Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

THANK YOU Paramount, Robert Wise, et al - ST:TMP DE!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   WoodyH

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted November 07 2001 - 01:31 PM

Just wanted to send out many, many thanks to everyone behind the Director's Edition DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I spent last night engrossed in the movie and the accompanying special features, and as a life-long Trek fan, thank all of you. The new edit and effects do wonders for the film, and the extras are equally 'fascinating'. I'm particularly fond of Michael Okuda's text commentary - great stuff, tons of tidbits, and a great sense of humor running throughout it.

Thanks again, and here's hoping for equally impressive sets for the rest of the series as they come out (and if Mr. Okuda would be so kind as to repeat his work with textual commentary tracks for the rest of the films, that would be wonderful!).

Live long and prosper. Posted Image Posted Image

------------------
Woody Hanscom
My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...
Michael Hanscom
Eclecticism

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 10:35 AM

I agree! Thank you for the disc! I loved the Okuda commentary too. Awesome DVD. I hope a new version of V can be done. I can't wait for the rest of the Special Editions. Thanks again.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 04:27 PM

Thanks. I think everybody involved feels very gratified at how well it's turned out. Rolling on to Khan!

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg K

Greg K

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 04:37 PM

Although I'm not the biggest fan of STTMP, I greatly enjoyed the DE and all the great extras!!!!!!!! We can only pray that Wrath of Khan (my fave Trek film) will get that kind of treatment sometime soon!!!!

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted November 09 2001 - 06:43 AM

Martin- Your Khan comment literally gave me goosbumps. I was about to start a thread like this. Good goin' Woody. If I can expect features like ones on TMP on the rest of the Classic Trek movies, I truly have something wonderful to look forward to. THANK YOU!!! Chris

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   WoodyH

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted November 09 2001 - 09:51 AM

[quote]

Rolling on to Khan!

[quote]

Woohoo! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

------------------
Woody Hanscom
My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...
Michael Hanscom
Eclecticism

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted November 09 2001 - 09:55 AM

Mr Blythe, I've taken a quick look at the ST:TMP discs and it looks fabulous. Can't wait till tomorrow - I have nominated it as my Official Saturday Night Movie Of The Week ™. Posted Image

Please, is there any chance Khan can be a director's cut?

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,801 posts

Posted November 09 2001 - 07:21 PM

Ditto on the praise for Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut. Pass my thanks to Robert Wise Productions as well. (BTW, there's another very active thread about the F13 movies, no need to bring it up in this one.)
"Go ahead...make my day."
Read my new blog at www.bigscreenclassics.com

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted November 09 2001 - 07:22 PM

Okaay, let's try to keep on topic, eh? The STiMP DE was a blast, much better pacing and plotting. Removal of the more annoying sounds (computer voice and sonic shower, eg) and the bringing in of SFX from classic and the STII red alert, all good. It feels like the grand scifi it was meant to be. Not my favorite Trek, but I think it just jumped a spot in my rankings. Now Khan, that will be glorius! I still have my old "behind the scenes" booklet from opening night, great production stills etc, I know you folks will have plenty of material. Since STII really established the "look and feel" of the features (aside from the ship), there is alot of production stuff for this one that is unique. Ricardo is a must, in an interview if not commentary- and at the very least scenes from Space Seed if not the entire episode-- "We offered the world ORDER!" "We?"
"I didn't know you had antennae."

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted November 10 2001 - 10:01 AM

Although praise is in order, I think there are added digital visual effects in this film that look downright atrocious. Shots of San Francisco and a few external shots of Enterprise when V'Ger creates the land bridge to its central core are VERY digital looking and jarringly bad. Did they run out of money somewhere along the way? The dialog levels were far below the music and sound effects (and quite distorted). I had to screw around with the center channel level and EQ settings until I could get the right balance and I normally never have to do this even for older restored films. A very detailed and involved digital audio restoration and cleanup of the surviving dialog tracks would have been a wonderful addition. For Star Trek II (hopefully in a director's cut) I hope you will contact Warner Brothers to see who was involved in the digital cleanup and color correction of the visual effects and negatives for Superman's Director's Edition. They did an outstanding job even though the negatives and separation composite mattes (for the optical effects) were very beat up. Put the money into this "bread 'n' butter" franchise (as well as other classics) for future generations. If you don't do it now, you may never get the chance in the future as the negatives and sound elements will have become too far gone. Just consider the fate of the grand Todd-AO epic "Around the World in 80 Days" while you're at it... [a moment of silence, please] Dan ------------------ Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Luis A

Luis A

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted November 10 2001 - 04:16 PM

Well done, and many thanks. Posted Image
L

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted November 10 2001 - 05:06 PM

Well done Paramount! With the exception of the documentaries (which were nice but way too self-congradulatory and shallow) and the lack of any sort of concept art or photo gallery, this was a great disc! Bring on Khan! (Please keep the text commentaries!)

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted November 10 2001 - 05:43 PM

A well done 2-disc set with the movie itself having an overall VERY high bitrate. Add the 2nd disc loaded with reams of deleted scenes and extras, and we see how Sony TriStar's ..umm "Superbit" discs should REALLY be done! I hope all of the upcoming Trek SE DVDs prove to be as good.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted November 10 2001 - 07:03 PM

I would like to say thanks for making the first special edition dvd out of a star trek movie. I do like the new director's cut.. I know that paramount could do much better.. look at fox dvds like the abyss, ID4, T2, fight club..many fans were happy with those SE.. I think that you could improve on the extras... and make alot of star trek fans happy..

please allow William Shatner a chance to finish Star Trek 5.. just like you did with Robert Wise on star trek 1.

thanks.

JACOB

------------------

The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.sarah-douglas.com
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheat....ML/002724.html

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted November 11 2001 - 11:01 AM

Even though I have never been a huge fan of ST:TMP I would like to see this new cut. My friend bought it and Im borrowing his. Ive seen the extras on the back of the disc and heard so much about it Im curious. Im not a huge Trekkie but I do appreciate the show and liked the movies. Martin, Thanks for the heads up on Khan (my favorite Trek film). Cant wait!!
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted November 13 2001 - 01:04 PM

I just wanted to add my thanks for this DVD. Great job Paramount!! Posted Image

Gregory

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,718 posts

Posted November 13 2001 - 02:04 PM

Yes, Woody's first post says it all for me. I've seen it 4 times already since Tuesday. An excellent effort. Thanks to all involved for this version of Star Trek-The Motion Picture. The film finally gets it's due. Nelson

#18 of 19 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,107 posts

Posted November 13 2001 - 04:25 PM

We are often far too quick to condemn when some little thing goes wrong in DVDLand. I'm glad that someone actually started this thread thanking a studio when they get things RIGHT--as this title obviously is.

Thanks to Paramount and the creative team that helped make this a possibility!

Bring on KHAN! Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 14 2001 - 09:48 AM

When I got the DVD and popped it in, I was amazed. It felt like a whole new movie. Scenes that I remembered being slow were no longer that way. I used to doze off sometimes during some of the approach scenes if I was tired, but I stayed wide awake this time (even though I'd been up since 4am because I had to take my wife to the airport for an early flight that day) And this was the first time I'd ever seen it in widescreen too.

Absolutely magnificent. Thanks Paramount.

And as others around here have also mentioned, Khan is my favorite (and the first one I ever saw in theaters). I can't wait.

------------------
My DVD Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users