What's new

Anybody like Pink Floyd??? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I am a huge fan of them and just read a pretty good book about them as a group. It's called Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd's Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner. It deals with Syd Barret, the group's original lead singer, a lot but tells us interesting backstage stories too. My fav. album of theirs is Meddle. The guitar playing and sound effects here are so great here. They really suck you into the music.
------------------

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
You are at the HTF - where FLOYD FANATICS abound! Welcome, Van Patton!
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I have a question. How can anyone NOT like Pink Floyd? They're music is so great. I love the operatic parts of the Wall, "Bring the boys, back HOME." Great stuff. I love the first song on Meddle, great stuff as well.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
That's a good book. I bought it when it was first printed about ten years ago.
And now we'll have the argument over which one of us is the bigger Pink Floyd fan. I'd make an argument for myself, however I'm probably not as I've recently lost weight :)
In my opinion, the triumverate of Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are the Floyd's greatest works. Now, I'm not old enough to have been a fan when those albums were recorded, my fandom is after the fact as Pink Floyd is now a cornerstone of "classic rock" radio. The new generation of fans such as myself knows DSOTM from the prolific airplay on radio, and parts of WYWH as well. The classic rock radio stations where I live play far too much Lynyrd Skynyrd, but they do play quite a bit of Floyd. From WYWH, "Shine On" doesn't get much airplay but "Welcome To The Machine", "Have A Cigar", and the title track get a little, each somewhat proportional to the "mellowness" of those tracks, which means "Have A Cigar" gets more airplay than the others. But Animals gets no radio airplay at all where I live, the songs are "too long" and the lyrics "too dark". And that's a shame, because the music rocks! DSOTM and The Wall are great, but anybody who likes classic rock should have these in their collection anyway. To make the next step beyond a casual fan familiar only with what is heard on the radio, to become a true Pink Floyd fan, your collection has to include Animals.
Anyway, I'm not one of those Floyd fans who dislikes the current lineup of the band without Roger Waters. I like the new songs from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. It's a different and new direction for the band under David Gilmour's leadership, but I still like it. The extended guitar solo on "Sorrow" that closes out the AMLOR album is one of Gilmour's best.
I ripped some Floyd tracks from CD to wav files, dropped them into multitrack editing software, and crossfaded them together in typical Floyd fashion to create a CD-R of my favorite Floyd tunes to listen to in my car. Here is my playlist:
AM car radio tuning various stations, finally stopping on the acoustic guitar of...
1. Wish You Were Here
... the wind sound effects at the end Wish You Were Here crossfades into the wind at the beginning of...
2. One of These Days
... the wind at the end crossfades into the distant explosions at the very end of "On the Run", which then goes into the ticking clocks of...
3. Time
... on the lyric "tolling of the iron bell", the "Division Bell" starts to ring, and the song ends just in time to hit the first piano notes of...
4. High Hopes
... as the slide guitar solo fades while the bell continues to ring, bring in the slowly building acoustic guitar of...
5. Dogs
... no crossfade here, the song ends cold, so I follow it with a song that starts cold...
6. Learning to Fly
7. Hey You
... as the final lyric "divided we fall" echoes, crossfade to the repeating montage at the beginning of...
8. Comfortably Numb
... as the music fades, cue the cash register...
9. Money
10. Sorrow

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I agree that Animals is a great record. I just love the feel of the album, as well as the differing tones from the beginning to the end of the album.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of Roger Waters, both with PF and in his solo career. I must confess I don't listen to any "Floyd" without Waters, whom I consider to be the main creative force. I love Dave G.'s style, of course, but his PF work w/o RW reveals a lack of depth, more of a rock feel. Forget about any lyrical profundity, that's Roger's arena.
My favorite PF record is The Final Cut, which I actually consider to be a Waters' solo album (the rest of the band might agree :)), and Amused to Death is one of the highlights of the whole PF/RW catalog.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
While Pink Floyd without Roger Waters lacks his lyrical profundity, his solo albums (including The Final Cut) are similarly lacking in the music department. Waters and Gilmour each were at their best when they worked together (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals), and not quite so well when they were at each other's throats (The Wall), and each of their separate work since then only demonstrates the other's important contributions that are now missing.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
While Pink Floyd without Roger Waters lacks his lyrical profundity, his solo albums (including The Final Cut) are similarly lacking in the music department.
I know I'm in the minority, but, as you might guess from my post, I don't find that to be true at all. They are less "accessible" to the average fan who would gravitate toward hit compilations rather than a complete work, true, but that doesn't mean lacking to me.
Looking at their solo projects really allows one to recognize what each meant to Pink Floyd, and I find that Gilmour needs Waters much more than the inverse. Again, not many really "get" Waters, certainly not something as non-commercial as Amused to Death.

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, "Meddle" is one of the greatest albums ever made ! "A Saucerful Of Secrets" is also good.
icon14.gif

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
In short, to answer your question: YES!!!!
I'm listening to Shine on you Crazy Diamond as I type these words. I'm a big fan on Pink Floyd. I was thinking of starting a favourite song poll for them, but here are mine anyways:
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Comfortably Numb
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Very nice compilation by the way.
icon14.gif

Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Richard Fernandez

Stunt Coordinator
YES,
One of the reason's Roger Waters left the band was because he thought that they had reached there creative peak. Well, He was right. Pink Floyd's last great album was The Wall. Pink Floyd is supposed to come out with a new album at the end of this year or at the beginning of next year. Let's hope it's there last.
Later
:)
Were the hell is Roger Waters "in the flesh" DVD
furious.gif

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I beg to differ on the importance of Roger Waters. He took the band in the direction of the Final Cut and if PF released Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking (according to Saucerful Full of secrets book, they had to choose between recording The Wall and Pros and Cons in 1978).
Each album represented a trend after The Wall that I disliked. Too wordy and the music taking a second priority. If someone can honestly say here they liked Final Cut and Pros and Cons, then there is nothing I can say. Even Eric Clapton couldn't save that latter album.
It's true about Momentary Lapse album, it doesn't have Roger's hard edge sarcastic lyrics, and too much of Gilmours weepy philosophical lyrics, which are nice, but too common.
The only way PF would still be good is if they did the same kind of group contribution up to the Wall, and not the self indulgent material that came after it. Gilmour tried to be more like Waters with the song Dogs of War, but missed the mark I'm afraid.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: If someone can honestly say here they liked Final Cut and Pros and Cons, then there is nothing I can say. [/quote]
I can live with that.
wink.gif

Pros and Cons is the one RW record I don't listen to much. The Final Cut is my favorite Waters album.
You're right about Dave though, he shouldn't try to be Roger.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
"Floyd is supposed to come out with a new album at the end of this year or at the beginning of next year. Let's hope it's there last."
No, let's hope it's good. I thought Momentary Lapse of Reason was pretty good, but The Division Bell bored me so much with one listen I returned it and exchanged it for some Martin Denny.
------------------
Ha Ha, charade you are! - Eric Cartman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks