Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

King Kong (1933)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 17 2002 - 11:28 PM

I haven't bought the English version of this classic, as I heard it is a truly awful disc. I recently discovered that it was released in France too, with the following artwork:

Posted Image

Can somebody please comment on the quality of this release, or tell if the French subtitles are removable?
E-Mail | Collection

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Hendrik

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted June 18 2002 - 12:26 AM

...(French) subtitles are optional... disc includes 'long' version (US, restored) and the (French-language only) 'short' version... image quality is as 'good' as can be expected from a movie from 1933, ditto for the sound - in all: quite good, really, considering... disc extras include re-recorded music extracts... if you like the movie, I recommend this release (no comparison to the dire UK release!)...

http://www.dvdfr.com...ue.php3?id=2218

Groetjes!

. . . Posted Image . . .

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 18 2002 - 02:31 AM

Thanks Hendrik! One little question though, if you don't mind: do you have this info first hand, or was it translated from the French review? I'm asking because I was just about to order it, when I read the following on www.cinestore.fr:
[quote] Sous-Titre:
Français, obligatoires avec la VO [quote]

My French is very bad, but doesn't that mean that they are non-optional when listining to the original soundtrack (VO = version originale)?
E-Mail | Collection

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Hendrik

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted June 18 2002 - 05:38 AM

...you can choose between:

1) the 'short' (French language only) version

2) the version longue (VOST = English language + French subs)

...and...

3) the version longue (VO = English language without subs - the 'purist' version,
so to speak Posted Image )...

http://www.dvdfr.com...he.php3?id=2218

...'n zeer verzorgde uitgave...

. . . Posted Image . . .

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 18 2002 - 07:28 AM

Hendrik, Thanks again. Will order it soon.

....Als ik ooit iets voor je terug kan doen....Posted Image
E-Mail | Collection

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted June 18 2002 - 06:39 PM

Did I convert the currency correctly? 14.30 USD for the King Kong DVD? And, how much for shipping since my French is as bad as my German. Meaning I couldn't translate French, or German, if my wife's life depended on it. Oh, and has anyone ordered from Cinestore?
http://www.dvdaficio...&id=smokedragon

My horror collection(so far)

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 19 2002 - 07:48 AM

You converted it correctly, Bob. International shipping is expensive, though. Cinestore charges another €15 (again 14,30 USD, or 14.35 through the converter I use) for shipping to the States.
E-Mail | Collection

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 19 2002 - 08:46 AM

BTW, if you're interested in some other classics that have their best (or only) release in France, be sure to check: Rules Of The Game (La Règle Du Jeu) The Magnificent Ambersons (nice collector's box) Apocalypse Now Redux (2 dvd's) and maybe (as I don't have it myself) also: Bringing Up Baby AN:R and The Ambersons have some features that are French only, though.
E-Mail | Collection

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted June 19 2002 - 10:41 AM

Is there another online store that sells French import DVD's, but with an English storefront? My French is so poor that I'd probably end up with an Olson Twins movie. -Dave
DVD List

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 19 2002 - 06:09 PM

[quote] Is there another online store that sells French import DVD's, but with an English storefront? [quote] I don't know. The only other French site I order from is www.amazon.fr , and luckily they have an English customer service: english@amazon.fr.
They are usually a bit cheaper than Cinestore, but not this time: King Kong is €22.78, although international shipping is cheaper than Cinestore: €8 to the States, €1.90 for each additional item.
Their site layout is about the same as amazon.com, so maybe this one is easier to navigate.....
E-Mail | Collection

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   JohnN

JohnN

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 01:18 PM

Mark,

Another option is to buy the Spanish release from http://www.DVDGO.com which does have an English storefront.

I bought a copy from them some time ago and the picture quality is great. The disc has selectable English or Spanish audio tracks.

JohnN
JohnN

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 07:46 PM

Thanks John, but I already bought the French release Posted Image.
E-Mail | Collection

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 08:49 PM

www.dvdzone2.com has a French and English store for those with trouble translating

I have no idea about shipping costs to the US, there should be somebody who has experience

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted September 17 2002 - 10:09 PM

I would definitely recommend the German version of King Kong:

http://www.amazon.de....084397-6028052

I have two other releases from the same French label that has released King Kong (The Leopard Man and Cat People) and they have serious compression issues while the German version has good video quality and some extras!
If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users