What's new

Santa Cruz Sound Check - Hardware Test: Failed - What should I do next? (1 Viewer)

I used the OEM CD Dell gave me to uninstall Turtle Beach Santa Cruz as suggested by a poster on the DellTalk forum (part of Dell's website). I wanted to upgrade from the original driver (v.41.12) Dell installed on my system to v.41.61s off the Turtle Beach website. Her experience was that using Add/Remove Programs didn't completed remove everything, and I wanted a 'clean' install of the 41.61 driver.
The download went okay and the new driver seemed to install without any problems. (It seemed I lost the Santa Cruz control panel untill I realized that I had to dbl-click on its executable in the subfolder; then reconfigure the DellTouch setting for my keyboard to open it whenever I wanted).
However, when I ran the Santa Cruz Sound Check it reported: "Hardware test failed". Here is a copy of the report I was able to print out:

Hardware Test
Test 9: Load Spud API Pass
CWGMSG_SUCCESS
Found Santa Cruz DSP Test 10: Locate DSP Pass
Default settings restored successfully. Test 7: Restore Default Settings Pass
Please make sure that no other applications are running and that your CD drive is not playing. Please make sure that no other applications are running and that your CD drive is not playing. Please make sure that no other applications are running and that your CD drive is not playing.
Test 12: Check Codec 0 Fail:The device may require a reboot before functioning.
No other apps were running at the time, yet the warning to make sure was repeated 3 times. I disabled Internet Security (including Antivirus). The only thing running were background services, you know, that long list on the Task manager even when no applications are running. I tried rebooting, several times. It didn't help.
I have not yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 41.61 driver yet. (I won't be able to use the OEM CD this time, right?) Before I do anything elese, I wanted some input from others.
I do have sound. At least normal PC sounds. I haven't played any CD's or DVD's yet.
Any thoughts?
My System:
Dell Dimension 8200 (BIOS A04 dated 03/18/02)
Intel P4 @ 1.8 GHz with 512 Mb RDRAM
80 GB Maxtor 6L080L4 Hard Drive
Planar PV174 (17.4") TFT LCD monitor (1280 x 1024 native resolution) w/ DVI-D input and self powered 2 port USB 1.1 Hub
NVIDIA 64MB DDR GeForce3 Ti200 w/ DVI-D output (Dell OEM - actually an MSI 8851)
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers
Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (Dell OEM)
Win XP Home Edition v.5.1.2600 (Dell OEM)
Microsoft Office Small Business (Dell OEM)
Norton Internet Security 2002 (retail)
Conexant HSF V.92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Fax Modem
Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter NIC
NEC DV-5800A variable speed (16x max.) DVD ROM
LITE-ON LTR-24102M CD-RW
Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum v.5.1.0.104 (retail)
Dell Enhanced Performance USB Keyboard
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
HP PSC 950 Multi-Function Device

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
the sound check test is notoriously unreliable. It doesn't pass on my system yet everything works fine. If your sound works, then don't bother messing with it just to get the test to pass

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks