What's new

THANK YOU Paramount, Robert Wise, et al - ST:TMP DE!!! (1 Viewer)

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to send out many, many thanks to everyone behind the Director's Edition DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I spent last night engrossed in the movie and the accompanying special features, and as a life-long Trek fan, thank all of you. The new edit and effects do wonders for the film, and the extras are equally 'fascinating'. I'm particularly fond of Michael Okuda's text commentary - great stuff, tons of tidbits, and a great sense of humor running throughout it.
Thanks again, and here's hoping for equally impressive sets for the rest of the series as they come out (and if Mr. Okuda would be so kind as to repeat his work with textual commentary tracks for the rest of the films, that would be wonderful!).
Live long and prosper.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I agree! Thank you for the disc! I loved the Okuda commentary too. Awesome DVD. I hope a new version of V can be done. I can't wait for the rest of the Special Editions. Thanks again.

Greg K

Second Unit
Although I'm not the biggest fan of STTMP, I greatly enjoyed the DE and all the great extras!!!!!!!! We can only pray that Wrath of Khan (my fave Trek film) will get that kind of treatment sometime soon!!!!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Martin-
Your Khan comment literally gave me goosbumps.
I was about to start a thread like this. Good goin' Woody.
If I can expect features like ones on TMP on the rest of the Classic Trek movies, I truly have something wonderful to look forward to.
THANK YOU!!!
Chris

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Mr Blythe, I've taken a quick look at the ST:TMP discs and it looks fabulous. Can't wait till tomorrow - I have nominated it as my Official Saturday Night Movie Of The Week (TM). :)
Please, is there any chance Khan can be a director's cut?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Ditto on the praise for Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut. Pass my thanks to Robert Wise Productions as well.
(BTW, there's another very active thread about the F13 movies, no need to bring it up in this one.)

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Okaay, let's try to keep on topic, eh?
The STiMP DE was a blast, much better pacing and plotting. Removal of the more annoying sounds (computer voice and sonic shower, eg) and the bringing in of SFX from classic and the STII red alert, all good. It feels like the grand scifi it was meant to be. Not my favorite Trek, but I think it just jumped a spot in my rankings.
Now Khan, that will be glorius! I still have my old "behind the scenes" booklet from opening night, great production stills etc, I know you folks will have plenty of material.
Since STII really established the "look and feel" of the features (aside from the ship), there is alot of production stuff for this one that is unique.
Ricardo is a must, in an interview if not commentary- and at the very least scenes from Space Seed if not the entire episode--
"We offered the world ORDER!"
"We?"

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Although praise is in order, I think there are added digital visual effects in this film that look downright atrocious. Shots of San Francisco and a few external shots of Enterprise when V'Ger creates the land bridge to its central core are VERY digital looking and jarringly bad. Did they run out of money somewhere along the way?
The dialog levels were far below the music and sound effects (and quite distorted). I had to screw around with the center channel level and EQ settings until I could get the right balance and I normally never have to do this even for older restored films. A very detailed and involved digital audio restoration and cleanup of the surviving dialog tracks would have been a wonderful addition.
For Star Trek II (hopefully in a director's cut) I hope you will contact Warner Brothers to see who was involved in the digital cleanup and color correction of the visual effects and negatives for Superman's Director's Edition. They did an outstanding job even though the negatives and separation composite mattes (for the optical effects) were very beat up.
Put the money into this "bread 'n' butter" franchise (as well as other classics) for future generations. If you don't do it now, you may never get the chance in the future as the negatives and sound elements will have become too far gone. Just consider the fate of the grand Todd-AO epic "Around the World in 80 Days" while you're at it... [a moment of silence, please]
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Well done Paramount! With the exception of the documentaries (which were nice but way too self-congradulatory and shallow) and the lack of any sort of concept art or photo gallery, this was a great disc! Bring on Khan! (Please keep the text commentaries!)

GregK

Screenwriter
A well done 2-disc set with the movie itself having
an overall VERY high bitrate. Add the 2nd disc loaded
with reams of deleted scenes and extras, and we see
how Sony TriStar's ..umm "Superbit" discs should REALLY
be done!
I hope all of the upcoming Trek SE DVDs prove to be
as good.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would like to say thanks for making the first special edition dvd out of a star trek movie. I do like the new director's cut.. I know that paramount could do much better.. look at fox dvds like the abyss, ID4, T2, fight club..many fans were happy with those SE.. I think that you could improve on the extras... and make alot of star trek fans happy..
please allow William Shatner a chance to finish Star Trek 5.. just like you did with Robert Wise on star trek 1.
thanks.
JACOB
------------------
The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.sarah-douglas.com
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Even though I have never been a huge fan of ST:TMP I would like to see this new cut. My friend bought it and Im borrowing his. Ive seen the extras on the back of the disc and heard so much about it Im curious. Im not a huge Trekkie but I do appreciate the show and liked the movies.
Martin,
Thanks for the heads up on Khan (my favorite Trek film). Cant wait!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Woody's first post says it all for me. I've seen it 4 times already since Tuesday. An excellent effort. Thanks to all involved for this version of Star Trek-The Motion Picture. The film finally gets it's due.
Nelson

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We are often far too quick to condemn when some little thing goes wrong in DVDLand. I'm glad that someone actually started this thread thanking a studio when they get things RIGHT--as this title obviously is.
Thanks to Paramount and the creative team that helped make this a possibility!
Bring on KHAN!
biggrin.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
When I got the DVD and popped it in, I was amazed. It felt like a whole new movie. Scenes that I remembered being slow were no longer that way. I used to doze off sometimes during some of the approach scenes if I was tired, but I stayed wide awake this time (even though I'd been up since 4am because I had to take my wife to the airport for an early flight that day) And this was the first time I'd ever seen it in widescreen too.
Absolutely magnificent. Thanks Paramount.
And as others around here have also mentioned, Khan is my favorite (and the first one I ever saw in theaters). I can't wait.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks