Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What if DVD's were 12"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:05 AM

I thought I had read somewhere years ago(may have been dreaming) that had manufacurers applied DVD technology to the 12" disc we would have greater resolution both in audio and video. Does anyone here have opinions on this?Posted Image

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:07 AM

Then I'd have an even bigger storage problem than I do now Posted Image

N

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:19 AM

My calculations yield a capacity of 52GB for a dual layered 12" DVD. Hmmmm!

With all the research being done (by IBM and others) on high capacity storage, I forsee more data being crammed on even smaller disks in the future.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:54 AM

Then the format would have bombed. Size DOES matter

I wouldn't have minded personally

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:56 AM

Brought this up in another thread, but does anyone think that JVC's new D-THEATER format would have a better chance if it was on a 12" optical disc. I think so.

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 11:08 AM

If DVDs were 12", internal computer DVD-ROM drives & burners would make each computer look like IBM's "Big Blue"! Posted Image No thanks...

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 11:49 AM

I remember way back in the start of DVD, that there was some talk about Pioneer (the LD standard bearer) applying DVD encoding to LD size platters (Pioneer decided not to).
I'm half human on my mother's side.

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 12:54 PM

Quote "If DVDs were 12", internal computer DVD-ROM drives & burners would make each computer look like IBM's "Big Blue"! No thanks... "
Yeah, I guess you would require two formats in that regard. As far as bombing, maybe it wouldn't have gained the widespread appeal it has but I think it could have done well, and as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't mind a tad less mainstream appeal. I guess the snob in me remembers going into my local vid store and renting an LD as I watched J6P get the same movie for the same $ on VHS, I felt I was part of an elite group. Posted Image

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 01:54 PM

One of the reasons (besides hardware and software cost) that I never bought into LD was because of the huge discs.

IMO, if DVD were that big, DVD would have become niche only, instead of mainstream, at least in North America.

Plus I wonder how much the distributors like dealing with great big fragile discs.

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 02:44 PM

This is all moot because DVD is what it is but I guess what I was trying to get at is would we have gotten a superior product for viewing movies?Posted Image

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 03:24 PM

Well, there'd certainly be more room for minimal compression and full-bitrate audio and more extras... But would it be worth the aesthetic/ergonomic tradeoff? Don't know.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 03:42 PM

I think we'd all be happier. Of course, you need the "CD sized" disc for the masses, but I would much rather own a niche product where the offerings are catered to people like us.

To me, the perfect niche product would be 12" sized discs, all with video and audio using minimal/no compression. These larger discs would never be accepted by the masses. I'm not advocating getting rid of the CD sized disc. Rather, I'd like to see the current size for the "regular folks", and the cost is no object, uncompressed, 12" discs for people like us. I would gladly go back to paying $40-$60 for the kind of quality we'd get with a larger disc using less/no compression.

I long for the days of owning a niche product like Laserdisc. That said, I agree with the person above who said that our home theater products are only going to get smaller and more compressed.

Regards,
Dan

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted June 13 2002 - 04:06 PM

Widescreen Review used to have a little cartoon with any article that was written about this emerging DVD format of which Gary Reber was very skeptical of when the specs were first announced. The cartoon was of a little DVD looking up to this big laserdisc and saying something like "What I could be if I had your size".

And, it was Gary who proposed how a high definition digital format could use the 12" medium.

That stopped once the 16X9 DVD started showing up.

Joel
Joel

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 05:52 PM

DanR
I agree, I could never afford to own a large collection of Ld because of the price,but whenever I did buy one I felt like I was getting something special, and there was never a shortage of rental discs, so I was always able to see a movie even if I couldn't afford to buy it. DVD just feeds another addiction.Posted Image

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 08:19 PM

perhaps a compromise would have worked? say an 8-inch disc, so it's a fair bit bigger and holds quite a bit more data, but isn't as clunky as a 12" platter?

after all, the original size of the CD was arbitrarily set so that somebody's favourite symphony would just fit (at 74 mins) on one side. IIRC, that somebody was Akio Morita, Sony's late Chairman, but I could be wrong on this since Philips invented CD? maybe Sony collaborated? or was it Philips' chairman?

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 09:51 PM

Actually according to Snopes that is undetermined.

http://www.snopes2.c...ia/cdlength.htm

It was supposedly Beethoven's 9th Symphony.
I'm half human on my mother's side.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 10:40 PM

It would have been an "elite" or high-end format for the enthusiast. I used to buy LDs (and I've kept them all) and I don't mind the big and less practical size. That adds to the value as collectors' items, IMO. That format would have been great. All that said, I'm still very, very happy with DVDs.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   John Chow

John Chow

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted June 14 2002 - 02:45 AM

It would definitely hurt portability. You wouldn't have any of the small dvd players with built in LCDs, nor would you be able to watch a dvd on a plane off of your laptop. Multi-function devices like the PS2 and the Xbox also wouldn't be able to play dvds. I think that's quite a high price to pay for a sense of eliteness and superiority that some seem to crave :P) Posted Image

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 14 2002 - 04:17 AM

And they'd cost more and sell less. We'd likely all own fewer movies and certain niche products might not be made available.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,761 posts

Posted June 14 2002 - 04:27 AM

If they were 12" (LD sized?) wouldn't they be more susceptible to laser rot (i.e. the layers pulling apart and letting air in)? I mean at that size the tension on the layers towards the outer edges would be significantly greater, right?

I don't know, I'm not a physics whiz, but that's what it seems like to me.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)