What's new

Postings in the Game area (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
To make this area a little bit more readable and fun - how about we do the following:
1. Short posts. No one - not even the authors - want to wade through a thesis. Worse yet, a blow-by-blow report of the blow-by-blow reply to a thesis - with full quoting, of course.
2. Legible posts. Yup, how about paragraphs, punctuation, maybe lists? I would HOPE everyone posting here knows what all that is...
3. No insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and they can certainly state them freely, but everyone - everyone - has to realize that OTHER folks are entitled to THEIR opinions, not just yours!
I see far too much sniping here. I understand everyone is excited about the upcoming consoles and games, and that this can get tempers going. Control them. There is NO need to flame anyone, snipe at anyone, tell people to shut up. There is also no need to restate points time after time after time - believe me, we get it.
We do have HTF Rules, you know. And Dan, myself, or for that matter any other moderator will enforce them. If a member sees an issue - alert a moderator, preferably Dan or myself if we are on-line. Don't go in after it yourself. And brickbat-tossing contests are out, period. This is not a locker room, a school yard, or a wrestling ring.
I think if we follow the above, we can have a little more peaceful interaction. This is a great area, it has a lot going for it, not the least of which is the enthusiasm of everyone here. We just sometimes need to tune the rhetoric a bit nicer.
Mike Voigt

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, except for the part about short posts. I like to see a well-reasoned, supported statement, and sometimes that takes real estate. I have also enjoyed the lengthy technical discussions undertaken by some who are allegedly developers or industry workers. Assuming it's true, that's the kind of content that is not available on the fanboy/"hardcore"/gamer sites out there.
We have had some "testy" moments here, especially for HTFers who have grown accustomed to the very civilized nature of this forum. Unfortunately, this seems to be happening in many subject areas of HTF, as people from other forums come here and bring the attitude of the other forum with them.
As an admin, continue to speak softly and carry a big stick.
John Kilroy
(who has also seen some testy "old timer" moments in DTS/DD and WS/P&S threads) ( -:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And for heaven's sake, keep advocacy posts limited to advocacy threads! If somebody starts a thread discussing the controller port architecture of console X, don't jump in and start arguing as to why console Y is superior! It causes good threads to devolve into a mess. If you want to advocate your system as opposed to another, start an 'X versus Y' or 'X is best because...' thread and contain the debate to that thread!

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I assume when you say “console x”, you are referring to the X-Box, and when you say “console y” you are referring to the plaYstation 2. How can you say the PS2 has better controller port architecture? Have you even used the controller for either system? As a developer for a major games company doing cross-platform development for all six systems (that's right, were developing for systems that you losers don't even know about yet),I can tell you that the Xbox has a 64-bit controller port architecture, versus the 32-bit system on the PS2. Plus, the Xbox has the proprietary MotionTrak algorithm that not only sends data faster, but forecasts what you are going to do next, through predictive technology. It pre-assembles this command, then stores it in a buffer, and sends it the instant you make that move on the controller. If it was wrong, then no harm done. It is still light years quicker and more reactive than the PieceofShit2 architecture. Besides, it doesn’t even matter how the controllers work if the game suckz, and they all do on PS2! XBOX RULZ!!!!! Now go home and play Mario or something before I lay the SMACKDOWN on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Satire mode off :)
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by John Kilroy on August 31, 2001 at 12:39 PM]
[Edited last by John Kilroy on August 31, 2001 at 12:41 PM]
[Edited last by John Kilroy on August 31, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks