-

Photo

Question about portable DVD players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 MoG

MoG

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 04:26 AM

Hi!

I did a bit more research and found a great link:
http://www.samsungus....00_compare.jpg

Taking into account it is on Samsung's web site, it seems to be a great comparison of all 3 portable DVD players I'm interested in.

I wasn't aware the Samsung had Faroudja processing.

Does anyone know the differences between Poly-Si TFT and Amorphous-Si TFT?

Finally, the only thing missing from the chart is which player has component outputs, but I found out both the Toshiba and Samsung do.

(Of course, now I need to find a way to see the toshiba and samsung in person!)

Samsung DVD-L100
Panasonic DVD-LA95
Toshiba SD-P2000

Has anyone used all 3 of these? I've seen the LA95 and liked it. Haven't seen the other two yet.
I'd also appreciate real-world battery-life comments.

#2 of 4 dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 05:28 AM

I think Poly means 2, and amor means 1 (or love) but I do know about the batteries... they suck. they dont last, you can barely get through a movie thats any longer than 100 minutes. get the car pack or the as adapter... I wish they could make a better battery just my opinion

#3 of 4 AlbertH

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 12:45 PM

I just fired up a toshiba sd-p2000 today at the best buy i work at. Popped in the fast and the furious and just seeing the text in the fbi warnings the first thing i said was WOW! IT was RAZOR SHARP. The movie itself looked gorgeous. I wasn't even wearing my glasses and it was a awesome picture. I guess a 9" screen with that high resolution really makes a huge difference. I feel sorry for anyone with their apex or mintek portable players.

#4 of 4 Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 02:46 PM

Watch out for artificial edge sharpening that can't be defeated. I tried a Panasonic that put it's own edge on everything.

Brian G.