Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Question about portable DVD players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MoG

MoG

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 04:26 AM

Hi!

I did a bit more research and found a great link:
http://www.samsungus....00_compare.jpg

Taking into account it is on Samsung's web site, it seems to be a great comparison of all 3 portable DVD players I'm interested in.

I wasn't aware the Samsung had Faroudja processing.

Does anyone know the differences between Poly-Si TFT and Amorphous-Si TFT?

Finally, the only thing missing from the chart is which player has component outputs, but I found out both the Toshiba and Samsung do.

(Of course, now I need to find a way to see the toshiba and samsung in person!)

Samsung DVD-L100
Panasonic DVD-LA95
Toshiba SD-P2000

Has anyone used all 3 of these? I've seen the LA95 and liked it. Haven't seen the other two yet.
I'd also appreciate real-world battery-life comments.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 05:28 AM

I think Poly means 2, and amor means 1 (or love) but I do know about the batteries... they suck. they dont last, you can barely get through a movie thats any longer than 100 minutes. get the car pack or the as adapter... I wish they could make a better battery just my opinion

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   AlbertH

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 12:45 PM

I just fired up a toshiba sd-p2000 today at the best buy i work at. Popped in the fast and the furious and just seeing the text in the fbi warnings the first thing i said was WOW! IT was RAZOR SHARP. The movie itself looked gorgeous. I wasn't even wearing my glasses and it was a awesome picture. I guess a 9" screen with that high resolution really makes a huge difference. I feel sorry for anyone with their apex or mintek portable players.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 02:46 PM

Watch out for artificial edge sharpening that can't be defeated. I tried a Panasonic that put it's own edge on everything.

Brian G.