What's new

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

MattyC

Grip
Okay guys I need your expert opinion.....QUICK!! The wife has given me the ultimatum, "Hurry up and go buy your receiver, or I'm using the money when I go on vacation with my girlfriends"!!

I've been agonizing over what receiver to purchase for the past month. 1st I was going to stick w/Sony, then I thought about the Onkyo 600, then the 700, but after reading the feedback and the low power in the 5.1 modes I've decided against it.

What I MUST have, in the $600-700 price range, is something that gives me an equal amount of power/quality for both the enjoyment of music, AND the enjoyment of home theater in all modes.

I have until a week from today to put my money down on a quality receiver, or sit in my house in the middle of July watching Gladiator, and ID4 through a 7 year old Dolby Pro Logic receiver, while my wife drinks and her friends drink my chance for Digital HT into a drunken oblivion!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
What speakers do you have ? also do you need/want a 7 channel setup ? do you listen to music as well ? and do you prefer neutral, bright or warm sound ? those answers will help us help you before your wife checks into AA;)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had your problem:D. Check out Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 700. Or you can checkout audiogon for some reasonably priced used equipment. I recently picked up a amp in perfect working order from there.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Check out the Harman AVR520 ($630) shipped from OneCall.
Or Sony DA5ES- $750.00 Shipped from Oade Bros
or the For Sale section of this forum has a Sony DA5ES for $700.00 shipped.

Good Luck
Angelo

MattyC

Grip
John,
Right now I'm using the Bose Acoustimass 7 system but am going to make a change, JBL I believe, as well as quality sub, rear, and center channel speakers. I listen to music just as much as I watch DVD, so I'd certainly would want something with some power behind it. In terms of the type of sound, I'm looking for a warm/bright sound. The best reference I could use, would be a system that Pink Floyd would sound great on!!

Michael,
does the Onkyo 700 suffer from low power output like the 600?.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey why not go out and get the Pioneer 811 (which I and others here own and love) for around $350 shipped, and take the balance of the money and tell your wife to use what's leftover for her vacation! Then you'll BOTH be happy! :)
Just a thought.
Alfer

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would get the Yamaha RX-V1200.
A long time ago I used an RX-V793, 1st as a receiver, then as a pre/pro with outboard amps. Liked it alot.
Have had a Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro for the last 3.5 years. The Yamaha's DSP processing was better performing. Otherwise, the Yammie's performance, detail, 2-channel stereo sound *approached* the Sony's, at less than 1/2 the cost.
Came within 2 weeks of getting the 1200 to use as a pre/pro. But then we got the word that Outlaw is working on the hiss fix, and the 5.1 analog input really is analog. :)
Out of all the receiver's listed, I don't personally think you can go wrong. You just have to find a set of features, power, and performance that will make you happy. Go check out the reviews on www.audioreview.com and www.ecoustics.com. And if you haven't already, you should be reading the reviews in the home theater mags. SGHT, S&V, HTM, WSR, and the new DVD Etc...

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Denon 3801.
Much better than the 2802, should ba about the same price if you can find one at a local dealer. Try and make a deal, they will be willing to go low, as they will want to get rid of all the leftovers.

Except of course if you really must have Dolby Prologic II (the DTS Neo:6 on my 3801 works fine for my purposes)...

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Someone's selling a Denon 3802 at the Hardware for Sale forum here for $700. I bet u might even get it lower...maybe.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Just buy whatever and when she goes on her trip return it! :) Then you can keep on agonizing until you're good and ready. ;)
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks