
Misery
Norwegian Wood (all about an extramarital affair)
Piggies (one of the first uses of 'damn' on a mainstream lp)
Revolution
Run for Your Life
She's Leaving Home
The Ballad of John & Yoko
Think for Yourself
What Goes On?
Yer Blues
You Can't Do That
You Never Give Me Your Money
The following are among the ones that aren't exactly soft rock:
Helter Skelter
Hey Bulldog
I Feel Fine (first feedback on record)
Long Tall Sally
Revolution
Tomorrow Never Knows
Yer Blues
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Bad Boy
Come Together
Happiness is a Warm Gun
and lots of others
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Overall, I miss the diversity a band like The Beatles brought into a single unit. With every album they took a step that had people shaking their heads for a few weeks, until everyone caught on. Needless to say - back in '64 when everyone was gearing up for the next batch of "yeah, yeah, yeah", they offered up "For Sale" kicking it off with "No Reply". Lyrically they moved on from Holding Hands and musically they began to work in a more "folk music" style.
Just when we thought we had them pegged - they offered Revolver which gave us a harder sound, yet put it alongside some of their most easy going, yet finely crafted pop songs yet.
Just when we thought the studio experimentation would never stop - they went back to the roots with the white album. Abbey Road was the swansong and neatly tied the whole thing up.
The remarkable thing was - through 14 original albums, they were always respected. They did it all - hard, soft, serious, humorous, even downright goofy. And only recently do people begin to criticize them. There are very few modern popular acts that have the diversity they did (quick: name three). Oddly enough, those that do either suffer from poor sales or are labeled eccentric (like Elvis Costello), or else their fan base criticizes them for selling out - just for TRYING (like Metallica).
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks