Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A Widescreen vs P&S story with a happy ending :-)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted June 15 2002 - 10:57 AM

I was just at Blockbuster to rent a movie, when the woman in line in front of me walked up to the register to buy "Harry Potter". She gave the clerk the WS version, and the clerk asked "Don't you want the fullscreen version instead?" The woman said "Oh yeah, sure" and put the WS back. I said "Come on, you don't want to the fullscreen version, you won't get the whole picture if you do". She said "Well, what's the difference?". The clerk then explained the difference saying "the fullscreen one fills the TV, but the sides are cut off, and the WS one shows the whole picture, but you'll get black bars on top and bottom". The woman then said "Oh, then I want the widescreen one". She then turned to me and said "Thank you". HAHA, take that Blockbuster! Posted Image

Made me very happy.

/Mike
/Mike

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,208 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 15 2002 - 11:05 AM

Way to go, Mike! We all need to keep doing our part. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 15 2002 - 05:18 PM

Nice work Micke! Posted Image You did your good deed for this month. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Dustin B

Dustin B

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted June 15 2002 - 06:13 PM

Cool, but what I don't understand is if the clerk actually new the difference, why did he tell her she wanted the full screen version?
Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted June 15 2002 - 07:25 PM

but what I don't understand is if the clerk actually new the difference, why did he tell her she wanted the full screen version

Yeah, that was odd to me too, but I assume they just like to point out which version the customer is buying, to avoid that they get the incorrect version (even though her choice of words were somewhat peculiar if that's what she was doing). That's the benign interpretation, the malign one is of course that Blockbuster wants to sell more fullscreen and try to steer customers towards that. Posted Image

/Mike
/Mike

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 15 2002 - 07:32 PM

Well thats a happy ending to your encounter, but how many DVD consumers are being misled by these BlockBuster clerks?

Man, I thought Blockbuster was going out of Business or something. Or maybe it was just that I wish they did.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   HenrikTull

HenrikTull

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted June 15 2002 - 09:06 PM

Well, we can only hope she NEVER watches the full screen version.

"I didn't see that on my widescreen version!"

Posted Image
A Little Slice of Heaven

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 04:32 AM

Ah, reading this thread makes me realize how much I love being on Netflix in the summers and not having to deal with Blockbuster.Posted Image
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:07 AM

The clerk probably knew the difference but was getting tired of people complaining about black bars. In the case of Harry Potter, the sides aren't cut off on the full screen but widescreen is the picture the director intended us to see.
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Micke, very inspirational! Posted Image I'll be sure to do the same if I ever see it happen.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:29 AM

"How do you like me NOW!"

Posted Image

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:52 AM

*thunder, lightning*

Well done, thou faithful child of widescreen!

*booming noises, echoes*

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 02:59 PM

In the case of Harry Potter, the sides aren't cut off on the full screen

In that LOONG thread in the Software forum, there were screenshots that "supported" both versions, in some shots the sides were cut off, in some cases not. Like you said though, you can't (IMO) go wrong with the theatrical version.

/Mike
/Mike

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:03 PM

Has our attitude changed since I've been away? Micke there is no case for P&S period! This is not your opinion it is a fact! When I hear of scenes getting chopped off I go on the offensive!

If I'm missing the point just ignore me, sorry.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted June 16 2002 - 05:28 PM

Quote:
there were screenshots that "supported" both versions

But only one of those screenshots was what was seen in the theater. If it's different, its alteration.

Back to the subject at hand-kudos for taking the time to steer the woman right. I'll bet that if I were there, I would have heard that familiar light-saber sound when you and the clerk "squared off" Posted Image Then you realized that both of the sabers were blue and gave each other a knowing nod. OAR Jedi, we salute you!

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted June 17 2002 - 05:44 AM

Wait - you were actually IN a Blockbuster? Were you scoping the place out for a robbery or simply stirring up problems? Don't tell me you were actually RENTING from them! Posted Image

HTF members at Blockbuster (shudder). What's next, lifetime NRA card holders playing golf with Rosie O'Donnell? Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted June 17 2002 - 05:55 AM

Ryan, I actually pondered whether I should even admit in the forum that I set foot at Blockbuster. Posted Image But I do, since it's the videostore that's closest to me (of course, they're everywhere).

At least I got a free rental of "Kate & Leopold" out of it, since they were out of stock on that title on Saturday. Posted Image

Oh no, now someone's gonna make fun of me for that too... Posted Image

/Mike
/Mike

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted June 17 2002 - 08:57 AM

I'm doing my part too! I tried to get Best Buy to pricematch CompUSA's price of $9.97 gfor Harry Potter. She called the local CUSA and they had only the full screen version. When she asked if I wanted the pricematch on the full screen I said "no way"! She then called another store, same result. She thought I was out of my mind and asked me why I wouldn't want to save $9 on the full screen. I explained the difference between P&S and widescreen, but I still don't think she gave a rat's a$$. Hopefully the people in line behind me overheard us.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 17 2002 - 01:51 PM

People still rent at Blockbuster!!

Stick to mom and pop stores myself