Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

reference test material

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   PatrickD

PatrickD

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 01 2001 - 11:36 AM

Heading out next week to audition speaker systems. Any sugestions for reference DVD to use for testing ? Separate stuff for sub testing? Thanks Patrick

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted July 01 2001 - 12:08 PM

Patrick,

Someone here at HTF suggested using VOGUE by Madonna as a reference when I was working with my sub a couple of months ago. They were right!

------------------
The Dark Tower

Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JohanK

JohanK

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted July 01 2001 - 03:40 PM

For music, I'd recommend CDs that you are very familiar with. I often use Dream Theater 'Awake' and NIN 'Pretty Hate Machine'. For bass, since I like electronic music, I often use Crystal Method 'Vegas' and Junkie XL 'Saturday Teenage Kick'.

For DVDs of movies, I use Haunting-DTS, Titan AE and U-571 among others. I don't have any music DVDs so I can't help ya there.

------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Posted Image
equipment list

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,960 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted July 02 2001 - 06:39 AM

For a CD with good bass material, Rickie Lee Jones', "Pop Pop" is good. If you are looing for a sub you may want to get the Delos label disc "Surround Sound Spectacular." It is a 2 disc set that is $17-18 that includes one disc of 5.1 music and one of tests, including bass tones (or Stereophile test disc 3 or an appropriate disc with test tones). I would not automatically presume that the subs are set up correctly in any store and it would not be a bad idea to play the bass tones while having a SPL meter in hand. At $35, the Radio Shack analog model will give you a rough idea at least and it will be of value in setting up your system.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted July 02 2001 - 11:03 AM

The best advice I ever received on testing hi-fi was that you don't spend your days listening for frequency extremes, spatial positioning, etc - you listen to *music*. Accordingly, take along some discs which you've played occasionally but aren't your all-time favourites (long story, but this makes any differences between the new system and your old one all the more telling). Sit back, see which one gives you the most *pleasure* and buy it. And if it doesn't happen to have the biggest or best technical specs, what does it matter if it's what *you* like the best?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted July 02 2001 - 12:24 PM

I have used "Hell freezes over" on cd and dvd alot while checking out speakers. ------------------

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 02 2001 - 12:43 PM

Acoustic vocal music, especially small ensemble jazz, can be very revealing in testing speaker performance. of course, if you are buying the speakers more for HT than for music, you will probably want to give them a stress test, too, I guess. Regards. ------------------ Ken McAlinden Livonia, MI USA
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   PatrickM

PatrickM

Screenwriter

• 1,140 posts

Posted July 02 2001 - 03:56 PM

If you can get your hands on it, the Holly Cole Trio's version of I Can See Clearly Now has incredible vocals and a killer stand up bass that will definitely test any systems ability to reproduce bass properly.

Patrick

------------------
My DVD Collection

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted July 03 2001 - 08:52 PM

Depending on the purpose of the speakers that you using for... For orchestral music,classical or movie scores,try- VIVALDI'S FOUR SEASON for the highs HANDEL's organ works for the lows BACH's BRANDENBURG CONCERTO for the mid and overall ambience and dimension HANS ZIMMER's GLADIATOR,THE ROCK,CRIMSON TIDE and MI2 for bass HANS ZIMMER's BACKDRAFT,GLADIATOR,PEARL HARBOR for highs JAMES HORNER's COURAGE UNDER FIRE for overall For music,songs,try- SARAH McCLACHLAN's ANGEL for mids and vocals For movies,try- SAVING PRIVATE RYAN- BEACH ATTACK AIR FORCE ONE- MIGS ATTACK GLADIATOR COURAGE UNDER FIRE THE HAUNTING RULES OF ENGAGEMENT- VIETCONS ATTACK ...and others more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users