-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New Line Press Release: BLADE II with new Release Date

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,332 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 02:50 AM

THE HUNT BEGINS AGAIN!

“Pure action, bloody well done!” Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Pulse-pounding!” Elvis Mitchell, New York Times

BLADE II
WESLEY SNIPES RETURNS AS THE SUPERHERO BLADE IN THE
ALL-GUNS-BLAZING, ALL-SWORDS-SLASHING ACTION EXTRAVAGANZA COMING TO DOUBLE-DISC PLATINUM SERIES DVD & VHS
SEPTEMBER 3 FROM NEW LINE HOME ENTERTAINMENT

LOS ANGELES, CA (June 3, 2002) -- Half vampire, half human, all hero -- Blade is back on the street and looking for vengeance in Blade II, coming to a double-disc Platinum Series DVD and VHS September 3 from New Line Home Entertainment. Blade II will be available to rent or to own on VHS and Platinum Series DVD,
with suggested retail prices of $22.94 for the VHS and $29.95 for the double-disc Platinum Series DVD.

The over $80 million box-office hit Blade II stars Wesley Snipes in the role of the vampire hunter Blade, the half-vampire “day-walker” superhero who lives to kill the undead. Snipes, himself a practicing martial artist, has built a loyal following of action fans with hits like Passenger 57, Demolition Man, Rising Sun, Money Train, U.S. Marshals and The Art of War. The first Blade film, based on the Marvel Comics superhero, was a blockbuster hit grossing more than $70 million during its theatrical release in August 1998, and the VHS and Platinum Series DVD of Blade have gone on to sell more than 3.5 million units since release.

In addition to Snipes, Blade II stars Kris Kristofferson (Planet of the Apes), returning as Blade’s mentor Whistler; Norman Reedus (Gossip, Deuces Wild); Luke Goss; Leonor Varela (Cleopatra, The Tailor of Panama); Ron Perlman (Enemy at the Gates, Star Trek: Nemesis) and Donnie Yen (Iron Monkey, Shanghai Knights). Already a star in Hong Kong martial arts films, Yen was also enlisted by Blade II’s director, Guillermo Del Toro (Mimic, The Devil’s Backbone), to help choreograph the predominantly wire-free fighting in the film.

Blade II was written by David S. Goyer (Blade, Dark City), based on characters created by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, with Gabriel Beristain serving as cinematographer. The ground-breaking soundtrack brings together hip-hop and techno artists such as Eve with Fatboy Slim, and Ice Cube with Paul Oakenfold, for exciting collaborations, and has sold over 170,000 units since its release on March 19.

Two DVDs Packed with Extras
Bonus Features on Disc 1:
•Commentary track with director Guillermo Del Toro and writer David Goyer
•Commentary track with producer Peter Frankfurt and Wesley Snipes
•Isolated score
•16X9 Widescreen (1.85:1)
•Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound – English
•DTS surround sound - English
•Stereo surround sound – English
•English subtitles and closed captions
•Animated menus

Bonus Features on Disc 2: (Approximately three hours of video material!)
•Production Workshop:
oDirector’s Notebook: Interactive reproduction of director’s notes with an intro by Del Toro
oA Pact in Blood: Interactive collection of original documentaries -- various docs on production, story and other subjects
oArt gallery
•Original theatrical press kit
•Deleted/alternate scenes
•Blade II video game survival guide
•Music video: Cypress Hill and Roni Size “Child of the Wild West”
•Theatrical trailers

DVD-ROM Content
•Script-to-Screen
•Original Website

The Blade II VHS edition will also feature the bonus Cypress Hill/Roni Size “Child of the Wild West” music video from Immortal Records. The packaging will be stickered to call out this added feature.
Blade II Synopsis
When the world is threatened by a new and deadlier breed of super vampire, the legendary Blade (Snipes) and his mentor Whistler (Kristofferson) must join forces with the Bloodpack, an elite team of vampire warriors made up of Blade’s sworn enemies. These ravenous fiends must be destroyed at all costs in this high-voltage adventure exploding with spectacular effects and martial arts action.

BLADE II Basics
TITLEFORMATSRP
BLADE II (English)VHS$22.94
BLADE II (Spanish)VHS$22.94
BLADE II (Platinum DVD – 2-disc)DVD$29.95

MPAA RATING: Rated R for strong pervasive violence, language, some drug use and sexual content

TRT:117 minutes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 04:04 AM

Here's the box art, courtesty of IGN:

Posted Image

Looks sweet, I'm glad they stuck with something resembling the original poster art. The reaper sillouhette (sp?) rules ass.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#3 of 31 Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 04:08 AM

Definitely a purchase for me!

I was hoping for a Infinifilm release with DD-EX...but I can dream.

Troy
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

#4 of 31 Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 05:00 AM

Surprised. The case is a keepcase for a Platinum edition. New Line was only using keepcases for Infinifilm and snappers for everything else. Must be because it is two discs!

#5 of 31 Richard cash

Richard cash

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 05:36 AM

i am very happy it has a dts soundtrack. The other extras look good too. I cant wait to see the deleted scenes.

#6 of 31 Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 05:56 AM

I am happy about DTS too. This is soooo bought it is not even funny..Looks great, sounds great. New line Plat does it again.
Marc_E

#7 of 31 Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 06:25 AM

I am wondering if they will release a 2 movie package with the first Blade and the sequel sold together.

#8 of 31 Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 04:34 PM

This is truly everything I hoped it would be. My number one requested DVD for this year so far. They were pretty damn smart picking September, as it's a dead month for releases and they can get several weeks of momentum.

Matt
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#9 of 31 JamesCS

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 09:35 PM

[Reading out-loud through Ron's post]..."let's see here, commentary track commentary track, OK, isolated score, good, Ah Ha! Here it is! 16X9 Widescreen (1.85:1). Excellent! I'm definitely picking this one up on release day."

Sorry folks, been traumatized with all the Pan&Scan nonsense going around lately. Seriously though, this is a thrilling action movie with outstanding DVD specs. I nominate it for the no-brainer-DVD-purchase-of-the-year award. Posted Image

#10 of 31 Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted June 12 2002 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
The reaper sillouhette (sp?) rules ass.

I am not sure who's ass this rules, but I am in agreement with you. Posted Image

I can't wait to get a hold of this DVD.

-Dean-

#11 of 31 Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore

Second Unit

• 340 posts

Posted June 13 2002 - 03:21 AM

/rant on

Ugh, why do they muck up great looking cover art with a reviewer's quote...even if it is Ebert? Get the quotes to the back I say...or leave them off. Blade II holds its own,it doesn't require help from a quote.

/rant off
In Violet Light
The Tragically Hip

#12 of 31 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted June 22 2002 - 02:20 PM

Just saw over at www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents that the release date has been moved up to August 30th, 2002.

#13 of 31 Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted June 23 2002 - 12:49 AM

i cant wait for the release.. and its keep case,two disc set plus nice extras... i must say new line has done very good this time round. i hope maybe they will re-release blade someday with a keepcase/ two disc set..

#14 of 31 Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted June 24 2002 - 12:08 AM

Quote:
i hope maybe they will re-release blade someday with a keepcase/ two disc set..

I doubt you will see a 2 disc set for the 1st Blade. The current release is pretty loaded with good extras.

-Dean-

#15 of 31 Chris M

Chris M

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted June 24 2002 - 02:45 AM

From DVD File:

Quote:
Street date alert - 12:01am

Just a quickie date change from New Line for that upcoming Blade II two-disc Platinum Series edition. Originally slated for a 9/3 release, it has been bumped up a two full weeks to 8/20. Specs remain the same...

20...30... wonder which is correct, or if thedigitalbits was mistaken... releasing a movie on a friday is unusual, especially for a title like Blade II.

Chris.

#16 of 31 Chris M

Chris M

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted June 24 2002 - 10:33 AM

The Digital Bits posted an update on this, and have confirmed that it was "moved" ahead to the 20th. Interesting Posted Image

Chris.

#17 of 31 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted June 24 2002 - 01:53 PM

This is so mine the date it comes out. This movie kicked sooooo much ass it isnt even funny. I remember in the theater I saw it at my friend and I who are all about reference soundtracks for HT were blown away by this film. The second thing we said after leaving the theater(after the obligatory "HELL YEAH") was that this is gonig to be one amazing sounding DVD. The sound when I saw it was bowels threatening.
CANNOT WAIT! New Line is going to rule this august...Lord of the Rings and Blade II...hell yeah!
If only Blade II were DD EX and DTS ES.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#18 of 31 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted June 24 2002 - 03:01 PM

Same thing here Sean, I walked out of the theater knowing this was a must buy. This baby will be awesome in DTS. Now if they could only move it up another 2 or 3 weeks.

#19 of 31 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted June 25 2002 - 12:13 PM

At the rate they keep moving this up, it may as well come out same day as LOTR and Simpsons...making me broke.Posted Image

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#20 of 31 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:37 PM

Go to www.ign.com on their DVD section. They have a menu grab and the back box art. It looks like this will have a DD EX and DTS ES track after all! BOOYA!

Forum Nav Content I Follow